IGNORED

Mission X

Rom Hunter

Wasn't that just the shell with nothing inside of it....I remember a few years ago that somebody was selling just the shell on e-bay.....I WONDER if that is the same one...??..?

Edited by Wonder007

• 2 weeks later...

The cart pictured is mine.

post-9507-1206587589_thumb.jpg

Been many years since it was last discussed..... http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6784

It is a non-functioning cart. Inside is a ROM (not EPROM), so unlikely it is more than a photo mockup. I've had this for a long time and don't believe it is a "fake" just because there wasn't much of that floating around back in the late '90s, but I have turned down some nice offers over the years since I have no way to be sure and I am certainly not going to rip anyone off. The label does NOT look like a typical M-Network prototype label (different font.)

I don't have a scanner anymore, so I'm not sure if I could do much better than the pic above, but I'll try. Rom, do you have a specific angle you'd prefer if using a camera?

Regarding the board, it is a 2600 chip with a ROM on it, but doesn't work. We opened it up for a look several years back at a trade meet.

I don't have a scanner anymore, so I'm not sure if I could do much better than the pic above, but I'll try. Rom, do you have a specific angle you'd prefer if using a camera?
Thanks for the info!

IMO worth adding to the database.

Please use the same angle as the picture above, but bigger and sharper, so we can clearly read the end label.

Do the inner works look the same as those of M Network or INTV carts?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Even if the game doesn't work, the contents of the ROM are certainly worth a look.

8)

Yep, but unless it starts working I don't think you'll be able to dump the rom. At the very least it would be interesting to see the board. IIRC Mattel used a blob style on their boards. I only have ever opened up one though. If we are real lucky they might have marked all their chips differently with some sort of stamp and we could say "oh, that is Air Raiders that they just used for mock up as it has the same number, all they did was slap on a new label."

All right I took apart a Dark Cavern and found a regular prom. I suspect that the type of IC really depends on what country Mattel was using at the time (ie Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea, Phillipines, etc...). I don't remember what it was I took apart before. I saw the stamp and I was like AR, Air Raiders! Then I realized I had Dark Cavern. Anyhow maybe stamps mean something, but it would take a lot of carts opened and compared to say what.

post-7074-1206746743_thumb.jpg

The chip has not been dumped. Several attempts to get the chip to work had failed. Last time it was opened up it looked like a regular chip with nothing to indicate it was any kind of proto, but can't remember exactly since it was so long ago. I'll try to pry it open again sometime soon and take a pic of the insides.

The chip has not been dumped. Several attempts to get the chip to work had failed. Last time it was opened up it looked like a regular chip with nothing to indicate it was any kind of proto, but can't remember exactly since it was so long ago. I'll try to pry it open again sometime soon and take a pic of the insides.

I'm kind of curious about this. Typically, this could fall into 2 camps-- hardware issue, or software issue.

If the hardware seems in-tact, even if it doesn't boot, it might be possible to still dump the software (even if it's bad).

However, if the hardware itself seems to be bad, then there's probably not much that could be done.

It would be interesting to know more about what was done to try to get it to work (resoldering or something?). This particular cart probably has a really good story!

BTW, thanks for sharing!

-John