IGNORED

Speedway console info wanted

calfranklin

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind knowing either.

As far as I know, there were two Sears Speedway consoles: Speedway IV, and the other was just called Speedway I think.

Stylistically, Speedway IV conformed to the other Sears/Atari pedestal-style Pong machines. It played Pong and Race Car games, and I believe it has detachable paddles controllers. I myself would really like one of these. :)

The other speedway was a clone (I think) of some other generic Pong/Race-Car knockoff of the time. IIRC, it was silver-colored and non-descript, and its controllers were held upright, with a paddle knob on the top, similar to the Channel F's joystick, but uglier. :P

I think there's some info about the Sears Speedway systems at Pong-story.com.

• 4 months later...

Here's pix of my CIB Sears Speedway IV console... :cool:

Two controllers are wired to the base, two controllers are seperate and plug into the sides of the base. Basically it plays the Pong type games, them some Street Racer type games where the two players go as long as they can, steering around obstacles, till one player crashes 9 times, thus ending the game.

post-2095-1218356627_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1218356636_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1218356646_thumb.jpg

Two controllers are wired to the base, two controllers are seperate and plug into the sides of the base. Basically it plays the Pong type games, them some Street Racer type games where the two players go as long as they can, steering around obstacles, till one player crashes 9 times, thus ending the game.

Very nice pictures of your SpeedwayIV Sears Tele-Games console and box. Did Atari release this console also?

Absolutely beautiful. :)

Would you be able to post a screenshot or two of the racing games?

• 10 months later...

Here are some pix of the Sears Speedway dedicated pong-type console (not IV) unit I recently picked up boxed. I was going to just post the PS info, but decided to post some pix. The box style seems to be a slide in without end flats. If mine is just a set with neatly removed flaps, tell me. My unit is serial number 2000, I'm guess this was a limited run unit. The manual is bilingual. I have only seen this available in Canada, and I suspect that is mainly where it was sold.

The Power is model no. 1-0057-4 made in Mexico Input 120 VAC 60 Hz 8 Watts Output: 22VDC 140MA

It is unusual in that it doesn't take batteries. Fortunately the unit I recently acquired came with a power supply.

I have a spare that I'd be happy to pass on that needs a little love. One paddle is missing the top but works, some pots jiggle, and the player 2 controller port seems to have issues, it is only semi-responsive. This could require an internal adjustment (I did try it with multiple functioning paddles) or more serious repair to get it working. And I have no spare PS for it. The thing is tested with my other PS. I'd be happy to get $25 for it.

Anyway, here are some pix of the unit now in my collection for posterity.

post-800-1246838315_thumb.jpg

post-800-1246838295_thumb.jpg

post-800-1246838288_thumb.jpg

post-800-1246838310_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianoid

• 4 months later...

I have only seen this available in Canada, and I suspect that is mainly where it was sold.

Hey Ianoid!! Great to hear from you buddy!!

I confirm that this Sears Speedway version was ONLY available in Canada (guess a Canadian needed to

confirm this...LOL!!!). What is strange is that i've never stumbled on one here in the province

of Quebec but seen this unit in the collections of other Canadian fellows.

But for taste, i like better the BIG version of it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260487564718&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Is that thing beautiful or what ?!? Still waiting this beauty to arrive... ;)

I suggest to grab the pictures while there still there.

Can't wait to play with this baby!!

--- Sly DC ---

• 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The manual is bilingual. I have only seen this available in Canada, and I suspect that is mainly where it was sold.

I have never seen one myself, but the Simpsons-Sears sticker on the box is a clear indication that it was once sold in a Canadian "Sears" store.

• 5 months later...

I think this is the big version Sly DC is talking about:

http://www.pong-pict...roducts_id=1562

I was just researching one I have. It has a weird battery connector, like for a 9-volt but the connector is larger. Must have had a battery pack.

Actually, it had a door/compartment that you would put 6-8 D-sized batteries (it's either C or D), to power it. I believe it also has an AC adapter input on the back as well.

• 4 years later...

Wasn't there a speedway iii ? Sears Telegames version of street racer is called speedway ii?

No.

As to why the titles of some Sears consoles and cartridges were suffixed like numerals, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency. They generally denoted the number of players. For instance, the "IV" dedicated consoles supported four players, and that could explain "Breakaway IV" on the Video Arcade system. But it doesn't explain "Speedway II,"which also supports four players, or the "Hockey-Tennis III" system, which only supports two (incidentally, there was no "Hockey-Tennis I" but there was "Hockey-Pong").

No.

As to why the titles of some Sears consoles and cartridges were suffixed like numerals, there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency. They generally denoted the number of players. For instance, the "IV" dedicated consoles supported four players, and that could explain "Breakaway IV" on the Video Arcade system. But it doesn't explain "Speedway II,"which also supports four players, or the "Hockey-Tennis III" system, which only supports two (incidentally, there was no "Hockey-Tennis I" but there was "Hockey-Pong").

Now I want a Sears Speedway or Speedway IV. Where there other pong consoles that also played those racing games?