IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

Very cool, Jeff! Its amazing how easy you've made the process! icon_thumbsup.gif

I added the info and links to the first post in the titlescreen kernel thread.

Thanks for the compliment! It still requires that you first create appropriate images, but I agree it significantly reduces the amount of time to assemble and generate the code.

-Jeff

• 1 month later...

just an idea on visualbb: Is it possible to have a pagination when printing? my cat had the idea to jump atop my programs notes and it took me time to reorganise the sheets :) thanks.

I'll have to check and see if that was possible. I remember it being a bit of a pain to get it to print in the first place. Something to do with scrolling controls...

-Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

hm. every time i try to export it says "please move sed.exe to the bB folder"

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#gettingstarted

You will need to copy or move sed.exe to the main bB folder . . .

http://bataribasic.com/session3.html

sed (i.e., "C:\Atari2600\bB\sed")

GNU sed and its license (GNU GPL) are found here. These were placed in a separate folder to avoid confusion with sed's conflicting licensing terms. You will want to copy or move sed.exe from this subdirectory to your bB directory.

• 1 month later...

I keep getting "Could not locate default.bas.bin and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly." It's driving me insane!!! I am a total beginner @ all of this. The 1st time I started/tried, it was just a test. Everything was on my desktop. I had the same trouble, but somebody here recommended some newer VbB/Bb versions. It worked. Then I wanted to make a dedicated folder for everything. I moved everything & started again new. I know all my paths are set right. I was getting the "please move sed.exe to the bB folder" but figured that out. It's just this damn default.bas.bin. I can't fix it. WHY is it doing this??? Can somebody, anybody, PLEASE help me?

I keep getting "Could not locate default.bas.bin and could not recompile. Please check to make sure it was compiled correctly." It's driving me insane!!! I am a total beginner @ all of this. The 1st time I started/tried, it was just a test. Everything was on my desktop. I had the same trouble, but somebody here recommended some newer VbB/Bb versions. It worked. Then I wanted to make a dedicated folder for everything. I moved everything & started again new. I know all my paths are set right. I was getting the "please move sed.exe to the bB folder" but figured that out. It's just this damn default.bas.bin. I can't fix it. WHY is it doing this??? Can somebody, anybody, PLEASE help me?

If you're using Windows, you need to be careful with the compile.bat file, because the compile.bat that comes with batari Basic isn't 100% Windows friendly, so that may be your problem here.

What you should do is go to the folder where batari Basic is installed, RIGHT-CLICK on the compile.bat file, and select the "edit" option.

When (or if) the file opens up in Notepad or WordPad, you will see a whole bunch of commands. All those commands may look like gobbledygook, but don't worry.

What you want to do is look for where the directory paths are shown in the various command lines. Do they have slashes in them, or backslashes? For Windows they need to be BACKSLASHES, but the default batari Basic compile.bat file has SLASHES (which is what Unix-- and I think the Mac?-- use). So change all of the slashes in the directory paths to backslashes, for example:

C:/directory/subdirectory/batariBasic/whatever (wrong, it has slashes in it)

change that to

C:\directory\subdirectory\batariBasic\whatever (now it has backslashes in it)

Be careful, though, because there's at least one place where the slashes are okay, which (IIRC) is where it lists a bunch of batari Basic keywords separated by slashes, so don't change those.

There's another thing you need to fix, which is the spacing around and less than (<) or greater than (>) symbols, as well as any "pipe" symbols (|). Anywhere you see one of those symbols, there should be a space BEFORE the symbol as well as a space AFTER the symbol. So if you see anyplace where a space is missing, add it.

After making these changes (if they're needed), save the modified compile.bat and try Visual bB again.

If the compile.bat looks like it needs to be changed but you're nervous about messing with it yourself, I can send you a copy of mine later tonight. Or you can probably find a copy that I had posted in the forums sometime during the last year or two.

I don't know if this is causing your problem, but I hope it helps! :)

Michael

Edited by SeaGtGruff

• 2 weeks later...

Click Hold in the playfield to draw is super slow for some reason, any chance to speed this up?

The sprite editor works fast.

Canvas redraw slowdown?

Anyways, I am making lots of playfields for my game and it's so slooooooow :(

Is it just me? I'm on Win7 x64, VisualBatari build.558

Click Hold in the playfield to draw is super slow for some reason, any chance to speed this up?

The sprite editor works fast.

Canvas redraw slowdown?

Anyways, I am making lots of playfields for my game and it's so slooooooow :(

Is it just me? I'm on Win7 x64, VisualBatari build.558

No it's slow for me as well. The problem is how the preview is generated. Sprites are small so you don't notice. Create a large sprite and you'll see the same slow down. I would try the WIP in my blog. I sped it up a bit, but for large playfields now you can right-click, hide preview which really speeds things up.

-Jeff

One thing I did use alot that seems to be gone now is the auto increment on color changes, I would hit ALT+C and choose that lines color and it would auto increment to the next line, so I would quickly do ALT+C to define the entire sprite/playfields colors. Now I have to right click each line to set the colors :(

One thing I did use alot that seems to be gone now is the auto increment on color changes, I would hit ALT+C and choose that lines color and it would auto increment to the next line, so I would quickly do ALT+C to define the entire sprite/playfields colors. Now I have to right click each line to set the colors :(

You can now select multiple rows at a time and set the color. It's possible I just removed or commented out that code while implementing that. I can check and see if it's possible to add it back.

-Jeff

• Like 1

Yeah the select for making multiple lines the same color is great, but for selecting individual colors per line gets tedious in this version, so if you can add it back that would be great! If not then I will probably be the only one that misses it so don't fret it :P

One other thing, I tried to comment on your blog with a question but I guess it didn't take it, so I'll ask again here.

I noticed that launching the rom from inside the IDE causes Phosphor effect to be enabled by default, when I check the Stella options it's disabled. So is it adding a command line option for this to force it enabled?

My preference is to leave it disabled, so is this something I can alter then? I tested with the older version and it leaves it disabled so it's something with this new version.

Yeah the select for making multiple lines the same color is great, but for selecting individual colors per line gets tedious in this version, so if you can add it back that would be great! If not then I will probably be the only one that misses it so don't fret it :P

One other thing, I tried to comment on your blog with a question but I guess it didn't take it, so I'll ask again here.

I noticed that launching the rom from inside the IDE causes Phosphor effect to be enabled by default, when I check the Stella options it's disabled. So is it adding a command line option for this to force it enabled?

My preference is to leave it disabled, so is this something I can alter then? I tested with the older version and it leaves it disabled so it's something with this new version.

Yeah I enabled Phosphor effect because as I was testing titlescreens I found myself toggling it on everytime. I assume most are testing with it enabled? If not, I can disable that.

-Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just ran into the issue where everytime VisualbB was started it came up with the "New start wizard" dialog, this crept up on me out of nowhere. I read the bB thread and starting on Page 17 others ran into the same issue but had no real fix for it.

In my case and perhaps everyone elses, XP(SP3) compatibility mode got enabled somehow on the visualbB.exe

Uncheck this and everything works fine.

Just thought I would share this bit of info.

Edited by ScumSoft
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...