IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

I know you're not mister graphics, but here's an idea I have.

You currently have a playfield editor.

How about a (this could be a separate program) to combine playfields into one?

What I'm currently doing is a lot of screens for Zelda 2600.. it would be nice to draw a screen and be able to place it next to another so I can see if the entrances and exits from one to the other line up.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to put whatever I want together.. let's 1 screen next to another.. let's say 5 screens wide by 5 screens tall.

An export to JPG function would be wonderful. Eventually what I want to do is take screen shots of all my Zelda screens and post them together in one big map like.

I know you're not mister graphics, but here's an idea I have.

You currently have a playfield editor.

How about a (this could be a separate program) to combine playfields into one?

What I'm currently doing is a lot of screens for Zelda 2600.. it would be nice to draw a screen and be able to place it next to another so I can see if the entrances and exits from one to the other line up.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to put whatever I want together.. let's 1 screen next to another.. let's say 5 screens wide by 5 screens tall.

An export to JPG function would be wonderful. Eventually what I want to do is take screen shots of all my Zelda screens and post them together in one big map like.

Saving Sprites/Playfields as images should be easy. Doing side by side development is a little tough. I would just copy the existing playfield into a new one and modify it.

-Jeff

• 2 months later...

Just started in VisualbB and Batari so forgive me if this is a stone dumb question. Whenever I add a playfield with playfield colors Batari does not compile. This is a straight drag-and-drop operation too so I'd assume that the code has proper indentation. The pfcolors: label appears in pink for some reason. This is the latest Batari Basic with VisualbB build 550. Any clues?

pfcolors:
$0E
$1E
$2E
$3E
$4E
$5E
$6E
$7E
$8E
$9E
$0E
end

playfield:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
X...............................
end

P.S. VisualbB has come a long way since it's first release. It installs great on both XP and Windows 7. Thanks for all the hard work!

Edited by theloon

Whenever I add a playfield with playfield colors Batari does not compile.

Check out the kernel_options:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#kerneloptions

For example, in one game I'm working on, this is what I need at the beginning of the program:

set kernel_options player1colors no_blank_lines pfcolors

@Random Terrain: You, Sir, rock 7 ways that I can't even imagine to describe but nevertheless are totally awesome! Think Metallica arriving at your birthday party with a shopping cart filled with choice translated Japanese RPGs. Also, Lars gets to grind for you until level 99.

The palette is still off in Stella but the point is I can compile again :) Thanks for taking the time to solve that mystery for me! And, yes, I will backtrack and study why your compiler options work. Thank you!

Whenever I add a playfield with playfield colors Batari does not compile.

Check out the kernel_options:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#kerneloptions

For example, in one game I'm working on, this is what I need at the beginning of the program:

set kernel_options player1colors no_blank_lines pfcolors

Edited by theloon

I just updated my OS to win 7 from XP.

I have VB working but I get an error on the sound and music editor.

I am planning moving most of the VB stuff over to my laptop anyways but still would like to keep it

on my desktop

Are you running 64 bit or 32ibt? Do you have UAC disabled or enabled? What build of vbB are you using? What is the exact error? I use Windows 7 so I can confirm it does work.

-Jeff

I just updated my OS to win 7 from XP.

I have VB working but I get an error on the sound and music editor.

I am planning moving most of the VB stuff over to my laptop anyways but still would like to keep it

on my desktop

Are you running 64 bit or 32ibt? Do you have UAC disabled or enabled? What build of vbB are you using? What is the exact error? I use Windows 7 so I can confirm it does work.

-Jeff

64 bit .disabled ,current build of vbb 550, Could not load file or assembly 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

File name: 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7'

at VisualbB.SoundLib.vbBSoundLib..ctor()

at VisualbB.DialogMusic..ctor()

at VisualbB.mainIDE.MusicEditorToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

VisualbB

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.550

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.550

CodeBase: file:///C:/atari-users.net/Bataribasic/2600basic/VisualbB.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap.dll

VisualbB.SoundLib

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/atari-users.net/Bataribasic/2600basic/VisualbB.SoundLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Music tool is the only thing not working

do I need to install Net 2.0

64 bit .disabled ,current build of vbb 550, Could not load file or assembly 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

It's the fact that you're using 64-bit. I have it fixed in the latest build. I'll send you a PM that you can try.

-Jeff

I just downloaded Visual bB and am new to Batari programming. I am going through the tutorial "How To Make Atari Games" on Youtube. When I add player0x=50:player0y=50 in the code and hit enter, it doesn't indent. And when I try to compile it, it doesn't work. Why? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

I just downloaded Visual bB and am new to Batari programming. I am going through the tutorial "How To Make Atari Games" on Youtube. When I add player0x=50:player0y=50 in the code and hit enter, it doesn't indent. And when I try to compile it, it doesn't work. Why? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Even if you have Enable Syntax Checking turned on in the Settings, it's not going to automatically indent everything you type in. If it did that, you wouldn't be able to use labels. You'll have to add a space or spaces yourself and if you're like me and use three spaces at the beginning of a line as the default auto indentation, you can right click and select Force Minimum Spacing and it will add the number of spaces you chose in the Settings. That allows me to only add one space while programming, then I can force my favorite minimum spacing later.

Edited by Random Terrain

I installed 550 build to my laptop so I'm not too worried about it not working here.

btw: theres a new framework net for windows 7 (Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB982670) )

I'd still like to make it work for you on Windows 7 64-bit. If there is anybody else out there using a 64-bit version of Windows PM me and I'll send you a later version to test.

-Jeff

I installed 550 build to my laptop so I'm not too worried about it not working here.

btw: theres a new framework net for windows 7 (Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB982670) )

I'd still like to make it work for you on Windows 7 64-bit. If there is anybody else out there using a 64-bit version of Windows PM me and I'll send you a later version to test.

-Jeff

Iwas planning on moving my programing stuff to my laptop anyways,and keeping some on my desktop as well.

if you find somebody to test it out and have it work on win 7 that would be good too.

as always keep up the good work.

Found the Consolas font that seems to work okay with VisualbB

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displaylang=en

You must have a license for Visual Studio 2008, but, hey, doesn't a trial or express version count? :)

As a side I noticed that (under XP SP3) you cannot install a font while VisualbB is running and expect it to use it under Settings -> Select font. Workaround is to close VisualbB, install font and then reopen VisualbB

If anyone has a better font I'd love to hear about it!

Found the Consolas font that seems to work okay with VisualbB

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

You must have a license for Visual Studio 2008, but, hey, doesn't a trial or express version count? icon_smile.gif

As a side I noticed that (under XP SP3) you cannot install a font while VisualbB is running and expect it to use it under Settings -> Select font. Workaround is to close VisualbB, install font and then reopen VisualbB

If anyone has a better font I'd love to hear about it!

Any fixed width font should do. I just use Courier New which I think is the default now.

-Jeff

What I'd really like to see is a rewrite of Visual bB or a similar frontend that's platform independent. I'm a user of Mac OS X who would love to be able to use this to create my own console games. Maybe I'd even be able to release them on cartridge. I haven't been able to get Visual bB to run on Wine (although that's probably just because I just can't be bothered to take the time to set it up properly).

What I'd really like to see is a rewrite of Visual bB or a similar frontend that's platform independent. I'm a user of Mac OS X who would love to be able to use this to create my own console games. Maybe I'd even be able to release them on cartridge. I haven't been able to get Visual bB to run on Wine (although that's probably just because I just can't be bothered to take the time to set it up properly).

Sorry but that is very unlikely. I only know how to program for Windows. Best bet is full emulation of Windows or run Windows in a seperate partition on your hard drive.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Drag and Drop Sprites to code requires Save-All first to take into account changes after editing a sprite (at least for me in XP SP3.)

The correct behavior should be unsaved sprite changes get dragged to the code window.

Please forgive me if this is an unreproducible problem for others. I'll provide more details if I can :)

Also, what about a score bar editor? Sounds trivial but hopefully it would be easy to code: 8 horizontal pixels with a live conversion to pfscore decimal value. The fact that the pfscore value is the binary score bar graphic and not a bar representation of a decimal value trips newbies up I suspect. At least having a VisualbB score bar editor would ease people into the concept :)

Edited by theloon

Drag and Drop Sprites to code requires Save-All first to take into account changes after editing a sprite (at least for me in XP SP3.)

The correct behavior should be unsaved sprite changes get dragged to the code window.

Please forgive me if this is an unreproducible problem for others. I'll provide more details if I can icon_smile.gif

Also, what about a score bar editor? Sounds trivial but hopefully it would be easy to code: 8 horizontal pixels with a live conversion to pfscore decimal value. The fact that the pfscore value is the binary score bar graphic and not a bar representation of a decimal value trips newbies up I suspect. At least having a VisualbB score bar editor would ease people into the concept icon_smile.gif

I can change the behavior so that if a sprite/playfield is "open" it uses the current item vs. the saved item. As for a score bar editor I think it's more intuitive to just set the code to the binary value vs. the decimal. Makes the code easier to read as well.

-Jeff

I can change the behavior so that if a sprite/playfield is "open" it uses the current item vs. the saved item. As for a score bar editor I think it's more intuitive to just set the code to the binary value vs. the decimal. Makes the code easier to read as well.

-Jeff

Ooooh, yeah! Using the current seems more intuitive. I can't count the times I've been all over my code and forget that sprite changes aren't live. Sometimes I end up dragging and dropping a completely blank sprite if it's a newly added one :)

Random Terrain just explained the whole %10011001 way of representing score bars to me. Much simpler!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that catches me off guard is that when you start a new sprite the default palette isn't NTSC or PAL. I end up having to edit the colors manually in code. Is there any way get NTSC or PAL as a setting in settings? Oh, yeah, and have the sprite editor use that default palette? icon_smile.gif

There is a setting for NTSC/PAL on the main toolbar. That determines what color palette is used when selecting colors. If you start a sprite with the NTSC palette and change midway the colors you see won't change. So you need to select a palette then start editing. I think most folks choose NTSC or PAL and don't change that often.

-Jeff