IGNORED

Top 10 *exclusive* A8 games?

BoatofCar

Captain Beeble is excellent and little played. And what about Poussinet?

I'm also pretty certain that Hypnotic Land is an A8 exclusive. It does, of course, suck badly, but that's another story.

Branch Software also released a decent light gun game with a modded Sega Light Phaser; I bought one in '89.

I don't get the relevance of this thread. There are thousands of games just available on one platform. Only think of the mass of type in listings.

For me it would be much more interesting to see a list of Atari 8bit-first games like Boulder Dash or MULE.

I suppose people like to think there were special games only Atarians got, its a nice thought but in reality ANY game on the Atari is good (as in good that it was and is supported). I think its more important that we got good games that were on other systems.

The more the merrier...

I don't get the relevance of this thread. There are thousands of games just available on one platform. Only think of the mass of type in listings.

For me it would be much more interesting to see a list of Atari 8bit-first games like Boulder Dash or MULE.

It's not about the amount, not about every unique game. it's about finding some gems that - surprisingly - never found a way to other platforms, despite their quality. It's interesting for me, but not for everyone - you may not get the relevance, so maybe it means that this thread is not for you... "Atari 8-bit first games" is a different topic, you may start one ;)

Just in case ppl think it's exclusive ;)

The thread is originally from 2008, Yoomp was exclusive back then.

Last year PIXEL - Polish game magazine - presented a set of "top ten" lists (in their opinion) for several retro platforms. The "EXCLUSIVE 10" list for Atari 8-bit looked like this:

Caverns of Mars (1981)
Eastern Front 1941 (1982)
Getaway! (1982)
Alley Cat (1983)
Mirax Force (1987)
Cavernia (1990)
Plastron (1990)
Crownland (2007)
His Dark Majesty (2010)
The Great Return of the Penguins (2014)

I think there exists a few homebrew versions of "Caverns of Mars" on A2600 (one of them is "Conquest of Mars" (2006)), but they all are quite recent titles?
There is a PC version of "Alley Cat", so it's exclusive just when we look on other 8-bit machines.

• Like 1

What about Herbert and Herbert 2 ?

Yeah, they are probably Atari 8-bit-only. Talking about German games - "Schreckenstein" is also exclusive AFAIK, an interesting game, but not very popular outside Germany I'm afraid?

Davidcalgary29 mentioned "Hypnotic Land" - it exists also on Atari ST and Amiga.

Edited by +Adam+

At least from a historical perspective Star Raiders was Atari only and about 50% of Atari people seem to have bought an Atari rather than any other home computer because they wanted to play Star Raiders.

Whether a game was eventually ported to another platform by a retro enthusiast decades later doesn't really matter, methinks.

While you could play e.g. Shamus or Archon on a C64 the experience was graphically inferior to the Atari.

• Like 1

At least from a historical perspective Star Raiders was Atari only and about 50% of Atari people seem to have bought an Atari rather than any other home computer because they wanted to play Star Raiders.

Whether a game was eventually ported to another platform by a retro enthusiast decades later doesn't really matter, methinks.

While you could play e.g. Shamus or Archon on a C64 the experience was graphically inferior to the Atari.

Shamus! I spent a LOT of time on that back when I had more free time than I do today. That game was AWESOME!

I know it's not a game, but did other platforms have Happy Copy? Without that, I would have had far fewer games and apps than I did. (I'd like to apologize to all the hard-working developers of the early 80's, but my paper route could only fund so much.)

I DID do a research paper in high school about computer piracy. (Something I knew a little bit about ...) ?

• Like 2

Shamus! I spent a LOT of time on that back when I had more free time than I do today. That game was AWESOME!

Having huuuge amounts of spare time is something I also remember fondly when thinking back to my teenage years. There was no meaningful daytime TV, I read books twice or thrice because I had nothing else to do (and liked the books), spent nights programming and playing, etc. Looking at my own children they while away their time with games I find less captivating than Shamus (but would probably have played to death had they been available to me) and like my former self just enjoy the time they have at their disposal without thinking that this is a state bound to end once life, work and especially family come along.

Just to think that many retirees seem to be even busier than those still working.....

Last year PIXEL - Polish game magazine - presented a set of "top ten" lists (in their opinion) for several retro platforms. The "EXCLUSIVE 10" list for Atari 8-bit looked like this:

Caverns of Mars (1981)

Eastern Front 1941 (1982)

Getaway! (1982)

Alley Cat (1983)

Mirax Force (1987)

Cavernia (1990)

Plastron (1990)

Crownland (2007)

His Dark Majesty (2010)

The Great Return of the Penguins (2014)

I think there exists a few homebrew versions of "Caverns of Mars" on A2600 (one of them is "Conquest of Mars" (2006)), but they all are quite recent titles?

There is a PC version of "Alley Cat", so it's exclusive just when we look on other 8-bit machines.

Alley Cat definitely had ports.. PC CGA version is puke as expected..

Can you name those ports beside PC version?

There is a C64 game under the same title, but it has nothing to do with our "Alley Cat".

I can't speak to the C64 version but there was also a PC-88 (Z80 cpu) version that looks like the A8 One.. (in addition to the PC version).

Ah, OK, you're right. That PC-8801 machine was generally non-existent in Poland at that time and I thought that it was 16-bit :)

But there seems to be no other official version of "Alley Cat" for 8-bit computers. It is surprising when you think about playability and popularity of that game on A8.