IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 32: Adventures of Tron

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You are Tron, the electronic gladiator, fending off the attackers sent by the Master Control Program. Keep moving from side-to-side and floor-to-floor. You have the elevators, the I/O beam, and the Solar Sailer at your disposal. Wave after wave of attackers must be avoided - deadly Recognizers and Grid Bugs, even cannon-firing tanks.

s_AdventuresOfTron_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Adventures of Tron
  • Released By: M-Network, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Faster Speed
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: keilbaca

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday April 23rd at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 101,600 (phaxda) [+11]
  2. 57,200 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 46,600 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 42,700 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 42,400 (aftermac) [+7]
  6. 39,300 (StanJr) [+6]
  7. 38,600 (toymailman) [+5]
  8. 37,500 (Captain Beard) [+4]
  9. 28,600 (opeygon) [+3]
  10. 28,200 (shadow460) [+2]
  11. 28,000 (hrecker) [+1]
  12. 23,400 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  13. 23,200 (Gemini) [+1]
  14. 20,200 (theking21083) [+1]
  15. 19,500 (jimdandy75) [+1]
  16. 18,600 (Shannon) [+1]
  17. 14,600 (Impaler_26) [+1]
  18. 11,800 (doctorclu) [+1]
  19. 11,000 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips
  • phaxda [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 996,800 (Ron Corcoran)
  2. 69,800 (Alan W Hewston)
  3. 15,600 (Stephen Knox)
Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [306]
  2. toymailman [275]
  3. keilbaca [185]
  4. Captain Beard [151]
  5. theking21083 [122]
  6. aftermac [117]
  7. Impaler_26 [107]
  8. Kurt_Woloch [98]
  9. homerwannabee [90]
  10. PressureCooker2600 [87]
  11. Nathan Strum [84]
  12. SpiceWare [75]
  13. Gemini [69]
  14. rheffera [65]
  15. phaxda [55]
  16. Mister VCS [53]
  17. midnight magicman [48]
  18. StanJr [47]
  19. Recycled [44]
  20. Bentley Bear! [44]
  21. LarcenTyler [37]
  22. DarthCalvin [36]
  23. Blackjack [35]
  24. Christophero Sly [35]
  25. the 5th ghost [30]
  26. shadow460 [25]
  27. Rom Hunter [23]
  28. ed1475 [19]
  29. Butterwasp [18]
  30. doctorclu [12]
  31. theKLT [12]
  32. lucifershalo [12]
  33. godzillajoe [10]
  34. Artlover [9]
  35. atariwarrior [9]
  36. Dauber [9]
  37. vintagegamecrazy [8]
  38. Shannon [7]
  39. keitaro [7]
  40. lonewolfette9847 [6]
  41. opeygon [6]
  42. Goochman [6]
  43. atari2600land [6]
  44. Omegamatrix [6]
  45. darthkur [6]
  46. chuckwalla [5]
  47. Nognir [5]
  48. MrBeefy [5]
  49. cosmosiss [3]
  50. Crazy Climber [3]
  51. SeaGtGruff [3]
  52. gospeedde [2]
  53. Phantom [2]
  54. Snider-man [2]
  55. EricDeLee [1]
  56. Whickeycolumbus [1]
  57. RJ [1]
  58. jboypacman [1]
  59. hrecker [1]
  60. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  61. HatNJ [1]
  62. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Adventures of Tron
  • Intercept a Bit on the First Floor - 100 points
  • Intercept a Bit on the Second Floor - 200 points
  • Intercept a Bit on the Third Floor - 400 points
  • Intercept a Bit on the Top Floor - 800 points
  • Bonus for completing a level - 2000 points

Hints and Tips
  • Follow the MCP attackers with your man instead of leading them. It's safer with Recognizers & Grid Bugs. What's more - Tanks cannot shoot backwards!
  • Don't try to jump over a Recognizer or a Tank on the upper 3 floors! It's hard! (On the ground floor jumping over tanks & Grid Bugs is easier!)
  • Watch the screen edges! Don't get blind-sided. Attackers have a very nasty habit of entering a floor above or below just when your man arrives up the elevator!
  • Practice coordinating the joystick & red jump button. Do this enough times until it's second nature.
  • Always start your man on the ground floor and work up gradually. You'll have more time to get your bearings, pick up the easier scoring bits as you move him up.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online for your viewing pleasure. jimdandy75 has also posted scans of the manual in this post Here are the hints it provides:
aftermac
Here is a review of the game that kind of explains what's happening:

http://www.atarihq.com/reviews/2600/adventures_of_tron.html

Essentially, you have to jump and grab the little floating bits, except the arrow, that carries you to the end of the screen or until you push down. That's it... grab the floating bits.

To activate the elevators you must cross the center shaft, first. You must jump over the shaft to get to the other side. You can push down and drop through the floor to avoid enemies. You can jump over enemies to avoid them, but I haven't had much luck with that. The enemies start at the top and work their way from the top down, entering the next row from the same side they exited the last, but traveling the opposite direction.

When all of the little bits are gone the center will turn blue. Enter the blue shaft to go to the next screen. Repeat.
StanJr
Moments of Epiphany for me:

You can drop to a lower level at any point. So when danger looms, drop!

Don't be a slave to the bottom-to-top method of clearing the levels. As a matter of fact a top down approach can be better. Mainly, just get what you can get when you can get it. Since you can exit the level from any platform, it doesn't matter where than last bit is snagged.

Collision detection is sketchy. I try to catch the bits with my back elbow as I jump. This works best for me. Head on catching is hit or miss.

I don't even try to jump the enemies, unless I'm in dire straits. Best to drop down and wait them out, then return to the top.

On the top level, it is best to snag on bit and then go ahead and drop to the next level. Waiting around for that other bit will usually take too long and a tank will pop and out shoot you.

If you jump to snag a bit and a tank appears and shoots, you probably will not have time to land and drop, you will probably be dead. Anticipate the tank and decide if you can make that jump.

Make crossing the middle your FIRST priority when ascending to a new platform. This guarantees that the elevator will work when you need it most. You don't want dropping down to be your only option.

Far as I can tell, there is no time limit, so don't feel rushed to get the bits, just work the screen until you have them all.
phaxda
NEVER go on the top platform unless there's an enemy up there with you. Sneak in behind them as they appear from the sides.

Also, forget using the arrow transporter thing on the third level. The detection is shaky and it's just not worth the risk.

Do use the fireman's pole as an escape hatch, though. That's another reason to play from the top down--you can always slide on down to the thingamagigs you missed on the way up.

At higher levels you NEED to jump tanks from time to time. There's really no other good way to get up to the top. Also, I have had to use the dread arrow transporter from time to time but only when I know if I miss it it's not a big deal and that there's an escape hatch if I miss it (usually just dropping straight down). You also need to go straight at the tanks that are about to wrap around at you sometimes and then drop down immediately as they hit your level, usually right as the tank below you is passing by. It's a precise maneuver!
Deteacher
I don't really try to work from bottom to top OR top to bottom. I just try to watch for holes between the enemies. Knowing how to squeeze between the enemies is the key to surviving for me. Just make sure you cross over the I/O beam so you're free to move up as well as down. It's better to have 2 choices when things get hairy.
phaxda
This game is all about risk avoidance. Because there is no timer, there's no need to jump at bits if there's any chance you'll die. The right time will come; you just need to wait. It's taken me probably 10 minutes to clear a board before, just because I am jumping around waiting for that right moment where I know I can get the bit without interference, so that the space opens up where I have that half second to jump and then bail to a lower level easily before the big bad tanks come out the side. Every time I die, it's because of something that was avoidable, usually mis-timed jumps.

That's one part of the patience. The other is the crappy collision detection. I honestly would not be surprised if somehow it was intentional because it gets you all ticked off that you HAD that bit, but for whatever reason it didn't register. The key is to not expect to grab the bit. I always assume I'll miss it, so that instead of being disappointed in NOT picking it up, I'm happy when I do pick one up. It requires a glass half-full mentality, I think.

One tip I forgot before: when jumping tanks, do it from the middle of the playfield. The tanks can only fire one shot at a time, until the first shot goes off of the board. If you're on the edge you can easily hop the first shot, but when the tank reloads you're going to have to jump the next shot AND the tank as it comes at you, which is often a losing proposition. But if you're in the middle you can just jump the first shot fired and then hop the tank itself as the bullet (shell, mortar, whatever) is behind you.

Also, I think some games are easier after a couple of beers. I've discovered that this isn't one of them.
Shannon
My only tip is that when you are on the elevators, AND when they are moving, you will not die when you touch a baddy. So sometimes you can hop on one at the last second and still not die.

The collision detection on this game absolutely sucks. Follow the advice posted earlier. If you turn your guy so he is facing away from the bit and then jump up while it is passing over you. You'll be more likely to get it (no 100% guarantee, though). :)

--Zero

10,200 for my first attempt.

I've always been kinda torn about this game... it could've been so much better.

But man, Difficulty A is tough!

This is one of my faves. 69,300 but that is just a start.
At Difficulty A!?! Wow!

It's pretty early in the week to be so impressed... that's better than my personal high score on the easy variation!

post-10225-1208387562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Captain Beard

Well, here is a solid doubling+ of my score. Still not fond of it, but I'm getting a bit better.

SpiceWare, here is a review of the game that kind of explains what's happening:

http://www.atarihq.com/reviews/2600/adventures_of_tron.html

Essentially, you have to jump and grab the little floating bits, except the arrow, that carries you to the end of the screen or until you push down. That's it... grab the floating bits.

To activate the elevators you must cross the center shaft, first. You must jump over the shaft to get to the other side. You can push down and drop through the floor to avoid enemies. You can jump over enemies to avoid them, but I haven't had much luck with that. The enemies start at the top and work their way from the top down, entering the next row from the same side they exited the last, but traveling the opposite direction.

When all of the little bits are gone the center will turn blue. Enter the blue shaft to go to the next screen. Repeat.

post-17553-1208390568_thumb.png

Not sure how far I can really go with this game. I'm not terribly good.

Moments of Epiphany for me:

You can drop to a lower level at any point. So when danger looms, drop!

Don't be a slave to the bottom-to-top method of clearing the levels. As a matter of fact a top down approach can be better. Mainly, just get what you can get when you can get it. Since you can exit the level from any platform, it doesn't matter where than last bit is snagged.

Collision detection is sketchy. I try to catch the bits with my back elbow as I jump. This works best for me. Head on catching is hit or miss.

I don't even try to jump the enemies, unless I'm in dire straits. Best to drop down and wait them out, then return to the top.

On the top level, it is best to snag on bit and then go ahead and drop to the next level. Waiting around for that other bit will usually take too long and a tank will pop and out shoot you.

If you jump to snag a bit and a tank appears and shoots, you probably will not have time to land and drop, you will probably be dead. Anticipate the tank and decide if you can make that jump.

Make crossing the middle your FIRST priority when ascending to a new platform. This guarantees that the elevator will work when you need it most. You don't want dropping down to be your only option.

Far as I can tell, there is no time limit, so don't feel rushed to get the bits, just work the screen until you have them all.

Good luck!

post-409-1208403628_thumb.jpg

Edited by StanJr

Well, as suspected, I had it on the easy setting for my first game. That's the bad news. The good news is that my best so far on the hard is 60,400 which I think I can improve on...that level gets insanely tough though. Have to practice my tank-jumping.

Tips have been covered well, but my #1: NEVER go on the top platform unless there's an enemy up there with you. Sneak in behind them as they appear from the sides.

Also, forget using the arrow transporter thing on the third level. The detection is shaky and it's just not worth the risk.

Do use the fireman's pole as an escape hatch, though. That's another reason to play from the top down--you can always slide on down to the thingamagigs you missed on the way up.

post-6271-1208419519_thumb.jpg

Edited by phaxda

collision detection with the floating bits in this game sucks, it seems like its a 50% chance whether or not colliding with a bit will register, and yet every collision with the enemy is detected w/out flaw.

Yep, that's exactly what i hate about this game!!! I can't remember how often i flew directly through one of those floating pieces and nothing happened! :x

It really makes this game an exercise in frustration!

So far my best is:

post-12950-1208455342_thumb.png

New High Score for me: 42,400.

I don't really try to work from bottom to top OR top to bottom. I just try to watch for holes between the enemies. Knowing how to squeeze between the enemies is the key to surviving for me. Just make sure you cross over the I/O beam so you're free to move up as well as down. It's better to have 2 choices when things get hairy.

post-9712-1208616339_thumb.jpg