IGNORED

Atari ST vs Amiga?

I'm re-posting the two articles found in the thread that Calimero mentions (because they're important reads):

http://www.filfre.net/2015/03/the-68000-wars-part-1-lorraine/

http://www.filfre.net/2015/04/the-68000-wars-part-2-jack-is-back/

And if anyone knows who the fellow at 18:56 is, (and knows how to contact him) perhaps he could shed more light on what exactly was going on with the Mickey project (and whether or not Tramiel managed to get a look at that machine's progress and specs prior to starting the ST):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DnLmEaIhpQ

no and St was 6 months ahead of amiga, and caused Amiga to get released with issues just to get it out the door.

The ST was released ahead of the Amiga largely in part because Tremiel's litigation tied up the Amiga project for an entire summer. That on top of Amiga running out of money a few times. Without those delays, the Amiga development schedule would very likely have been accelerated.

You cannot turn around a ship as big as Atari was in just 6 months, and Atari was BIG at that time. Would have taken at least 2 years but with cost reductions and 7800 rolling out for 84 I think it had a great chance. Imaging a world without Nintendo (at least as a console maker in the USA).

You are probably right.

Jack also ask for two years for "run the ship" to be able to estimate real worth of Atari.

He manage to turn things around and to be profitable. Maybe Morgan eventually do the same. Who know, Warner did have not confidence in him, and want to replace him after 6+ months with Jack.

Main difference was that Jack was focus exclusively on ST while old Atari Inc. was scattered among so many things (Jack "sacrifice" 7800 as it was not his main priority) but he mange to make Atari Corp. profitable - he stated that ST was "do or die" (make or break) for Atari Corp.

@Nebulon

you have some really neat stuff on YouTube! :) (you are nebby6 on YouTube, this is your uploads? Where did you find this videos?!?)

I am eager to watch it! Thanks for sharing!

regarding Jimmy Maher and his www.filfre.net story site - it is interesting how he interpreted data from Marty Goldberg differently!

Example: at http://www.filfre.net/2015/04/the-68000-wars-part-2-jack-is-back/

Jimmy Maher: "Finally, Marty Goldberg’s once again shared a lot of insights and information on the legal battle between Atari and Commodore, including some extracts from actual court transcripts, although once again our conclusions about it are quite different."

Also please note Jimmy Maher attitude toward Jack Tramiel: "and even more nefarious deeds by our favorite villain around these parts, Jack Tramiel" http://www.filfre.net/2016/11/21/

Edited by calimero
  • Like 1

You are probably right.

Jack also ask for two years for "run the ship" to be able to estimate real worth of Atari.

He manage to turn things around and to be profitable. Maybe Morgan eventually do the same. Who know, Warner did have not confidence in him, and want to replace him after 6+ months with Jack.

Or might it have been the fact that Jack was available at all. He was ruthless in the computer price wars, so now that he was no longer at Commodore, maybe Atari thought it was better he run their company than another competitor?

hey sorry for getting it wrong, I didnt know there was misinformation spread, also I was an ST owner as a kid and here in the UK, the Amiga and ST were like brother and sister, so assumed more than I actually knew. One thing that made the ST feel rushed was its bad scrolling, but I guess if it was designed as business machine that makes sense.

Edited by D.Daniels

You are probably right.

Main difference was that Jack was focus exclusively on ST while old Atari Inc. was scattered among so many things (Jack "sacrifice" 7800 as it was not his main priority) but he mange to make Atari Corp. profitable - he stated that ST was "do or die" (make or break) for Atari Corp.

@Nebulon

you have some really neat stuff on YouTube! :) (you are nebby6 on YouTube, this is your uploads? Where did you find this videos?!?)

I am eager to watch it! Thanks for sharing!

Interesting that you should ask, because if it wasn't for AtariAge, I probably wouldn't have spotted that material.

Someone on AtariAge posted a link to the recently released raw footage of the Atari 20th Anniversary sessions. Being raw footage, it was unedited and in rough form. So I thought back to my post-production studio days and looked into refining it a bit.

It's really interesting to see what people in the industry have to say. I enjoy hearing first-hand stories and there are lots of them in there.

Also on the channel is an audio interview with Owen Rubin (for those wanting to hear more about what was happening on the coin-op side at Atari).

• Like 1