IGNORED

what's the best 2600 joystick controller you ever had

Electric T V

Here's some pictures of my favorite controllers starting with the present favorite:

QuickShotIIPlus.jpg

The Golden Age controller (89-93):

Turbo.jpg

And the solidest best response controllers:

SlikStik.jpg

slikstiks.jpg

Save some room for the biggest Turkeys ever:

I hate this thing:

TrakBall.jpg

What the heck were they thinking with this?:

roklan.jpg

And literally the BIGGEST disappointment of all sticks:

HighScore.jpg

And the most annoying joystick controller of all because there was no getting around it:

7800controller.jpg

Call me crazy but I have always loved the basic stock joysticks that come with the 2600. I mean far above any other controller since then. It fits perfectly in the hand, has a great ergonomic response which is awesome for fast twitch games like Cosmic Ark and remains to this day the best way to play PacMan (though obviously one of the much improved versions of PacMan, not the aweful original).

And I will still put the original 2600 controller against any modern gamepad. LONG LIVE THE JOYSTICK!

giantjoystick.jpg

I thought the FB2 sticks were more fragile than the "real" Atari sticks.

Snapped one playing Pete Rose Baseball

It would stand no chance with Decathlon or Track And Field

The "gold" sticks from Best are my #1, Wico bat handle #2, Slik Stik and the Kraft stick that you could lock into U,D,L,R only mode for maze games are right up there too

Wico Command Control. Still have it. Still works, although it's a little creaky. Nothing beats leaf switches for the true coinop feel, although coinops have largely gone with microswitches by now.

The original Atari sticks are fine but they just don't last.

The microswitch Flashback2 sticks are pretty good.

Either the CX-40 or CX-42 (FB2 sticks) for my choices. I also like the Gemsticks (the one with the big yellow button). As far as crappy sticks goes: The Boss stick; great at first, but wears out after a while. I still would like to try out the CX-10 Heavy Sixer sticks.

The best joystick ever made for the Atari2600 platform (and home computers in general with a standard 9pin D plug) is the Tomahawk by Aneroussis Control.

Talking about Full Metal Jacket?! You bet!!

tomahawk.jpg

One of those joysticks alone, would outlast all published copies of Decathlon combined, till each and everyone of them would die from too much playing! And I am very moderate on this phrase!!!

Microswitches that can be heard from a block away, and can be found only (and maybe) on the Control panel of a Panzer Tank! The absolute best.

Second in line is the Controller Super 8+ by CMS. Same in design, but lighter plastic casing, and not such a BEAST inside as the Tomahawk!! But nevertheless, the best second around.

As a kid, we only had the Atari joysticks, and they were good enough for us. My best friend had a couple of Wico Boss sticks, but I couldn't stand them. I hated the top fire button, and I hated the way they would twist around.

Nowadays, the CX-40s hurt my hands, so I either use a Tac-2 (great 2600 stick!) or my Radica Space invaders stick. :)

Mindscape Powerplayer - I still use it.

Honorable mention for the 500xj & TAC-2

Here Here! Epyx 500XJ rocks! :cool:

Oh jeez! I rarely EVER post here and I just had to come up to say this:

I _LOVED_ the Epyx 500XJ, but most places I mentioned it reacted with scorn and ridicule! I think it was the only joy"stick" that felt comfortable to me. I liked the original VCS ones, but jammin' the Epyx on C64 games was awesome. ;)

The classic, standard CX-40 for me. The CX-10s are pretty cool too.

I also like Tac-2s and Slik-Stiks and some others, but I prefer the standard Atari joystick. :)

EDIT: I forgot, the Zircon Video Command is really cool, but mine has a tendency to not work well...intermittant contacts or something.

Edited by BassGuitari