IGNORED

Visual bB 1.0 - a new IDE for batari Basic

jwierer

No. I've tried reloading vbb a few times; sometimes the error doesn't happen. It either happens consistently or not at all, each time I load vbb.

I don't see what it could have to do with the code though, I can type "hello" and hit enter and get the error.

Does it happen to you in Builds 544 or 548? I can look at changes between those if they don't have the same problem.

Also can you PM me the full error? Might give me a clue as to what is happening to you.

-Jeff

I'm in your Playfield editor. Let's say I right click and resize height to 32.

Up top I see the three options and the warning about SC playfield.

Your software keeps jumping down one line. As I sit here and type this (I have your program open in the back and Windows Notepad open in front) I can see the top of the Playfield Editing screen, but as I even hover over the VbB screen it jumps down a line. Scroll back up and click any of the three options, jumps down a line. Unclick the option, jumps down a line.

Can that be fixed?! I'm not sure if anyone else finds it annoying or it's just me.

Your software keeps jumping down one line. As I sit here and type this (I have your program open in the back and Windows Notepad open in front) I can see the top of the Playfield Editing screen, but as I even hover over the VbB screen it jumps down a line. Scroll back up and click any of the three options, jumps down a line. Unclick the option, jumps down a line.

Can that be fixed?! I'm not sure if anyone else finds it annoying or it's just me.

That's what I call the big playfield (or sprite for that matter) effect. As far as I can tell it's an issue of a datagrid control layered on a tab control bug. There is nothing I am doing to make it scroll, it just happens. I tried about 6 month ago to see if I could capture that occurance using win32 APIs but was ultimately unsuccessful in trying to force it to stop. To be specific, I couldn't stop it so I was trying to catch it and scroll it back, but that was just making it shake... I've learned to live with it or buy a bigger monitor.

-Jeff

I have a 22" monitor. :)

How about moving that data down and to the right a bit? Maybe it can be squeezed in over the preview window or under it and make that would fix the problem?

Maybe at least try that and if it doesn't work then put it back as it is now.

That's what I call the big playfield (or sprite for that matter) effect. As far as I can tell it's an issue of a datagrid control layered on a tab control bug. There is nothing I am doing to make it scroll, it just happens. I tried about 6 month ago to see if I could capture that occurance using win32 APIs but was ultimately unsuccessful in trying to force it to stop. To be specific, I couldn't stop it so I was trying to catch it and scroll it back, but that was just making it shake... I've learned to live with it or buy a bigger monitor.

-Jeff

I have a 22" monitor. :)

How about moving that data down and to the right a bit? Maybe it can be squeezed in over the preview window or under it and make that would fix the problem?

Maybe at least try that and if it doesn't work then put it back as it is now.

-Jeff

That might address your problem, but it doesn't solve the main problem. At the point were the scroll bars appear it happens.

Also, I am confused with the Playfield Editor.. I don't have the help file I just noticed and no internet at home (okay shout it with me, looooser). I've set my Playfield color to 08 and trying to set my background to 00. it says "You cannot set the player color = background color!" -- although somehow, other times I've gotten a black background to work. I think I see a tiny bug also. When I right click and goto Select Playfield Color it shows "Select Background Color" in the window. Maybe that's part of the problem or you maybe just mislabeled the window. The background color says the same thing so that seems correct. I understand what those two colors to select are, but what is the "Choose Color" for? The window says Select Sprite Color, yet I'm not doing sprites.

I don't know what my initial hesitation was with not liking your projects and tools, but I find myself using them more and more all the time.. thanks a bunch. I still don't use projects as you intended, such as keeping my games separate, but I do enjoy that playfields and sprites are separated... and I do enjoy using those tools now. I'm working on a game now that's composed of a bunch of playfields. Gonna see how many I can cram into a game. So far I've designed 15 tonight alone using your tool. Very handy indeed.

.. and one more:

I spoke awhile ago about the option to delete the temp music files generated by the music program. Lately, I found myself going back and listening to them.

That brings me to my new idea.. a setting you can choose to automatically delete them or to keep them. Also, how about having them save to a subfolder in the \bin folder labeled \music or something. Maybe a setting to keep the most current XX amount and delete older ones?!

This way everyone can be happy. You can choose to save everything until the end of time, choose to keep 20 or 30 if you're like me and want to hear something you previously did and don't want to waste a lot of space, or if you're like I originally was and don't want to waste any space.

Edited by yuppicide

Also, I am confused with the Playfield Editor.. I don't have the help file I just noticed and no internet at home (okay shout it with me, looooser). I've set my Playfield color to 08 and trying to set my background to 00. it says "You cannot set the player color = background color!" -- although somehow, other times I've gotten a black background to work. I think I see a tiny bug also.

Not a bug. What I think you are seeing is you are trying to set either the Player or Playfield color equal to the background color. The background color is shared between the sprite and playfield designers and you can't have the same, let's call it a pixel color, equal to the background color. Check your player color it's probably already $00.

When I right click and goto Select Playfield Color it shows "Select Background Color" in the window. Maybe that's part of the problem or you maybe just mislabeled the window. The background color says the same thing so that seems correct. I understand what those two colors to select are, but what is the "Choose Color" for? The window says Select Sprite Color, yet I'm not doing sprites.

Just noticed that as well. That's an artifact of me copying/pasting code and not changing the dialog title. That must have been like that for a LONG time. Will fix it.

I don't know what my initial hesitation was with not liking your projects and tools, but I find myself using them more and more all the time.. thanks a bunch. I still don't use projects as you intended, such as keeping my games separate, but I do enjoy that playfields and sprites are separated... and I do enjoy using those tools now. I'm working on a game now that's composed of a bunch of playfields. Gonna see how many I can cram into a game. So far I've designed 15 tonight alone using your tool. Very handy indeed.

I'm glad you finally converted :)

I spoke awhile ago about the option to delete the temp music files generated by the music program. Lately, I found myself going back and listening to them.

That brings me to my new idea.. a setting you can choose to automatically delete them or to keep them. Also, how about having them save to a subfolder in the \bin folder labeled \music or something. Maybe a setting to keep the most current XX amount and delete older ones?!

This way everyone can be happy. You can choose to save everything until the end of time, choose to keep 20 or 30 if you're like me and want to hear something you previously did and don't want to waste a lot of space, or if you're like I originally was and don't want to waste any space.

I can look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Jeff

Would you expect that option to delete all temporary music files or just the most recent? Say you had the option disabled, tested some music, and then enabled that option. Would it clear all the files?

-Jeff

Either would be fine.. long as I don't have 800 things taking up space. I just randomly click buttons until I find things that sound nice, so I've got a lot of temp files.

Would you expect that option to delete all temporary music files or just the most recent? Say you had the option disabled, tested some music, and then enabled that option. Would it clear all the files?

-Jeff

I am not sure, but does it have the option to see line numbers ?

I mean in the left ?

if it doesn0t could you add this feature? it is very useful to find the line much faster (imho).

Devwebcl

At the bottom it always tells you your current line number and you can jump to a line number by pressing Control-G or Edit->Go To.

-Jeff

Jeff,

As listed before, I too am having the "Unhandled exception - irrKlang.NET2.0" problem.

I've got both files zipped into the same folder, I've got all the .nets versions, I'm running Vista x64, and everything is on the hard drive.

Anything else I need to check to fix this?

NOTE: Also, if you use backspace inside the settings tab (to, say, edit the bB compiler path) it causes an unhandled exception as well.

Here's the actual unhandled exception text:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'irrKlang.NET2.0, Version=1.1.3.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a854741bd80517c7'

at VisualbB.SoundLib.vbBSoundLib..ctor()

at VisualbB.DialogMusic..ctor()

at VisualbB.mainIDE.MusicEditorToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

VisualbB

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.550

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.550

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Captainrhythm/Desktop/Batari/VisualbB.exe

Microsoft.VisualBasic

Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

System.Configuration

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

VisualbB.SoundLib

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Captainrhythm/Desktop/Batari/VisualbB.SoundLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Jeff,

As listed before, I too am having the "Unhandled exception - irrKlang.NET2.0" problem.

I've got both files zipped into the same folder, I've got all the .nets versions, I'm running Vista x64, and everything is on the hard drive.

Anything else I need to check to fix this?

NOTE: Also, if you use backspace inside the settings tab (to, say, edit the bB compiler path) it causes an unhandled exception as well.

Here's the actual unhandled exception text:

Not sure how that one got in there. I can fix the settings tab, but I think the problem with the sound system not working is due to the fact that you're still running under virtualization? I can double check this works on 64-bit when I get back home, but I am pretty sure it's the virtual machine that is failing this for you.

-Jeff

Happy to report the "Remove Test Files" work. Glad to see DATA statement made it's way into the new version!! I think that's gonna suit me just fine.

I was fooling around with the Graphics Converter. How about it sharing some of the same settings as VbB does? Currently when I goto file, save code it defaults to where I opened my image from (desktop). I'd like it to default saving my code to where I save the rest of my bB code, which goes in c:\atari2600\bB.

Also, Maybe someone can answer this.. I was using the graphics converter. I loaded an image and made it 96 x 192. Not sure if this is even doable. I get the following error when compiling:

DASM V2.20.07, Macro Assembler ©1988-2003

Warning: Unable to open '2600basic_variable_redefs.h'

--- Unresolved Symbol List

game 0000 ???? (R )

bs_mask 0000 ???? (R )

Fatal assembly error: Source is not resolvable.

Errors were encountered during assembly.

Maybe it's because I did too high of a resolution.. maybe the Graphics Converter should have limits on how high it can convert or warn me the file might not work.

Happy to report the "Remove Test Files" work. Glad to see DATA statement made it's way into the new version!! I think that's gonna suit me just fine.

I was fooling around with the Graphics Converter. How about it sharing some of the same settings as VbB does? Currently when I goto file, save code it defaults to where I opened my image from (desktop). I'd like it to default saving my code to where I save the rest of my bB code, which goes in c:\atari2600\bB.

Also, Maybe someone can answer this.. I was using the graphics converter. I loaded an image and made it 96 x 192. Not sure if this is even doable. I get the following error when compiling:

game 0000 ???? (R )

bs_mask 0000 ???? (R )

Maybe it's because I did too high of a resolution.. maybe the Graphics Converter should have limits on how high it can convert or warn me the file might not work.

96 x 192 should work fine with the Bitmap Kernel, but it's not going to work with the standard kernel (maybe in the future though). I could have made this more integrated with vbB with warnings, but it was really written to be a standard alone .exe for use with the bitmap kernel. It's use assumes you're familiar with the limitations of bB and the bitmap kernel.

-Keff

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. This is a different person than the last to have this problem. I'm not running a virtual system, just plain ol' Vista 64.

I don't have 64-bit Vista to test, but I can try on Window 7 64-bit on Wed and see if it fails. Unfortunately that's an open source library that I can't really change so if it's an issue that is not something I can really change unless I find an alternate library to use.

Sorry,

Jeff

Got it, so then generating .bas code should only be used for standard resolutions.

game 0000 ???? (R )

bs_mask 0000 ???? (R )

96 x 192 should work fine with the Bitmap Kernel, but it's not going to work with the standard kernel (maybe in the future though). I could have made this more integrated with vbB with warnings, but it was really written to be a standard alone .exe for use with the bitmap kernel. It's use assumes you're familiar with the limitations of bB and the bitmap kernel.

-Keff

Got it, so then generating .bas code should only be used for standard resolutions.

Yes. I could prevent that, but I'd need to unblock it if bB supports it at a later date. I am hoping there is a future update where the bitmap kernel is just part of the bB compiler.

-Jeff

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. This is a different person than the last to have this problem. I'm not running a virtual system, just plain ol' Vista 64.

It looks like the .NET 2.0 library I am using requires Msvcr80.dll and MSVCM80.DLL. I believe you can get these from the visual C++ redistributable here (2.6MB download). Let me know if that fixes it for you? It looks like these are commonly installed with Microsoft Office which is why I am guessing most folks have not encountered this.

There is a library for .NET FX 1.1 that doesn't require those. I might give that a shot and see if it works the same. If so I'll switch to that in later release so you don't require more prerequisite DLLs.

-Jeff

There is a library for .NET FX 1.1 that doesn't require those. I might give that a shot and see if it works the same. If so I'll switch to that in later release so you don't require more prerequisite DLLs.

-Jeff

No such luck. I already had office installed, but went ahead and gave it a shot. On the irrklang site, there's a thread about this problem. One of the developers (maybe, I didn't pay too much attention) mentioned that this might be a bug in the current version. *shrug*

-Jeff

No such luck. I already had office installed, but went ahead and gave it a shot. On the irrklang site, there's a thread about this problem. One of the developers (maybe, I didn't pay too much attention) mentioned that this might be a bug in the current version. *shrug*

Please PM me the thread.

Thanks,

Jeff

You and me both. :)

Yes. I could prevent that, but I'd need to unblock it if bB supports it at a later date. I am hoping there is a future update where the bitmap kernel is just part of the bB compiler.

-Jeff

It looks like the .NET 2.0 library I am using requires Msvcr80.dll and MSVCM80.DLL. I believe you can get these from the visual C++ redistributable here (2.6MB download). Let me know if that fixes it for you? It looks like these are commonly installed with Microsoft Office which is why I am guessing most folks have not encountered this.

-Jeff

If anybody else has a problem using Vista or Windows 7 64-bit PM me. I have a version that fixes the problem now. It will be included in the next release.

-Jeff