IGNORED

ST Star Raiders Source Code

I won't even ask when you got them, but thanks :)

Taking a look at the sources, it should have taken a hell of a lot of time to assemble. It seems as68 doesn't know what incbin is, so most of the source are data files converted to dc.b statements! (I guess the linker should handle that, but I'm not sure)

This being 68k could port the the JAg with a bit of work....but then again, we already have BS.

Someone could take this game and make a networked JAg version. It may not be BattleSphere

but it IS Star Raiders!

Networked Star Raiders. Interesting.

Good thing about that is in this game there is a view of another Star Ship. So that's helpful. (show in the ending screen)

It wont exactly be a cake walk and only one team knows the bug free way to

do networking.

So noone else can find that? Or have they pattened it too?

The trouble with the Scatologic code is the game really needs to be designed around it and not the

other way around. You do know that the networking code in BS is setup in such a way as to actually

make the Jag's hooked up in net mode work more efficiently, right?

I highly doubt ST SR has code even remotely close to what would be needed to use it in SR.

Did Jag Aircars use Scatologic's code? I've never played it networked, but I've also never heard of Aircars having network problems like Doom...

getting back more to topic...I've never played ST Star Raiders, I guess I should check it out. Is it more like 8-bit SR or SR2/LSF? I ask becuase I recall 8-bit SR2 and ST SR coming out about the same time. yeah, I can find out for myself, but I have to buy the game first! Is it bitmapped/sprite graphics or is it vector/polygonal? Heck, I JUST got StarGlider 2 for the ST!

post-149-1202754695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Did Jag Aircars use Scatologic's code? I've never played it networked, but I've also never heard of Aircars having network problems like Doom...

getting back more to topic...I've never played ST Star Raiders, I guess I should check it out. Is it more like 8-bit SR or SR2/LSF? I ask becuase I recall 8-bit SR2 and ST SR coming out about the same time. yeah, I can find out for myself, but I have to buy the game first! Is it bitmapped/sprite graphics or is it vector/polygonal? Heck, I JUST got StarGlider 2 for the ST!

No Air Cars did use the Scat-o-Logic code. But the engine was...well...you've seen it.

Just because it used the code, does not mean it used it efficiently.

In my opinion? Nothing is like 8 bit Star Raiders....nothing.

BattleSphere's version is a new territory based on it but

it's a new deal(awsome beyond awsome). The ST version

is nice and even 'cute' in some spots but it's too nice. There

is just something to that old 8 bit charm.

No Air Cars did use the Scat-o-Logic code. But the engine was...well...you've seen it.

Just because it used the code, does not mean it used it efficiently.

In my opinion? Nothing is like 8 bit Star Raiders....nothing.

BattleSphere's version is a new territory based on it but

it's a new deal(awsome beyond awsome). The ST version

is nice and even 'cute' in some spots but it's too nice. There

is just something to that old 8 bit charm.

That's why I never bothered to get&play other versions (well that and becuase I didn't even own my first ST until 2001), even if the graphics were better, I could never believe any other version played better than the 8-bit/5200. Actually, I did used to own&play the 2600 version, before I got my first 8-bit, and it was really good for the 2600, but it doesn't compare to the original either. As I recall, it was missing a lot from the original too. Still, if I can find a cheap copy of the ST version I'll try it. But my favorite ST space game is EPIC (I just wish it would work on my 16Mhz Mega STE to improve the frame rate, like many other ST polygon games do). I haven't had time to play Starglider 2 yet, I'm crossing my fingers that it will work in 16Mhz mode for fast&smooth play...

Edited by Gunstar

You should also try zero 5 on your STE. You'll like it :)

I love it. I have had a Mega STE with Zero 5 for a while, it kicks butt at 16Mhz! I am looking forward to trying it on my 1040STE, so I can use my Jaguar controller on the advanced controller ports, but I may end up prefering the faster frame rate at 16Mhz, so I may continue putting up with the mouse&keyboard instead of a slower 8Mhz speed with the Jag controller...I'll let you know. :) Eventually, I'll get the Falcon and have the best of both worlds and more!

Edited by Gunstar