IGNORED

K.O. Cruiser - my first homebrew

Devin

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I wanted to let you know that I am (finally) getting back to work on this project. I am currently working on the sound engine, so I won't have a new binary for a while.

However, in the meantime, I've created some variations of the colors used on the fight screen. I would love to hear everyone's feedback on which color scheme they think is best. ... or even suggest a new one.

Have a great day.

post-17256-1213448312_thumb.png

post-17256-1213448317_thumb.png

post-17256-1213448321_thumb.png

post-17256-1213448325_thumb.png

post-17256-1213448329_thumb.png

post-17256-1213448333_thumb.png

The two with the black backgrounds behind the ropes have the best contrast, and help to sell the idea that there is a large arena back there.

I like the look of the green canvas a little better than the gray, but in part, which will work best will depend on the color schemes of the rest of the fighters. If they have clothes that are near that of the canvas, they'll partially disappear on some TVs (which could actually be desirable, if you were fighting someone like The Phantom Limb, for example ;) ).

Thanks for your feedback guys. Right now there is a 2-2 tie between the green canvas and blue canvas.

I might have to make the background dark gray, one of the "must have" boxers in this game will have black hair. I can also look into having different backgrounds depending on each boxer. This was a future enhancement, but it might become necessary for this one.

• 1 month later...

For the depth effect, what about using a gradient?

post-5182-1216597023_thumb.png

That's just a quick illustration, and I don't know what shades of gray you actually have on the 2600. Since the areas between the ropes are vertically separated, I'm assuming those regions don't need to be the same color, do they?

BTW my use of that picture is not a vote in favor of any particular color scheme. :)

For the depth effect, what about using a gradient?

post-5182-1216597023_thumb.png

That's just a quick illustration, and I don't know what shades of gray you actually have on the 2600. Since the areas between the ropes are vertically separated, I'm assuming those regions don't need to be the same color, do they?

BTW my use of that picture is not a vote in favor of any particular color scheme. :)

I love that look! ... but the Atari only has a whopping 8 shades of gray. :(

I can do something like attached image. The picture (at least to me) looks like there is an audience.

post-17256-1216635764_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. I wanted to let you all know that this project is still in the works - and going quite well at the moment.

I've attached the latest binary and screenshot.

I still have some work to do. Here is a list of things I have yet to fix or add:

• I still haven't added background music. Perhaps I will go with a simple beat.
  • I haven't created the logic for the knockdown 10 counts. Currently, the program just loops indefinitely (and locks up).
  • The first character you are fighting will be called "Tomato Stan" or perhaps "Dan". In Punch-Out, Glass Joe is a combination of "Joe Palooka" and "Glass Jaw" - both terms for poor boxers. There is also another, older, term "tomato can" which describes a poor boxer. Given that I am from Sacramento and the city has the nickname "The Big Tomato", it fits incredibly well! :)
  • I don't like the "knockout punch" sound or the falling sound. I will work on both. The "player hit" sound needs a little work.
  • The macro used by Tomato Stan is very simple - and he lacks any special moves. He will eventually have one (or two).
  • I haven't' fixed the horizontal positioning bug that Zach found. I will fix it - and its not hard to fix.

Cheers.

KO_Cruiser_WIP_2008_08_23.bin

post-17256-1219580155_thumb.png

Edited by Devin

Devin, the game is coming along very nicely!

I still haven't added background music. Perhaps I will go with a simple beat.

I have a bunch of tunes that I've written in Batari Basic that might be of use:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116958

Right now, the only one that's "claimed" is the one I called "underwater theme" (and I'll have to check on that, I'm not sure if atari2600land is still using it for Gosub 2). Off the cuff, I wonder if some combination of the first two, "main theme" and "new theme", might work -- perhaps one for gameplay, and the other for a title screen? For gameplay, you could mute one of the voices as needed, or completely if need be. I also have a few other fragments not posted on that page.

Of course, I'll understand if none of these are a good fit.

(Maybe I should take a shot at a "boxing theme" -- I haven't written any new 2600 tunes since that thread was posted last Thanksgiving!)

I have a bunch of tunes that I've written in Batari Basic that might be of use:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116958

(Maybe I should take a shot at a "boxing theme" -- I haven't written any new 2600 tunes since that thread was posted last Thanksgiving!)

That music was incredible!

I don't think the game will have intro screen music, but during gameplay I will have something. It has to be fairly simple since I plan to use just one of the channels (one channel for FX, the other for music).

Your music is just too good! :)

Edited by Devin

Devin and Nathan, thanks very much for the kind words! Programming music for the 2600 is a lot of fun, despite my limited knowledge of bB (let alone my nonexistent knowledge of ASM!).

Devin, here are a couple quick attempts at a "boxing theme". Both are written to use only one voice.

boxingtheme_4.bas.bin

This one's more elaborate. Note that as programmed, it technically uses both voices, but only one is sounding at a time, so it should be possible to reprogram it.

boxingtheme_8.bas.bin

This one's simpler/more minimalist, and literally only uses one voice at once. Maybe this would be better for gameplay, since it takes up less (aural) space. It has a bass drum beat, but it's very very crude, as I'm only beginning to look at the noise channel/drum sound effects in the 2600.

(EDIT: Slight update to #8.)

Edited by thegoldenband

Totally excited about this. Thoughts:

Two joystick support- one for each arm.

Or sideways keyboard controller support- like an NES controller (think about it- 123 (A) and 456 (B) are the action buttons and 8 left 0 right 9 up and 7 down. Stupid!

Thumb wrecking activision boxing button mashing mode.

Packaging: a boxing glove. Couldn't be that much more expensive than limited production full color boxes.

Suggestion for a King Hippo type punching bag name: George Moreman

Devin and Nathan, thanks very much for the kind words! Programming music for the 2600 is a lot of fun, despite my limited knowledge of bB (let alone my nonexistent knowledge of ASM!).

Devin, here are a couple quick attempts at a "boxing theme". Both are written to use only one voice.

boxingtheme_4.bas.bin

This one's more elaborate. Note that as programmed, it technically uses both voices, but only one is sounding at a time, so it should be possible to reprogram it.

boxingtheme_8.bas.bin

This one's simpler/more minimalist, and literally only uses one voice at once. Maybe this would be better for gameplay, since it takes up less (aural) space. It has a bass drum beat, but it's very very crude, as I'm only beginning to look at the noise channel/drum sound effects in the 2600.

(EDIT: Slight update to #8.)

Wow. Those are excellent. I like the sound of #8.

Totally excited about this. Thoughts:

Two joystick support- one for each arm.

I would, but I'm afraid the Angry Video Game Nerd would track me down and beat me to death with a bottle of Rolling Rock! :)

Edited by Devin

Thanks! If you want to use it in the game, please do -- it'd be my pleasure. Here's the bBasic source code:

boxingtheme_8.bas

It's coded in an extremely un-economical way -- given the amount of repetition, it should be possible to streamline it tremendously.

EDIT: Here's a version with "snare drum" added:

boxingtheme_10.bas

boxingtheme_10.bas.bin

Edited by thegoldenband

Thanks! If you want to use it in the game, please do -- it'd be my pleasure. Here's the bBasic source code:

boxingtheme_8.bas

It's coded in an extremely un-economical way -- given the amount of repetition, it should be possible to streamline it tremendously.

EDIT: Here's a version with "snare drum" added:

boxingtheme_10.bas

boxingtheme_10.bas.bin

The game looks AWESOME! I really cannot wait to buy one on Cart.

If you need some Art for a sticker or box let me know!