IGNORED

K.O. Cruiser - my first homebrew

Devin

How many characters can you fit in the game? Imagine fighting George Plimpton ("G.P. Limp ton" ?) :)

I'm looking to fix 5 on the final release. That's about as much as I can fit into the bank I use for graphics and sound. I might be able to fit more if I was going to 16k. I will do that for a sequel.

At the moment, they look like they will be as follows:

• Tomato Stan
  • Wally B.
  • Major Concussion

The last two are still being worked on. I will probably use the guy in the Commodore 64 picture on the first page.

Just curious - why not go 16K? The more the merrier!

And it might give you enough space for Seemo's ring girl. ;)

Yeah, the cart cost is no different for an 8K cart versus 16K (or for that matter, 32K). :D

..Al

Is there a good template for a 16k cart?

Just curious - why not go 16K? The more the merrier!

And it might give you enough space for Seemo's ring girl. ;)

Yeah, the cart cost is no different for an 8K cart versus 16K (or for that matter, 32K). :D

..Al

Is there a good template for a 16k cart?

That I don't know--I'll have to defer to all the masterful programmers out there. :)

..Al

I modified the 8k template from Minidig for 16k a while back. I use this in Karate Master with a little modification (each bank actually contains two subroutines and selects which one to use based on the carry bit.) There may be better ways to do this but this will get you started.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=119684

Thanks for all the help.

I think I will go with 16k. I did some work, and I am confident I can cleave the program into four different parts. I don't know how I can cut it into 8.

The main limit right now is good 'ole RAM. My current solution for the graphics pointers uses one byte each - a starting index into a buffer. The limit is the head graphic. Each head uses 36 bytes per boxer (12 pixels x 3 variations). To stay within the 256 indexing limit, this lets me have 7 boxers.

The other solution, the one a prefer, is indirect indexing. This would cost me 6 additional bytes. I have 9 currently available (taking into account the stack). This is a tad close for comfort - at least for now. I might be able to share temporary variables between banks and make this possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Any further update on this?

There is not much to report at the moment. I did some experiments on the kernal code - to see if I could use pointers and still have enough RAM. I tried a few tricks, but, ultimately, I just don't have either enough RAM or clock cycles to use "workarounds". So, my upper limit of characters is 7 - which is plenty!

Anyway, I am also working to make it ready for the move to 16k - which is almost is. When that happens, the development should speed up significantly.

Edited by Devin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello once again.

I wanted everyone to know that I am still working on this project. Now that I have a nice break from teaching, I have been able to put some major effort into the program. I've attached the latest binary. There are huge number of changes. Some of the more noticeable are as follows:

• 16k now!
  • Added 2 characters: Rod Ickle and Major Concussion
  • Added some background music
  • The main screen will allow you to select the 4 different boxers. This is only for testing. The final version will not have this feature.

This is a nerfed version! The characters do not hit very hard. Mainly, I want to get your feedback on the scripts - what is good and what is bad about each boxer.

Also please note that:

• I made the background a tad lighter than I plan to have it. Major Concussion's hair vanishes in pure black. Eventually, he will have a different background.
  • The system will hang (loop forever) after the fight is over. I just haven't gotten around to the "Next Contender" logic. :)
  • Major Concussion's "Cannon Punch" cannot be dodged. I will tweak the script later.
  • The "specials" occur quite frequently. This was another tweak for testing.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear your feedback. Have a great day! :)

KO_Cruiser_WIP_2000_01_09.bin

post-17256-1231498244_thumb.png

Edited by Devin