IGNORED

Solitare card games for the Lynx

karri

Karri,

Just to let you know, I had sent a couple of messages to EricDeLee (one in this thread and one PM) asking him if he wanted to handle writing the Lynx 20th anniv part, since he said he wanted to help. But since he did not respond to either request, and I know we're running short on time, I've began working on it today. I'll have something to send you in a day or two.

Cheers,

Smeg

Sorry about that Smeg. Go ahead with your plans, I'm unable to really dedicate time to writing anything right now. I'm a bit tied up for the next two weeks. :(

I'll still play test this though. I'll be able to play more this weekend while I'm at work

That's fine. I still think we should stick to the original time schedule. 17 days to the Hi-Score weekend. I hope to have everything ready by then. After the weekend I just insert the best hi-scores to the binary and let it out on th 1st of September.

--

Long live the Lynx,

Karri

Here is the latest binary. It should now set the high scores too. Names are not editable yet.

solitaire_2009_08_11.zip

But all the games should now be the final versions.

The only things not done yet are:

- new music

- buying tunes

- editing user names

(I hope that there is no more stuff to fix.)

--

Karri

A couple of comments:

On Spider Easy, I had it lock up on me after hitting B to deal for the first time. I had to turn the Lynx off and back on. No problems after that.

Also on Spider Easy, when a set is completed and it turns into a stack with Ace on top, the player should be able to hit A to place the stack. As it is now, you have to move, then move back before you can hit A to drop the stack. Also, once the stack is dropped, you can't move the cursor down, you must move it either left or right first. Those two things should be altered.

On Klondike Draw 3, I don't think it's actually drawing three cards. At least, if you pull the face-up card off the pile and play it, there's never a card underneath it. (Okay, I just played Klondike, and that's working fine. If you pull the face-up card off the pile, there is a card under it. But on Klondike 3, there is never a card under it.)

Also, is hitting Opt 1 supposed to restart the same game? I figured it would start a new game, but (at least on Klondike 3) it's restarts the same game.

And BTW, I like the little extra you've programmed into it! Nice! :) :D

Cheers,

Smeg

Edited by Atari Smeghead

On Spider Easy, I had it lock up on me after hitting B to deal for the first time. I had to turn the Lynx off and back on. No problems after that.

I also had it lock up on Spider Medium. Same situation. I turned off the music, picked the game, moved a few cards around, then when I hit B to deal a new round, it froze up. I believe, but I can't be sure, that it does set one card down before locking up. Again, I turned the Lynx off and on, and it played fine after that.

Cheers,

Smeg

I also had it lock up on Spider Medium. Same situation. I turned off the music, picked the game, moved a few cards around, then when I hit B to deal a new round, it froze up. I believe, but I can't be sure, that it does set one card down before locking up. Again, I turned the Lynx off and on, and it played fine after that.

Cheers,

Smeg

Thanks, found it.

solitaire_2009_08_13.zip

Perhaps I should add a small spread to klondike 3.

--

Karri

Also, is hitting Opt 1 supposed to restart the same game? I figured it would start a new game, but (at least on Klondike 3) it's restarts the same game.

It restarts the same game. Currently the only way to start a new game is to go back to the main menu.

--

Karri

Your newest version has an interesting quirk. In Spider (Easy, at least) when you create a full stack and it automatically puts it up in the corner, it shows in the pile as the 2 (instead of the ace) because the ace is still being drawn on the table, under the ten piles. Play a game, and you'll see what I mean.

In fact, it's only putting the first two stacks on top... well, they aren't being drawn, but they are there. If you move the cursor up there, it acts as if the cards are there, but they aren't being drawn.

Cheers,

Smeg

I found another problem, this one with Spider Medium. I cannot put a red card on a black card, and vice-versa. Y'know, I can't play a red 3 on a black 4, for instance.

Edited by Atari Smeghead

Your newest version has an interesting quirk. In Spider (Easy, at least) when you create a full stack and it automatically puts it up in the corner, it shows in the pile as the 2 (instead of the ace) because the ace is still being drawn on the table, under the ten piles. Play a game, and you'll see what I mean.

In fact, it's only putting the first two stacks on top... well, they aren't being drawn, but they are there. If you move the cursor up there, it acts as if the cards are there, but they aren't being drawn.

Cheers,

Smeg

I found another problem, this one with Spider Medium. I cannot put a red card on a black card, and vice-versa. Y'know, I can't play a red 3 on a black 4, for instance.

I tried to feed the ace to the animator. Obviously it does not work that way. I fixed the stacks by moving without animations.

I have never played spider so I thought that 3 and 4 have to belong to the same suit. Well, I have to fix that one.

--

Thanks,

Karri

I had some time to play with this. I only played Klondike, and only on Handy.

I like that names and scores will be added. (I haven't played long enough to earn a score I guess).

Is it possible to add another letter to the High Score names? Instead of 4 characters... make it 5? (yep... I generally like to type 'DeLee'). Just wondering, it really isn't a big deal at all.

I did wonder about something. When you are playing Klondike, it seems like it is cheating a bit. When you remove a card from one pile to place it on top of another pile... you get a sneak peek at the next card in the pile (the one that is turned over and you aren't supposed to peek at). If I see this card is a black card (spade or club) and I know I need a red card, I could simply put that card back to where it was... and leave that pile alone.

Just wondering as it seems like cheating. LOL

I did wonder about something. When you are playing Klondike, it seems like it is cheating a bit. When you remove a card from one pile to place it on top of another pile... you get a sneak peek at the next card in the pile (the one that is turned over and you aren't supposed to peek at). If I see this card is a black card (spade or club) and I know I need a red card, I could simply put that card back to where it was... and leave that pile alone.

Eric,

I'm can't wrap my mind arouond what you're talking about. Are you using the newest version? On either of the Klondikes (with the version from 8/14, at least) when you move a card or cards from one of the 7 piles, the card under that is face down. It only flips when you place it in a valid location.

If you're talking about pulling a card from the draw pile, the cards underneath the current card are cards you would see anyway (or already know). On Windows Solitaire, the three cards are fanned, so you can see all of them anyway.

Sorry, I guess I don't get what you mean. Maybe Karri does.

Cheers,

Smeg

Eric,

I'm can't wrap my mind arouond what you're talking about. Are you using the newest version? On either of the Klondikes (with the version from 8/14, at least) when you move a card or cards from one of the 7 piles, the card under that is face down. It only flips when you place it in a valid location.

If you're talking about pulling a card from the draw pile, the cards underneath the current card are cards you would see anyway (or already know). On Windows Solitaire, the three cards are fanned, so you can see all of them anyway.

Sorry, I guess I don't get what you mean. Maybe Karri does.

Cheers,

Smeg

yep... I am using the latest version... and I mean the top face down card of each 7 piles.

If I remove the face up card and act like I am placing it somewhere, it gives you a small peek of the next card. you can tell if it is a red card or black. i think you can make out the hearts easily. Then I can put that card back... I'll see if I can get a pic of it

I like that names and scores will be added. (I haven't played long enough to earn a score I guess).

Is it possible to add another letter to the High Score names? Instead of 4 characters... make it 5? (yep... I generally like to type 'DeLee'). Just wondering, it really isn't a big deal at all.

The question is the use of EEPROM. It is 128 bytes.

To do this I need to reduce the character set to 6 bits/character. 6 times 5 = 30. It will still fit into 4 bytes.

So no problem.

--

Karri

Status report of solitaire.

The latest binary is here:

solitaire_2009_08_17.zip

Missing:

- several tunes (I decided to go into midi after all)

- drum synthesizer (idea is clear but no code yet)

- lynx coin graphics (I got he graphics already but it is not in the game yet)

- cheat mode indication (cheating players should not get into hiscore table)

- AtariAge news bulletin (missing text and graphics)

- packaging graphics (cover image and layout missing)

Ready:

- all games work as they should

- music buying/playing logic implemented (could look nicer though)

- manual text (thanks Randy)

- credits screens

- hiscore screens

I wll be on a work trip to Japan for this week so no new updates for a while.

Any help in designing the cover image would be appreciated.

I was thinking to make a cover image with a big Unbirthday cake and some playing cards. Here are a few pictures from the web that might be an inspiration. Any artists around?

post-2099-1250487319_thumb.jpg

post-2099-1250487356_thumb.jpg

post-2099-1250487383_thumb.jpg

post-2099-1250487414_thumb.jpg

Matashen did a very nice Yastuna box design at Yastuna box design

Something similar would be very nice for the Solitaire also.

--

Karri

Hi Karri,

i am sure matashen will do this for you. He did the Yastuna Box 1 & 2 for me and the Cover for the DS-like Box i use for the FlashCard.

Ask him and provide some text and pictures.

Kind Regards

Lynxman

Edited by Lynxman

The latest Solitaire binary is now up for playing in the High Score forum.

Solitaire High Score contest

You can now celebrate the Lynx 20 years anniversary by playing Solitaire and getting some great high scores. The 8 best high scores will enter the "Hall of fame". So now is your chance to get your name on a real Lynx game cart release.

I am still fixing bugs in the background music during the weekend. On Monday I will gather the best scores and release the final binary and manual.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

Ran into something recently with a few games of Klondike:

post-3390-125145704931.png

Notice the draw pile?

if it is the last card of the draw pile, it seems to act a bit strange.

It offsets itself as seen in the picture. But worst of all: it won't let you select the card if it goes to this 'offset' temper tantrum.

If it is a playable card you need, you simply won't be able to use it. I "BELIEVE" it was on Klondike 3 when I spotted this. I do recall one moment where I needed the card in order to advance my playing (so i can uncover one of the pile by moving cards over). However it would not allow me to do so.

Lastly: I know you can reset the cards to play the same game... however, if you are just frustrated with that game, and want to go back to the menu to re-deal the cards, is there an option to do so? Or can there be? I'm thinking if it can happen it would be great so that you don't lose your high score when you are playing the game on real hardware. I understand there will be a save feature, so that may just be a moot point.

Ran into something recently with a few games of Klondike:

post-3390-125145704931.png

Notice the draw pile?

Need to fix that one. Thanks!

if you are just frustrated with that game, and want to go back to the menu to re-deal the cards, is there an option to do so?

Oh yes! Reset will do that (Opt1 + Opt2). It takes you back to main menu. This Reset function is not same as "Power off - Power on".

--

Karri