IGNORED

Atari 400/800 Emulation Problems

wombombs

8) Hey Everybody

Those old Atari 8-bit computers r my second favourite 8bit Machine and i miss this computer so im now emulating it.

About 40% of those Games i downloaded i can never get to work :sad:

I mainly use Atari800win v2.6a and its working fine. A bit slow for my 266mhz machine but it useable.

But how compatiable is it. I can plays lots of ATR games and stuff. But a Huge selection from the Net never work.

Not to mention my Favourites... :(

So 1 question...

Whats the most popular Atari 400/800 Emulator that most people use ??

Or do i gotta download dozens of Ataris Emulators all the time...

you should get atari800win 3.0 plus...

and use "XL model" emulation not the 800 emulation as these machine is newer... most "old" software should run in this mode...

you should as well switch "basic" off and use "Atariosb" in the settings...

i hope this helps...

hve

and use "XL model" emulation not the 800 emulation as these machine is newer... most "old" software should run in this mode...

:roll: ^ Oh... u said this.. Doesnt Matter

I now can get Most of my Atari 800 Games to work now thanks to you suggesting the Atari800Win Plus...

Thanks !! :P

If you are refering to games under Atari800win - you don't need DOS to boot any ATR format games - and the executables or binaries are loaded directly into the Emulator without DOS...

Any DOS errors you are getting are likely due to a bad game image file, or the wrong hardware configuration (Basic on or off, PAL vs NTSC or the wrong Atari OS)...

sTeVE

ok guys,

Sort of a related topic. If I were to run STEEM, or another ST emulator on a PC, would I be able to use regular ST floppies in the PC without modification? I mean I've got hundreds of ST floppies, will they run in the PC emulating the ST? My brother is thinking of selling me his laptop, if I could do this it would be a major selling point.

As always,

Markimus of K.

PS: I've never run an ST emulator on the PC, (my ST is sitting right beside me so I've never had the need) and therefore don't know a lot about them so please forgive my ignorance.

STEEM info:

1 - I wouldnt recommend running STEEM on a laptop - The video card prob isnt good enough to do it. I believe you can mount any disk on your system for STEEM though its quite easy to create a .st file from a floppy disk to run

2 - ST Software - after doing some searching I found a German based FTP server with just about everything you could want, I unfort cannot find it. You can however buy a CD collection from this site with everything I just mentioned: www.atari.st

I agree a laptop may not have enough video grunt to do STEEM justice - my VAIO of 2 years ago is not up to the task of it...

You can read ST discs on a PC floppy drive quite unreliably using just plain old explorer, but a program like wdfcopy is superior, it reads far more discs (I read in all my old dev discs recently) and is desigened so you can get files onto the PC - creating virtual ST discs...

Reading commercial games etc is problematic often because they use protection methods that confound the PC drive.

I found Little Green Desktop a superb website for ST disc images, predominantly by various pirate groups (Pomepy etc.), but you can find virtually any program you like there...

sTeVE

STEEM info:

1 - I wouldnt recommend running STEEM on a laptop - The video card prob isnt good enough to do it. I believe you can mount any disk on your system for STEEM though its quite easy to create a .st file from a floppy disk to run

So the consensus being... I should just forget the hassle and keep using my ST? Sounds good, that method has worked for me since 1988.

as always,

Markimus of K.

You could try some of the other less compatible ST emus though they are a bit harder to configure and run - I used Pacifist for awhile which was not too bad. Check the www.atari.st site for others. STEEM is a video hog but runs just about anything thrown its way!