batari basic

711 replies to this topic

#701 Coolcrab OFFLINE  

Coolcrab

Moonsweeper

• 399 posts

Posted Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 AM

You are a hero! Thanks. :)

This totally beats editing in notepad and pasting it into VbB.

Edited by Coolcrab, Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 AM.

#702 pedgarcia OFFLINE  

pedgarcia

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:00 PM

For some reason my VbB is very slow, it takes > 20s to type a character. Very strange. I'm on win 7.

Coolcrab, maybe that is not your case, but I noticed Visual bB is slow like that when I load a sample file that has too many comments using semicolons. To "fix" that, I open the file using another text editor and replace all ";" to "rem". That woked for me.

I hope that helps

Paulo

Update: Didn't see the answers after posting that :) woops...

Edited by pedgarcia, Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:01 PM.

#703 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,796 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:49 PM

Coolcrab, maybe that is not your case, but I noticed Visual bB is slow like that when I load a sample file that has too many comments using semicolons. To "fix" that, I open the file using another text editor and replace all ";" to "rem". That woked for me.

Are you using build 568? It shouldn't do that.

#704 MoonTurtle OFFLINE  

MoonTurtle

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 PM

There are several questions here, though the first one is the most important, the others are only minor questions.

I don't know if anyone has had this happen to them, but for some reason, when I opened my project in Visual bB, My default.bas was completely gone... well not gone, but all of the text in it was gone, I have no idea what happened, I didn't do anything to it yesterday, not only that, but now I can't even open the sprite for Player 0, all of my code is gone, 

also, before that ever happened, yesterday I couldn't compile the default.bas (this happened the day before, when the code was still there before it vanished)

it told me that it "could not locate sed.exe" 

also, just a small little question about sprites, you know that Halo Master Chief sprite? (from Halo 2600) I notice the helmet towards the middle has yellow and green in the same horizonal line, despite the limitations of the A2600, how was that done? I don't know if its possible to do that in PlayerPal or Visual bB's sprite editor...

is there a programming trick that would allow for multiple sprites on screen without flickering? (like Saboteur, Berzerk, Phoenix, etc)

#705 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 598 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:51 PM

I don't use VbB at all, so I will let someone else answer about that part - although you may want to search your drove for default.bas in case your working copy is around elsewhere.

If you ever want to see how anything is drawn in an existing game, you can enable "debug colors" in Stella (control-comma on PC; command-comma on Mac).  In the case of the Master Chief sprite, it looks like he is drawn using the player 0 sprite, and the ball.  The background objects are copies of the player 1 sprite.  This can be done in bB if you use the multisprite or DPC+ kernel.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 2.52.26 PM.png

Halo 2600 (2010) (Ed Fries).png

#706 MoonTurtle OFFLINE  

MoonTurtle

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:20 PM

Okay, thank you! :)

#707 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 9,244 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 PM

The 2600 has only a few resources that  can be drawn (besides then playfield) across the screen: 2 sprites, 2 missiles and the ball.  In batari BASIC game makers experience these objects as 2 8 pixel wide sprites and three rectangular solid boxes.   But, at a hardware level it's more like these are five different crayons that can be dragged across the screen.  Ed Fries chose to draw the player layer by layer with one crayon then switched to another part way through the helmet area with a different crayon.  So, he wasn't breaking any rules getting the player sprite to be two colors on the same line.

#708 MoonTurtle OFFLINE  

MoonTurtle

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 PM

Well, that's interesting, it's nearly just like drawing sprites on the Colecovision, which if you want to the sprite to be more than one color, you kinda have to draw several sprites on top of the main sprite, each with different details, pretty cool,

Thank You!

#709 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,796 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 PM

There are several questions here, though the first one is the most important, the others are only minor questions.

I don't know if anyone has had this happen to them, but for some reason, when I opened my project in Visual bB, My default.bas was completely gone... well not gone, but all of the text in it was gone, I have no idea what happened, I didn't do anything to it yesterday, not only that, but now I can't even open the sprite for Player 0, all of my code is gone, 

also, before that ever happened, yesterday I couldn't compile the default.bas (this happened the day before, when the code was still there before it vanished)
it told me that it "could not locate sed.exe"

Are you using the latest version of bB (reveng41) and VbB (Build 568)?

Getting Started

How to 'Install' Visual batari Basic on a Windows PC

Also, I wonder if this would be helpful:

My .bin file can't be found (default.bas.bin can't be found)

If VbB is actually deleting your files, something is terribly wrong.

#710 MoonTurtle OFFLINE  

MoonTurtle

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 AM

I have 566, so I guess I don't have it up to date, 

#711 MoonTurtle OFFLINE  

MoonTurtle

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:33 AM

Did find a "default.inc" in my folder, would that have anything to do with the code vanishing?

#712 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,796 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:39 AM

Did find a "default.inc" in my folder, would that have anything to do with the code vanishing?

I'd make sure you have the latest bB and VbB, then see if anything changes. Also, did you look in your project folder using a real File Explorer folder and see what was there?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batari basic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users