Photo

A great way to mod your sega genesis or Saturn for component

49 replies to this topic

#1 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• 305 posts

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 12:03 AM

I notice alot of people get this s-video mod for there sega genesis. I have found a way to get component quality on your genesis without this s-video mod!

1st you need to get a scart cable. Whick you can get on ebay or wherever for hardly anything.

Then you need a...

Scart Splitter with RCA sound out put
Posted Image

Then the magical device known as the CSY 2100!!! This converts the scart signal to component and let me tell you it is WAY better then S-video!!!! All my games look better then even emulation.

Scart to Component
Posted Image

This device is a bit pricy at 100 dollars on ebay, but its just as expensive to get somebody else to cut a hole in your genesis and s-video mod it. I have a Sega CDX and because it has a seperate stereo port I dont need the scart splitter for sound. However the genesis 1 cannot use the scart cable although it has the stereo port. I just ordered a scart cable for my Sega Saturn and I am going to compare it to the normal s-video output. But being that the Sega Saturn does not have a seperate stereo port I needed a scart splitter with a stereo output port to get sound.

#2 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

River Patroller

• 2,965 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 12:13 AM

This device is a bit pricy at 100 dollars on ebay, but its just as expensive to get somebody else to cut a hole in your genesis and s-video mod it. I have a Sega CDX and because it has a seperate stereo port I dont need the scart splitter for sound. However the genesis 1 cannot use the scart cable although it has the stereo port. I just ordered a scart cable for my Sega Saturn and I am going to compare it to the normal s-video output. But being that the Sega Saturn does not have a seperate stereo port I needed a scart splitter with a stereo output port to get sound.

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to do this now that I have an HD set, but wasn't sure if the results would be worth the expense. I don't mind spending the money if it works, but if it didn't, I'd be pissed. Good to know !

#3 doubledown OFFLINE  

doubledown

Stargunner

• 1,697 posts
  • My ColecoVision had a baby!

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:12 AM

A cheaper way, and probably better way if you can solder and do the mod work yourself is to buy a JRok RGB arcade board and convert the high quality RGB signals from the Genesis or Saturn to component video.

#4 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 305 posts

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 5:31 PM

A cheaper way, and probably better way if you can solder and do the mod work yourself is to buy a JRok RGB arcade board and convert the high quality RGB signals from the Genesis or Saturn to component video.

Well the reason I post this is because not everybody knows how to solder. The resolution of this device on my Highdef TV is INCREDIBLE! This is just the easy way without modding!

#5 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 305 posts

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 5:34 PM

Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to do this now that I have an HD set, but wasn't sure if the results would be worth the expense. I don't mind spending the money if it works, but if it didn't, I'd be pissed. Good to know !

No problem! I assure you this device is great and the signal is unbelievable! Gunstar Heroes looks so much better! Its worth the money because it does work!

#6 doubledown OFFLINE  

doubledown

Stargunner

• 1,697 posts

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:47 PM

So what video signal is the SCART to Y-U-V converter starting with to convert to component? Composite, s-video?

#7 FujiSkunk OFFLINE  

FujiSkunk

Quadrunner

• 6,024 posts
  • Behold the Fuji!

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:54 PM

So what video signal is the SCART to Y-U-V converter starting with to convert to component? Composite, s-video?

RGB. Read up on SCART.

Edited by skunkworx, Wed Apr 9, 2008 6:55 PM.

#8 doubledown OFFLINE  

doubledown

Stargunner

• 1,697 posts

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 9:07 PM

I'm familiar with SCART even though I live in the US, but for a scart cable to provide an RGB signal, the console has to output RGB. Most consoles, at least here in the US, don't provide RGB signals at their respective audio/visual output port. So if you plugged a scart cable into say a US Sega Genesis (if possible) the only video signal which would be there is composite video. So how does one achieve the RGB signal needed to then be converted to component video via the converter?

#9 Prodos8 OFFLINE  

Prodos8

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Where is John Galt?

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2008 10:02 PM

I'm familiar with SCART even though I live in the US, but for a scart cable to provide an RGB signal, the console has to output RGB. Most consoles, at least here in the US, don't provide RGB signals at their respective audio/visual output port. So if you plugged a scart cable into say a US Sega Genesis (if possible) the only video signal which would be there is composite video. So how does one achieve the RGB signal needed to then be converted to component video via the converter?

AFAIK all the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn systems (except Genesis model 3) provide RGB/Sync signals at the A/V connector. If you have a model 1 you could always use the headphone jack for sound and one of these converters for component video, skipping the switch deal. The a/v connectors is different though on the model 1 vs model 2 (CDX) Genesis.

#10 doubledown OFFLINE  

doubledown

Stargunner

• 1,697 posts

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 AM

AFAIK all the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn systems (except Genesis model 3) provide RGB/Sync signals at the A/V connector. If you have a model 1 you could always use the headphone jack for sound and one of these converters for component video, skipping the switch deal. The a/v connectors is different though on the model 1 vs model 2 (CDX) Genesis.

I see. I checked the pinouts of these and you're correct. The Genesis 1 & 2 among others including the SNES SNS-001 have RGB & Sync lines at their respective audio/video connectors. Now if you just had an RGB monitor you could forget about down-grading it to component video and enjoy the best possible graphics.

#11 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 305 posts

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 PM

I see. I checked the pinouts of these and you're correct. The Genesis 1 & 2 among others including the SNES SNS-001 have RGB & Sync lines at their respective audio/video connectors. Now if you just had an RGB monitor you could forget about down-grading it to component video and enjoy the best possible graphics.

Well the idea again was not to have to buy a RGB monitor. Trust me the signal is awsome on a high def tv. It is still better then these s-video mods people get. I was trying to help people who dont want to tear open there Sega Genesis and soldier a S-video mod. Anybody can aquire this signal by just doing these simple things. The signal converts very good. I am not a expert on it but it looks better then anything I have seen for sega genesis.

#12 Giltygear OFFLINE  

Giltygear

Moonsweeper

• 310 posts

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:41 PM

i have my genesis hooked up with standard av's, and i think it looks pretty nice... i alos have a tube TV because i refuse to get a new tv...

#13 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,286 posts

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:48 PM

Now if you just had an RGB monitor you could forget about down-grading it to component video and enjoy the best possible graphics.

Except its the age old problem of needing an RGB monitor that can sync down to 15Khz, no?

#14 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 305 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:40 AM

i have my genesis hooked up with standard av's, and i think it looks pretty nice... i alos have a tube TV because i refuse to get a new tv...

Yea, AV might look a little better on a tube then a flat screen high def. You must be a scroodge! LOL! Bah--Hum Bug... Ill never get a new TV! LOL!

#15 doubledown OFFLINE  

doubledown

Stargunner

• 1,697 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:00 AM

Now if you just had an RGB monitor you could forget about down-grading it to component video and enjoy the best possible graphics.

Except its the age old problem of needing an RGB monitor that can sync down to 15Khz, no?

True, but there's always a ton of professional video equipment monitors on ebay that will do this. Generally anywhere from 8" - 35", and prices start anywhere from $25 - $500. Biggest problem with anything big is going to be shipping unless you can find one in driving distance. I keep my eye open for them, but haven't yet been able to get one for what I'm willing to pay that's within an hour or two from me.

#16 MCHufnagel OFFLINE  

MCHufnagel

Stargunner

• 1,619 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 AM

Yea, AV might look a little better on a tube then a flat screen high def.

I've moved my Genny 1 set-up (W/cd and 32X) around and really there isn't much difference, to me at least, between my 27" CRT and my 37" LCD HDTV. I set the input to 4:3 and I get around a 28" screen. I use standard A/V cable with audio going out from the headphone output. I am interested in seeing how it looks with the component box though. I just may get one.

#17 doubledown OFFLINE  

doubledown

Stargunner

• 1,697 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:46 AM

I've done the S-Video mod on a model II, and a couple 3s and it makes a huge difference. With component being an upgrade it should be even better. It's definately noticable on games like sonic with it's blazing speeds.

#18 warmachine OFFLINE  

warmachine

Dragonstomper

• 514 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 AM

You could buy an 8liners monitor chassis that will convert almost any regular
television into an arcade monitor that will accept the 15khz rgb input.

If I had the room, I'd make use of all those old console t.v.'s that a lot of people
seem to be throwing away.

http://forum.arcadec...hp?topic=5448.0

#19 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 9,286 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 AM

I've done the S-Video mod on a model II, and a couple 3s and it makes a huge difference.

Absolutely. After modding my Gen3 for s-video, I really don't want to use any other Genesis I have now. :D

#20 doubledown OFFLINE  

doubledown

Stargunner

• 1,697 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:55 AM

I like the model 3 just due to it's rediculously tiny size. Granted you don't get Sega CD (or 32X if I'm not mistaken) compatability, but realistically the best Genesis games are just those, Genesis games. There are a few CD games I like. I can honestly say I really enjoy Sewer Shark, the pack in game for the Sega CD Model 2, and Flink was a good game too. There was also a golf game I liked as well, but not enough to want to fire up a Genesis model 1 or 2 and the Sega CD model 1 or 2. Some of my favorite games on the Genesis are Flicky, Lost Vikings, Lemmings 1 and 2, and there are a ton of others quality games like StarFlight if you have the time and dedication. The Genesis kicks ass, especially in the tiny minature Model 3 form factor. Heres a few pics of the one I modded a whiles back:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by doubledown, Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:11 PM.

#21 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 305 posts

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:23 PM

I've done the S-Video mod on a model II, and a couple 3s and it makes a huge difference.

Absolutely. After modding my Gen3 for s-video, I really don't want to use any other Genesis I have now. :D

The component signal is truly alot better then S-video. Some of the 2d games like sonic cd, Flink, and Gunstar Heroes look like Sega Saturn Games with component. The color and contrast is so unbelievable. This is the best signal I have seen for a Sega Genesis and it doesnt need to be modded. If you saw the difference you would rather play your Genny on component!

#22 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts
  • The Central Scrutinizer

Posted Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:18 PM

Very interesting. I was on ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ290221309372

Could this be used instead of the scart switch? It looks like it could plug right in to the scart input of the YUV adaptor and be a lot less bulky.

Then you just plug your Genny composit a/v in to that right? or did I miss something?

BTW: CDX ... best Genesis system EVER

HMM, in re-reading the thread I guess I did miss something. How the heck do I get scart out of my US Genny, particularly my CDX? There is a piece missing here for a non-modded console as the author has described. Can someone post a photo of the cable needed to go from the console to scart? I know there are scart cables for Nintendo, Saturn and Sony consoles, so that's no problem, but what about the US Genny?

Edited by Ruddygore, Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:35 PM.

#23 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 305 posts

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:13 AM

Could this be used instead of the scart switch? It looks like it could plug right in to the scart input of the YUV adaptor and be a lot less bulky.

Then you just plug your Genny composit a/v in to that right? or did I miss something?

HMM, in re-reading the thread I guess I did miss something. How the heck do I get scart out of my US Genny, particularly my CDX? There is a piece missing here for a non-modded console as the author has described. Can someone post a photo of the cable needed to go from the console to scart? I know there are scart cables for Nintendo, Saturn and Sony consoles, so that's no problem, but what about the US Genny?

That thing converts RGB Scart to S-video which is really downgrading the signal. Plus I heard that sometimes you just get a black and white signal from going scart to S-video. The Sega CDX is the best! The CSY 2100 is the best conversion!

#24 phonedork OFFLINE  

phonedork

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 305 posts

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:19 AM

I have a CDX also. Just get a megadrive scart cable from Ebay. It works on the CDX! The only one that it doesn work is propably the Sega Genesis Model 1. Thats what I heard from the guy who I bought it from on ebay.

#25 Mark Wolfe OFFLINE  

Mark Wolfe

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts
  • The Central Scrutinizer

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:00 PM

ahh ok, so as with the sony and nintendo console scart cables, there is one for Genesis as well, I see. When I searched last night I did not find one but I'm sure you're right and one will pop up soon for cheap.

I did see the converter for under $60, not $100 last night on ebay if that's worth anything to anyone. It looked exactly the same as the one you posted but did not have a brand name on it or model number:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=330225668061

I guess you had the scart switcher in the thread so if you had more than one console you wanted to convert, it would be less cable unplugging. Now I get it. [sorry to be so slow on the uptake there]

Only problem is, I have no idea where to find a scart switcher. They were not on ebay either. Do you know of an online vendor that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to ship to the US?

addendum: answered my own question:
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0007XQA8G

hmm. I think I'll hold out for the Genny scart cable to pop up on ebay and go from there. I currently have component cables for my Saturn & Dreamcast. It would be nice to get it going for the Genny, the SNES and the the Sony consoles as well.

Does anyone know if the Famicom toploader, the one they made in Japan only, with the standard Nintendo A/V cable, has RGB out? It's the same plug as the SNES and the Gamecube. That would definitely get me on board with the whole scart conversion if that worked for my toploader famicom.

woohoo!

Edited by Mark_Wolfe, Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:41 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users