IGNORED

What is the best value TV plug-n-play game/game system?

Fort Apocalypse

• 4 weeks later...

Hello from Spain.

I have since this morning a Capcom TV-game (GNG, commando and 1942), and Sega Mega Drive handheld (20 games).

I am waiting for Onestation (i hope received in this months).

All are a great vintage systems. So, somebody knows to hack this machines for a new performance?

Bye, and sorry for my scrap english.

Flashback2 (Atari 2600) was a lot of fun. If I didn't have a real 7800 I would play it more. The joysticks are great and very responsive. I've won many games in high score threads using them... and unfortunately have broke two so far. The sticks break at the screw on point. :/ But until then awesome controllers.

• 4 months later...

I have quibbles with the Atari Paddle games. Street Racer is missing "Scoop Ball" (one of my favorites for over two decades) and some of the Super Breakout sounds are wrong.

I have a Sega Genesis 5-in-1 with Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Flicky and Kid Chameleon that I got a lot of play out of (I never owned a Genesis). I love to become the Weretiger.

• 1 year later...

I particularly like my Flashbacks, C64 DTV, and Arcade Gold units. I'd LOVE to get ahold of a Coleco 20-in-1 SMS unit, can't find them anywhere for a decent price though.

I have never had an Arcade Gold unit; but C64 DTV and Atari Flashback 2 are great systems, but I prefer DTV over Flashback 2.

As I have always been into C64, since it has nice clean graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the TV plug n plays that I *have* the C64 DTV and Atari FB2 are totally tied-- they both rock. There's a Sega one player PnP that I have, one red and one blue with different lineups of games from Radica, which are also pretty cool, but only one player. It's the one that has the little mini Gen console in line to the TV set, takes batteries or a power supply (from none of the models of Genesis, wtf is up with that??? They're common spec as dirt but they had to make a NEW one???)

Midway is the Jakk's Atari controller games, they're decent mostly.

The worst one to look out for that I own is the Capcom one, it just plain sucks.

So:

Atari FB2

C= DTV

Radica Genesis

That's my list. Before I forget, the two-player and two controller Tetris game is playable but a wire nightmare.

Of the TV plug n plays that I *have* the C64 DTV and Atari FB2 are totally tied-- they both rock. There's a Sega one player PnP that I have, one red and one blue with different lineups of games from Radica, which are also pretty cool, but only one player. It's the one that has the little mini Gen console in line to the TV set, takes batteries or a power supply (from none of the models of Genesis, wtf is up with that??? They're common spec as dirt but they had to make a NEW one???)

The worst one to look out for that I own is the Capcom one, it just plain sucks.

So:

Atari FB2

C= DTV

Radica Genesis

That's my list. Before I forget, the two-player and two controller Tetris game is playable but a wire nightmare.

I just tried out a Radica Genesis Blue controller one and it was great, but really I dont need one because Genesis consoles and games are really cheaply priced, 5$ a system with cords and like $0.50 - 3.00 a game.

But yup, Atari Flashback 2 and C64 DTV are the best plug n plays out there.

My Top Ten...

1 Atari Flashback 2/2+

1 Jakk's Atari Paddle

1 C64 DTV

4 Jakk's Retro Arcade...Pac-Man

5 Jakk's Ms. Pac-Man Wal-Mart exclusive w/2 Game Keys

6 Jakk's Super Pac-Man

7 Techno Source Activision

8 Jakk's Activision

9 Intellivision 10 2nd & 1st Edition

10 Radica Space Invaders

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

Senario 101-in-1 has a mushy controller, but 101 games for 10 bucks. That's a good game/cent ratio!

Does that really count? It's easy to make something cheap when your ingredients are stolen material. . . .

It's the one that has the little mini Gen console in line to the TV set, takes batteries or a power supply (from none of the models of Genesis, wtf is up with that??? They're common spec as dirt but they had to make a NEW one???)

Of course the power supply spec is different. The plug-n-play system was designed for battery use, specifically the 4-AA, 6V configuration found in lots of toys. The Genesis power supply outputs 9V, from what I've read.

What, specifically, don't you like about it? I have it and like it a lot (as I'm a 1942 fan). Did you just mean the value part of it, only having 3 games? I don't see anything horribly wrong with the games themselves or the hardware.

Before I forget, the two-player and two controller Tetris game is playable but a wire nightmare.

It was my understanding that the main weakness of the Tetris one is that the controllers' knobs are a pain to use. As in they'll actually make your hands hurt, due to their shape.

Didn't Jakk's shelve the Midway Atari TV Games system?

I think he meant "mid-way," as in "halfway in between," and not "Midway," the now-defunct game developer (also not "midway," the part of a fairground, "Midway," the atoll, nor "Midway," the WWII battle). "Midway Atari" doesn't make any sense, anyway (well, I suppose you could make an argument for Midway owning Atari Games before it got closed, but that has nothing to do with plug-n-play stuff).

Incidentally, the name of the company "Jakks Pacific" has no apostrophe. Actually, the company writes it as "JAKKS Pacific," so maybe it's an acronym.

Easy.. The FC 3 Plus. You can play Genesis, SNES, NES all in one. Quality seems good too.

That is not a plug-n-play (i.e., dedicated) system. It only plays cartridges, so it is really the complete antithesis of "plug-n-play."

onmode-ky

P.S. You know, when I was younger, I assumed that the game 1942 was by the developer Midway. It made sense to me: the Battle of Midway took place in 1942. Irrefutable logic!

• Like 1

Easy.. The FC 3 Plus. You can play Genesis, SNES, NES all in one. Quality seems good too.

That is not a plug-n-play (i.e., dedicated) system. It only plays cartridges, so it is really the complete antithesis of "plug-n-play."

onmode-ky

P.S. You know, when I was younger, I assumed that the game 1942 was by the developer Midway. It made sense to me: the Battle of Midway took place in 1942. Irrefutable logic!

Actually, the Sega Genesis Firecore is a plug'n'play;

after I think about it but you can also run cartridges on it.

My Top Ten...

1 Atari Flashback 2/2+

1 JAKKS Atari Paddle

1 C64 DTV

4 JAKKS Retro Arcade...Pac-Man

5 JAKKS Ms. Pac-Man Wal-Mart exclusive w/2 Game Keys

6 JAKKS Super Pac-Man

7 Techno Source Activision

8 JAKKS Activision

9 Intellivision 10 2nd & 1st Edition

10 Radica Space Invaders

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

I forgot to add the original Atari "7800" Flashback, it would be tied for 10th, also made a correction to JAKKS in my quote!

Edited by TrekkiELO

That's not a plug-n-play system by the criteria we are using, it requires cartridges.

If we want to talk about small, cheap systems that can play a wide range of software and can attach to a tv, I would pick the Digoo a320 handheld, which costs about $80 and run just about any 8 or 16bit game in emulation.