IGNORED

Fixed My TT030 Keyboard

atarifan49

I was amazed for once to be able to go to Radio Shack and find a part to fix my TT030 keyboard. For a long time I had two keyboards, a TT030 and Mega, that had the retaining clip broken off the connector. So I had to deal with tucking the cable under the corner of the TT to keep it plugged in. For about $6 I was able to buy some RJ25 connectors (6 pin versions of RJ11 telephone line connector). I was able to cut the old one off and crimp on a new one and it works perfectly. Nice to have a repair job work out.

Glenn

• Like 1

That's sweet Glenn! Glad you got it working. I never even had a keyboard for my Mega STE, and they are so expensive I just modded my STF keyboard with a RJ11 cable running out the back to connect it to my Mega STE. I'm putting that keyboard into my "new" STE right now so I can use it with my Mega STE the same way...it's a LOT cheaper than forking over $100+ for a Mega/TT keyboard!

You understand why they are so expensive? Bruce of B&C told me that its due to the fact that there are so few remaining. For him to sell a keyboard means he has one less complete TT030 system he can sell. I guess Atari just didn't make enough spare keyboards.

I got lucky some years ago and ran across a MegaST keyboard in a thrift shop. I grabbed it so I could have a backup keyboard. It too had a bad RJ25 connector that I was able to replace. But the keys on it are having debounce issues. Some keys I have to wiggle to try and breakup corrosion build up. Not good!

A good alternative seems to be the Eiffel enhancement to use a PC keyboard and mouse - page 1 and page 2.

Glenn

That Eiffel enhancement does look pretty cool, thanks for the links, I *may* use it one day, but actually I'm quite happy with my arrangement as it is, using an ST computer. 1) it matches the Mega STE color/style/design. 2) the keys are all the same, I don't have to learn keyboard "equivalents." 3) I can still use the ST for 100% compatibility, all I have to do is plug in the monitor. 4) I can still use regular joystick and matching Atari mouse controllers through it (what do you do for joystick control with the eiffel?). 5) It's a HELL of a lot easier to modify the ST&keyboard than build that Eiffel interface, which still has the above shortcomings I listed. :cool:

Besides, I'm hoping I can one day find a Mega/STE/TT keyboard in the wild myself, if not the entire system (TT), for dirt cheap like you did!

Edited by Gunstar

But the keys on it are having debounce issues. Some keys I have to wiggle to try and breakup corrosion build up. Not good!

Glenn

Surely you can open it up and clean/repair it? I'd at least try myself.

But the keys on it are having debounce issues. Some keys I have to wiggle to try and breakup corrosion build up. Not good!

Glenn

Surely you can open it up and clean/repair it? I'd at least try myself.

It probably needs that. Have any suggestions on a possible fluid to use for cleaning?

I generally start with plain old rubbing alchohol and a soft bristled toothbrush. I've also come to rely on another product in my refurbishing efforts; 'LA's Totally AWESOME' all-purpose concentrated cleaner/degreaser&spot remover. Found at Dollar General and stores. I'm sure it's available elsewhere, but that's where I buy it. It comes in cylindrical plastic bottles that are slightly opaque like Milk containers, with red lettering.

Edited by Gunstar

• 7 years later...