IGNORED

Top 10 *exclusive* A8 games?

BoatofCar

how about K-razy shootout and Space Dungeon? Both were 8bit/5200 only games. Was Zybex an 8bitr only game?

K-razy Shootout is a Berzerk knockoff, and Berzerk has been ported to everything. Not sure whether we're counting clones, knockoffs, unlicensed ports or not.

Space Dungeon was an arcade game first... I dunno about Zybex.

I like K-razy shootout a lot more than Bezerk but you have a point... never the less it is 8bit only as far as I know. Another one is Caverns of Mars (unless you count the flickery unplayable flashback 2 2600 version).

My personal faves, at least these the titles I spent any amount of time with:

(1) Preppie (Russ Wetmore)

(2) Preppie 2 (Russ Wetmore)

(3) Yoomp!

(4) Chop Suey (Adam Billyard/English Software)

(5) Crystal Raider (Mastertronic)

(6) Phantom (Tynesoft?)

(7) Dimension X (Synapse?)

(8) Clowns & Balloons (Datasoft)

(9) Leggit! (Imagine)

(10) Screaming Wings (Red Rat)

Some of it's junk, but I got quite adept at finding obscure Atari-only software in the UK, during the mid-80s, when the big-name conversions to the C64, Spectrum and Amstrad were what most stores stocked. Obscure import titles, budget releases, English Software compilations and discounted US Gold/Activision clearance items is what I lived on. And if it wasn't for my local Atari dealer - Intoto in Nottingham - I would have been restricted to the few titles that Boots stocked (Elite's "unique" Atari version of Airwolf was the first game I bought for my 800XL - imagine my disappointment...)

Sanxion you say? Pah, have you even SEEN "Electric Starfish" ??

Elite?? Tch, bow before my "Bug Off!" cassette!

Uridium? No thanks, I'm happy here playing "Fire Chief"

Sabre Wulf? You've obviously never seen "Savage Pond"

Nemesis??? Give me "Nuclear Nick" any day!

And so on...

Edited by Mark Wright

If you want to check an A8 exclusive game ;-) : http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3810

I guess, commercially we don't gather 10 games that are "exclusive A8".

sure i did on the first page.

let's see again:

The Tail of Beta Lyrae (Datamost)

Myrax Force (Tynesoft)

Gangsters Ville (Lindasoft)

Powerstar (Pandora Software)

Dimension X (Synapse)

Hawkquest (Red Rat)

Batty Builders (English Software)

Zone X (Gremlin Graphics)

Eastern Front (Atari)

Plastron (Harlequin Software)

all the above were commercial releases.

But thruthful, most of these were UK companies, I don't think you can find 10 A8-only USA releases.

Mark could also be right with Preppie and Preppie 2, unless they made it onto Apple ][. Anyone?

Let's see US A8 exclusives then:

Preppie

Preppie 2

The Tail of Beta Lyrae

Dimension X

Eastern front

Powerstar

that's 6 so far, I reckon we could find 4 more. Try Avalon Hill, maybe there's an A8 exclusive too.

Edited by thomasholzer

Well, I only checked Lemon and Arnold before posting my list, so forgive me!

I guess the question itself - what were the best games that were Atari-only? - yields only games that either weren't good enough to be converted to other systems or simply weren't possible. As we've learned from experience, commercial pressures normally meant they'd be converted whether they were possible or not (look at the 3rd/4th generation arcade to 8-bit conversions that barely resembled their sources) but I think Preppie! is a good example of a supremely playable game that managed to remain Atari-only.

I'm not seeing many others in this thread!

that's 6 so far, I reckon we could find 4 more. Try Avalon Hill, maybe there's an A8 exclusive too.

Talking of Avalon Hill, I always assumed that TGIF (Thank God It's Friday) was Atari-only, but having just tried the aggravatingly frustrating C64 version for the first time, I stand corrected!

Always loved that simple time-waster on my 800XL but the C64 version? Ouch!

The problem is that, with very few exceptions, any Atari games that did well ended up getting ported. For the love of god, there was even an NES version of Ballblazer. T

Yeah - even if they weren't on other consoles, they are on other Atari systems usually.

Just looking at my 8-bit carts, the only ones I can think of as "maybe" (and that's a big maybe - because I'm not familiar with a lot of EURO computer releases) exclusive are:

Into the Eagle's Nest

Crime Buster

Jurrassic Park 2 (because it's an unlicensed game different from the other Jurrasic Park 2s)

Thunderfox

Everything else I have was on something else

How about Matterhorn (AFAIK this is vaporware on C64), Attack at EP-CYG 4 (and possibly some other Romox titles), Carnival Massacre, Major League Hockey, and several other Thorn EMI titles, Colony 7, and Assault Force?

I'm sure that a reasonably large list could be constructed, and that not all of the titles would be unplayable ;)

Hmm difficult, but

1 Omnitrend's Universe

2 Caverns of Mars II

3 Laser Hawk

4 Dandy

5 Diamonds

6 Yoomp!

7 Tagalon

8 S.A.M. Poker - if only for the constipated sounding voice!

9 Skiing Construction Set

10 Qb

11 Xagon

12 Pondering About Max

13 Topper

14 Capture the Flag

15 Batty Builders

16 Rubber Ball

17 Snow Ball

18 Megablast

19 Blaster

20 Wloczykij

21 Starblade

22 Zone x

23 Slot Machine

24 Enigmatix

25 Tail of Beta Lyrae

26 Hard Hat Willy

27 Airstrike

28 Scram

29 Eastern Front

30 Dog Daze Deluxe - silly but compulsive with 2 lol

Just some of the stuff i go back to more oftem than not

Know that's more than 10, but guess 2 out of three might have turned up somewhere else already!

I'm a new Atari user so I'm not sure I have any business posting in this thread. With that disclaimer in place I have to say that I am having an absolute blast playing Dandy Dungeon. It exemplifies everything that is wonderful about 8 bit gaming. So far, my favourite Atari 8 bit game, exclusive or otherwise, by a country mile.

I really appreciate this thread and am now looking forward to trying all the games mentioned.

Personally, I've always enjoyed Abracadabra and Droids from TG Software. Not sure if they were exclusives, but I've never seen mention of them on another system.

Of course, they also released Ozzy's Orchard and Night Strike, but I haven't really played them enough to qualify them as notable Atari 8-bit exclusives.

I thought Rally Speedway would be an excellent entry as well, but it appears to have been released later on C64.

Another interesting thread would concern only titles that were originally released on the Atari 8-bit, regardless of later porting. Drelbs? Not sure.

Edited by ponderosa