IGNORED

Road Riot Source Code

Curt Vendel

After reading through the sources I cannot understand how Atari was able to fit this into 256k. The sounds alone are 558k.

Most of the code is really there but the include files and included libraries are missing.

#ifdef ARIUM

#include "prog/inc/rrdef.h"

#include "prog/inc/mobinc.h"

#include "prog/inc/hrdwmap.h"

#include "prog/inc/buttons.h"

#include "prog/inc/message.h"

#include "prog/inc/gcode.h"

#include "prog/inc/plrcase.h"

#include "prog/inc/audio.h"

#include "prog/inc/eeprom.h"

#include "prog/inc/spchars.h"

#include "prog/inc/states.h"

#include "prog/inc/structs.h"

#include "prog/inc/carinc.h"

#include "prog/inc/comminc.h"

#else

#include "inc:rrdef.h"

#include "inc:mobinc.h"

#include "inc:hrdwmap.h"

#include "inc:buttons.h"

#include "inc:message.h"

#include "inc:gcode.h"

#include "inc:plrcase.h"

#include "inc:audio.h"

#include "inc:eeprom.h"

#include "inc:spchars.h"

#include "inc:states.h"

#include "inc:structs.h"

#include "inc:carinc.h"

#include "inc:comminc.h"

#endif

My guess is that this archive is a snapshot taken somewhere half through the porting from the original arcade game to the Lynx.

Reading the code also explains why the controls don't really work on the Lynx. The original software uses pedals and potentiometers for controlling the cars. The code is also multi-player!

But this is very interesting to read. Thanks!!!

--

Regards,

Karri

Wa,Wa, Wait a minute now......this source code is 68000 code....

correct me if I am wrong but is not the Lynx a 6502?

So my guess this is the ST version of maybe the very arcade version?

The point here is that is can be ported to the JAguar since it is C and

68k asm.

Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks.

Edited by Gorf

Wa,Wa, Wait a minute now......this source code is 68000 code....

correct me if I am wrong but is not the Lynx a 6502?

I understood it was in the 6502 family, true.

That IS weird if it is in 68000 code.

About 90 % of the code is C. There is a small part of asm defines and some minor 68k code. It appears to be the original arcade code.

The graphics alone is above 2MB and the downscaling of the grapics is not done to Lynx resolutions.

There is a compilation flag DEVELOPEMENT that is set when compiling for the Lynx.

Of all the codes posted the most interesting is Battlezone and Rampart. I may learn a lot from them.

--

Karri

Anyone ever tried to link a Lynx to a Jag console - to act as a controller or an extension of a game?

Rumor had it early in the Jag's announcements of the possibility of using a Lynx as a Jag advanced controller.

It would be interesting to start out small, just get the Lynx d pad and buttons to talk through the Jag's front controller ports, then perhaps Lynx-network it to a Jag and start to take steps towards having a screen on the Lynx update with a screen on the jag and move forward from there.

Curt

About 90 % of the code is C. There is a small part of asm defines and some minor 68k code. It appears to be the original arcade code.

That is what I thought and this could help to make it runnable on the Jaguar too.

Anyone ever tried to link a Lynx to a Jag console - to act as a controller or an extension of a game?

Rumor had it early in the Jag's announcements of the possibility of using a Lynx as a Jag advanced controller.

It would be interesting to start out small, just get the Lynx d pad and buttons to talk through the Jag's front controller ports, then perhaps Lynx-network it to a Jag and start to take steps towards having a screen on the Lynx update with a screen on the jag and move forward from there.

Curt

A Lynx controller for the Jaguar.. tempting. :)

That probably would not be the hard part. Coming up with a game and dual development for it

would be the tough part. I guess with the right Lynx/Jag dev union it could certainly happen.

You'd need a bit of hardware help but there are plenty of folks here too.