IGNORED

Colony 7

sandmountainslim

Ok,

What do those who got C7 think of it?

I have been enjoying it thouroughly since it arrived yesterday, I never played the arcade game so I didn't really know what to expect other than an Atlantis Type game. While the game IS alot like Atlantis (or vice versa) I find it to be even more like Missile Command and Space Invaders combined, a very fun twitch game which is hard to tire of. Am I correct that the Atlantis cartridge was based on the arcade C7 only without license and why was the arcade game a flop? Looks like it woulda been a big hit or did it just come out at a time when there were too many space shooters out there?

Hats off to Cybergoth another masterpiece of the homebrew scene.

WP

Here's my take.

Title screen and theme music are pure genious.

As of gameplay, it's a fine shooter that will keep you on your toes. However, I don't see the point in defending the shield on top of the city, since you are most likely to loose both guns well before they destroy the city. Or maybe I just suck at the game? Another thing that annoys me is that you can't defend your guns from the small bombs, and in later squads, ufos appear right above them, and fire a wave right at them. If you don't have any nukes left, say bye-bye to them.

Sound during gameplay is spot-on. I think this is the first time I've heard the old VCS doing a pitch bend (new squad announcement).

All in all, a fine effort.

Record so far: 153075

Edited by cosmosiss

Another thing that annoys me is that you can't defend your guns from the small bombs, and in later squads, ufos appear right above them, and fire a wave right at them. If you don't have any nukes left, say bye-bye to them.

That's my complaint too. Basically the objective seems to be to defend the left cannon and any unexpended zappers. Keep the cursor near the diagonal from which the little guys would shoot at the left cannon. I think I made it to Squad 11 on the first "try" of my second game.

• 4 weeks later...

Played this a bit more last night, after having discovered that I had the arcade version on my Taito Legends CD-ROM. The 2600 version is better in at least one respect in that the original makes you press fire repeatedly. Not only that, but it seems to play better IMHO. I like the way your city does not magically repair itself between waves. My highest score to date is 174900.

• 9 years later...

Is there any advantage to having two cannons? Because you have to line up ships in the cross hairs, and the ships are not destroyed in the line of fire, I found I only ever needed one cannon. This was a bit of a flaw in the gameplay, for me. Atlantis has three cannons, and they have their uses. Being able to play just as well with one cannon made me feel like I was cheating. :P There's a lot of good in Colony 7 - graphics, some elements of gameplay - It's a decent shooter, but it needs a tweak or two for it to live up to it's potential.

I've only played it in Stella, but it does seem like you only need one gun.

Also, until many waves in, the enemy only seemed to target my left gun. Maybe I'm right gun dominant and wasn't paying attention to that side?

Edit: That being said I did really enjoy it when I tried it out.

I think Commando Raid would be my favorite of these games if the gun controls and hit detection for the paratroopers wasn't so wonky.

Commando Raid would be awesome if it had a target reticle interface like Colony 7 in my opinion. I definitely dig that aspect of Colony 7. That was a great design choice.

Edited by Butt_Rogers