IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

So far, I'm enjoying Virtual bB. I also find the sprite editor very useful. Maybe I can create a 7800 project I had in mind for the 2600 first. This, combined with batariBASIC and Stella, are very good tools to have for 2600 development. I did learn upon compiling the sample.bas in batari that PCAE rejected the compiled results stating something like "END of READ REACHED." So, I don't recommend PCAE for testing code.

Another issue that I am having is on my project from scratch. It's probably something I have yet to learn about 2600 programming in general, but all I was wanting to do was design a simple sprite, put it on the screen and move it around a little. Upon compiling, there is no BIN file created, but there is also no error message given. Not sure what to do on this.

UPDATE: Nevermind about the scratch project. I figured it out.

Edited by kamakazi

So far, I'm enjoying Virtual bB. I also find the sprite editor very useful. Maybe I can create a 7800 project I had in mind for the 2600 first. This, combined with batariBASIC and Stella, are very good tools to have for 2600 development. I did learn upon compiling the sample.bas in batari that PCAE rejected the compiled results stating something like "END of READ REACHED." So, I don't recommend PCAE for testing code.

Another issue that I am having is on my project from scratch. It's probably something I have yet to learn about 2600 programming in general, but all I was wanting to do was design a simple sprite, put it on the screen and move it around a little. Upon compiling, there is no BIN file created, but there is also no error message given. Not sure what to do on this.

UPDATE: Nevermind about the scratch project. I figured it out.

Looks like you figured it out, but in the future if you create a sprite you can actually right click "Preview in Emulator" and it will generate the code for a bin where you can move it around screen. Works the same for Playfields.

-Jeff

with the version 550 if you try to open a file without having a project the IDE will crash showing the attached message.

in the version 526 it says that you need a project assigned to open a file.

Good catch, though I'm suprised it ever warned at all? The only code I see is a warning if the project root was selected, unless I deleted something. Fixed in the next release for sure.

Thanks!

Jeff

Some ideas for VbB:

#1 In the program you can go to Help and bB Language Guide. This is really out dated. Can you update that? It's especially useful for losers like me who are late paying their Verizon FIOS bill and have no internet at home right now.

#2 Currently you have a graphics converter. It outputs the code down the screen. Example:

bitmap_00
BYTE 000000
BYTE 000000
BYTE 000000
BYTE 000000
	... etc etc.

bitmap_01
BYTE 000000
BYTE 001111
BYTE 011111
BYTE 111111
BYTE 111111
	... etc etc.
end

How about an option to line up the code as it would be on the screen, in a format like this:

.. or however.. this would draw the image you converted in all 1's and 0's. Then I can go in and edit those, hit a button and it will reoutput the ASM code for me. ... maybe it'll open the picture in a playfield editor like thing or maybe it'll open just numbers.

You get my idea what I want to do here? Let's say the conversion is basically pretty nice except for a small blemish here and there. I can easily edit it. I understand that maybe I should be opening a graphic editor and fixing my files there, but to make VbB a more complete development studio I think it would be a nice option. I don't always feel like firing up GiMP (free graphic editor similar to Adobe Photoshop), especially at work because my the computer is slow.

Some ideas for VbB:

#1 In the program you can go to Help and bB Language Guide. This is really out dated. Can you update that? It's especially useful for losers like me who are late paying their Verizon FIOS bill and have no internet at home right now.

The good news is you can fix this yourself. Right now it defaults to loading the manual.html stored in <bb folder>\manual\. Save this link locally from RT's site. If you delete that file it will try to go grab the online copy. I should probably default to the online copy and use the local copy if the internet is not available...

#2 Currently you have a graphics converter. It outputs the code down the screen. Example:

bitmap_00
BYTE 000000
BYTE 000000
BYTE 000000
BYTE 000000
	... etc etc.

bitmap_01
BYTE 000000
BYTE 001111
BYTE 011111
BYTE 111111
BYTE 111111
	... etc etc.
end

How about an option to line up the code as it would be on the screen, in a format like this:

.. or however.. this would draw the image you converted in all 1's and 0's. Then I can go in and edit those, hit a button and it will reoutput the ASM code for me. ... maybe it'll open the picture in a playfield editor like thing or maybe it'll open just numbers.

You get my idea what I want to do here? Let's say the conversion is basically pretty nice except for a small blemish here and there. I can easily edit it. I understand that maybe I should be opening a graphic editor and fixing my files there, but to make VbB a more complete development studio I think it would be a nice option. I don't always feel like firing up GiMP (free graphic editor similar to Adobe Photoshop), especially at work because my the computer is slow.

It's a good idea, but right now once you convert to text there is no way to go back to generating the assembly. I'll have to look at the code it might be easier for me to import binary and generate the assembly equivalent.

-Jeff

... or maybe a simple editor built into the IMG to CODE program? Maybe have that program be able to open in full screen, have a larger preview (resizable?) and some simple editing tools.

A mini-graphics editor? You over estimate my graphics skills ;) I think I came up with a good alternative though. I'll send you a PM later that you can test out.

-Jeff

A little suggestion for VbB is to be able to move the tabs, just like Firefox does today.

Devwebcl

Great idea. I don't know why I didn't implement that before because it only took about 5 minutes to implement, though I don't have the fancy preview you see with Firefox. This will be in the next release.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi. Getting this when I am trying to run the music and sound editor from VbB 1.50. Made sure I have NET 2.0 and NET 3.0 installed. Everything else from VbB seems to be working ok. Any ideas what could be causing this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Cliff

Long Version of the error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

File name: 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

at VisualbB.SoundLib.vbBSoundLib..ctor()

at VisualbB.DialogMusic..ctor()

at VisualbB.mainIDE.MusicEditorToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

VisualbB

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.550

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.550

CodeBase: file:///C:/A2600Development/VisualbB.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

VisualbB.SoundLib

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/A2600Development/VisualbB.SoundLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Hi. Getting this when I am trying to run the music and sound editor from VbB 1.50. Made sure I have NET 2.0 and NET 3.0 installed. Everything else from VbB seems to be working ok. Any ideas what could be causing this? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Cliff

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
File name: 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)
  at VisualbB.mainIDE.MusicEditorToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.onclick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.onmouseup(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.onmouseup(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
VisualbB
Microsoft.VisualBasic
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
   CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
VisualbB.SoundLib

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Make sure you download BOTH zip files and extract them to the SAME folder. In a nutshell it can't find one of the required .dlls.

-Jeff

A little suggestion for VbB is to be able to move the tabs, just like Firefox does today.

Devwebcl

Great idea. I don't know why I didn't implement that before because it only took about 5 minutes to implement, though I don't have the fancy preview you see with Firefox. This will be in the next release.

Thanks,

Jeff

Good to hear that.

Also I found out that after the VbB found a Syntax error, it makes bold and red the font of that particular line of code with problem, but after I fix it and re-build the program (and works) still it is red & bold.

Devwebcl

Thanks,

Jeff

Good to hear that.

Also I found out that after the VbB found a Syntax error, it makes bold and red the font of that particular line of code with problem, but after I fix it and re-build the program (and works) still it is red & bold.

Yeah unfortunately the syntax editor is not that sophisticated. Hitting <Enter> at the end of the line will force it to re-check the syntax of that line and if the error is gone it will reset the formatting back to normal.

-Jeff

Cliff

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.onclick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.onmouseup(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.onmouseup(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
VisualbB
Microsoft.VisualBasic
System
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
System.Runtime.Remoting
System.Configuration
System.Xml
VisualbB.SoundLib

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
</configuration>

Make sure you download BOTH zip files and extract them to the SAME folder. In a nutshell it can't find one of the required .dlls.

-Jeff

Thought I did that, but I will try again. Thanks.

Verified that both files have been downloaded and installed. Verified that the DLLs are in the same directory as VbB and that it can run, but still getting the same error. Also ran the configuration editor and made sure that Net 2.0 and 3.0 were installed. Is there anything else I can look at? Thanks.

Can you post what is in your visualbB folder? I still think you are missing a file.

-Jeff

Yeah unfortunately the syntax editor is not that sophisticated. Hitting <Enter> at the end of the line will force it to re-check the syntax of that line and if the error is gone it will reset the formatting back to normal.

-Jeff

Great, that does it.

Thanks.

Devwebcl

Verified that both files have been downloaded and installed. Verified that the DLLs are in the same directory as VbB and that it can run, but still getting the same error. Also ran the configuration editor and made sure that Net 2.0 and 3.0 were installed. Is there anything else I can look at? Thanks.

Can you post what is in your visualbB folder? I still think you are missing a file.

-Jeff

Here is a snapshot of my directory.

post-25619-126841919951_thumb.jpg

If it helps, I am running this in a virtualbox that is running windows XP. Not sure that would cause any issues, but I figured I would add it just in case. Everything else seems to work ok from it. Thanks.

-Jeff

Here is a snapshot of my directory.

post-25619-126841919951_thumb.jpg

If it helps, I am running this in a virtualbox that is running windows XP. Not sure that would cause any issues, but I figured I would add it just in case. Everything else seems to work ok from it. Thanks.

"I am running this in a virtualbox that is running windows XP" - I've never tested it under VirtualBox. I recommend copying your folder to a physical machine and see if it works. If so, I think you found your issue.

-Jeff

Every time that I want to compile I choose the pull-down button to choose between standard or custom batch file.

Could you implement to remember the last option I choose when I press the compile button? so I don't have to choose between those two options every time, only the first time.

Thanks a lot for all the answers :)

Cheers,

Devwebcl

Edited by devwebcl

Every time that I want to compile I choose the pull-down button to choose between standard or custom batch file.

Could you implement to remember the last option I choose when I press the compile button? so I don't have to choose between those two options every time, only the first time.

Thanks a lot for all the answers :)

Cheers,

Devwebcl

Sure, I can make the tool strip compile button remember your last compile option.

-Jeff

I decided to try the newest build today, not working out well so far. I'm using 550 with Vista; Anytime I try to go to the end of a line of code and press enter to insert a blank line, I get:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click...", "Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'RichTextBox'." Going back to 536 for now.

I decided to try the newest build today, not working out well so far. I'm using 550 with Vista; Anytime I try to go to the end of a line of code and press enter to insert a blank line, I get:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click...", "Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'RichTextBox'." Going back to 536 for now.

Weird. I have Vista and it's working for me.

I'm using Vista - working fine for me? anything else in your code that would be special?

-Jeff