IGNORED

Rare GOLD Lynx?

Crazy Climber

Some of the people in this thread have been kinda rude to the OP. I think it's pretty cool you posted this as I'd never seen nor heard of a gold lynx.

Thats why AA is so great to post stuff like this, the open mindedness of people is outstanding. :D

If we were talking about a fully functional Gold Lynx, then we would have a completely different situation. What does it matter if the D-Pad is different if it doesn't work? A Dpad that looks different and doesn't work INCREASES the value of a Lynx? That thing is also missing both back covers. If it looks like crap, and it works like crap, what do you have? I'm not even questioning the authenticity of the device, it may in fact be legitimate, it may not. That isn't the issue with me.

I have no problems with Buddy, but I really think that Lynx is crap. I don't know how to say that in a nice way.

You have a right to feel that way, and I can respect that opinion. But, if this thing is legit and there's a Lynx collector (or collector of various systems) who doesn't have it and doesn't care about it's functionality, they may be very interested. I just feel it's a bit much to be calling something a turd just because it's non-functioning and missing a few pieces. It's a turd if you're looking strictly to play it, but from a collector's standpoint it may be a nice piece to have.

If we were talking about a fully functional Gold Lynx, then we would have a completely different situation. What does it matter if the D-Pad is different if it doesn't work? A Dpad that looks different and doesn't work INCREASES the value of a Lynx? That thing is also missing both back covers. If it looks like crap, and it works like crap, what do you have? I'm not even questioning the authenticity of the device, it may in fact be legitimate, it may not. That isn't the issue with me.

I have no problems with Buddy, but I really think that Lynx is crap. I don't know how to say that in a nice way.

You have a right to feel that way, and I can respect that opinion. But, if this thing is legit and there's a Lynx collector (or collector of various systems) who doesn't have it and doesn't care about it's functionality, they may be very interested. I just feel it's a bit much to be calling something a turd just because it's non-functioning and missing a few pieces. It's a turd if you're looking strictly to play it, but from a collector's standpoint it may be a nice piece to have.

If you love it so much why don't you buy it :D

If you love it so much why don't you buy it :D

or better yet, marry it. wow the maturity.

Damn, I thought that the board most dedicated to Atari would behave a bit more mature on this type of thing. It's not a fake, obviously, and that's that. You guys know both Buddies and Jay Smith, neither of whom would scam anyone. It seems like you are talking out of your rears just to sound like you know something that you obviusly don't, which was proven the minute you knew nothing about a gold Lynx. Obviously, the machine can be repaired, if you take the time to do it.

Damn, I thought that the board most dedicated to Atari would behave a bit more mature on this type of thing. It's not a fake, obviously, and that's that. You guys know both Buddies and Jay Smith, neither of whom would scam anyone. It seems like you are talking out of your rears just to sound like you know something that you obviusly don't, which was proven the minute you knew nothing about a gold Lynx. Obviously, the machine can be repaired, if you take the time to do it.

Where's the proof it's an official Atari painted specialty item? There's no documentation anywhere. It's a legitimate Lynx device is the extent of the proof presented in the auction. Quite frankly, there's more proof of the Game Gear on Lynx adaptor. Virtually nobody knows about this Golden Lynx that was produced for a UK distributor. Only a small handful of people with no proof to back it up. Jay Smith and Buddy are excellent members, that is no question, but I would also have to speak up if one of them placed a Jaguar cartridge for sale, with no label, that was claimed to be a copy of Battlesphere that happened to not work, starting at $100.

I already said, the legitimacy doesn't bother me. The fact that it's extremely beat up with a starting bid of $100 is disturbing. Then you have to consider the legitimacy at this point: Is it actually rare or homemade spray painted? I think potential bidders deserve actual proof of a rarity such as this.

AEX...Could have also been SDL... (Who owned Sillica Shop, evetually got bought out by Anglo Corp)...If memory recalls SDL/Sillica were one of the UK's major Atari Distributors (according to people i knew from Sillica, they used to shift more stuff then Dixons...at least in London and the south east anyway)

And if memory recalls, Dixon's were more interested in the Commodores/Sinclairs/Amstrads etc (as well as the Nintendo/sega consoles)...The last item i remember seeing in Dixon's was an old Atari calculator (funnily enough made by a canadian company)

I'm pretty sure T2KFREEKER was being sarcastic. But again, here would be my questions as a collector.

#1. I was a member of the Gp32 scene for almost 3 years when it was first getting started. I've seen many a "pirate" painted system try to be sold as legitimate, I know the process of how to paint a system to look legitimate, before plopping down $100 on something that I know could VERY EASILY be faked, I would ask...Where is the proof? Is there a special serial number on the back? Anything?

#2. If this thing is a one of kind, a legitimate one of kind usually is a priceless item. Who in their right mind is going to beat it up so badly that it is A. non functional, B. missing parts?? The way I see it, if this Lynx was made for a UK distributor, the distributor knows it's one of a kind and is probably not going to destroy it. Unless the person who originally bought it was totally ignorant of it's rarity, or just didn't care. I for one can't imagine as a collector, beating the crap out of a rare item.

#3. I know neither person involved, Buddy or Jay Smith so I can't comment about them to question their motives or sincerity. Being this site is AtariAge, and the amount of people that frequent this site, if this item was a legitimate item, I would have thought by now someone would have come along with some information, which is why my last question would be...why hasn't anybody done that yet?

I'm sorry but all signs point to the item being a broken Lynx that was custom painted.

Could it be that Dixons asked about the possibility of a Gold Lynx? Then maybe for a meeting or something Atari just spraypainted a mock up for demonstration purposes. We do this at my job for building panels just to show what they would look like, but they are far from a finished product. They could have left it with them, nothing ever became of it (project was scrapped due to cancellation of the Lynx), and it sat around in a box or something being moved around time and time again (resulting in the damage) where eventually a Lynx collector saw some value in it and offered to buy it or vice versa. The only problem is without some kind of cool story or actual proof (written documents, etc..) it's really just a Gold spray painted Lynx.

@Buddies - I would do some research and try to get a little more info on it, I think that would increase it's value. Otherwise you basically have something anybody could just make themselves :)

Buyatari got a gold lynx proto off Curt Vendel,maybe one of those guys know more about it,maybe not. However i will not be posting anymore of my stuff on AA marketplace cause most of you guys on this thread act like assholes. Like i said in my ebay description" little is known about the Gold Lynx" it was from a U.K. distributor ,maybe Dixons,maybe somebody else,i do not know! The serial numbers on the back are like that of a regular Lynx 1 nothig special,not one of you emailed me asking for more pictures so it must not have been be an issue.

As far as the condition yeah its rough,looks like its been through a war! I dont know how it got like that,nor do i care,however i did notice that on the back where the paint has slightly worn off it looks like a clear white color,not sure it that means anything or not tho. I was told that the d-pad didnt work when i bought it,i didnt care,infact it just sat in a box after i got it. The loose power outlet was probably caused by the a/c adapter im sure. Maybe it was a Lynx kiosk display unit or something,that could explain its abuse in everyway,but who knows!! Those who have been collecting Atari items know that you find things in all types of conditions. Again if you guys want answers the best person to ask would be Curt Vendel!! He did sell one apparently,maybe it was different i have no idea. Im a very big Atari collector,i have more important things to do than try and rip somebody off for measly $100 dollars,some of you guys are pathetic.

$100 is far from measly for a lot of people, and if you notice your auction...nobody has bid. there's a reason for that. There are a lot more people than just AA members that go to Ebay, if it's rare, there would have been some bids by now.

I can't even sneak in a win on Ebay for something like a Pippin or PC-FX, Japanese game systems that almost nobody knows about because of the amount of knowledge that collectors have that use Ebay.

Edited by Atari5200

$100 is far from measly for a lot of people, and if you notice your auction...nobody has bid. there's a reason for that. There are a lot more people than just AA members that go to Ebay, if it's rare, there would have been some bids by now.

I can't even sneak in a win on Ebay for something like a Pippin or PC-FX, Japanese game systems that almost nobody knows about because of the amount of knowledge that collectors have that use Ebay.

whatever dude! most people will wait till the end to bid or snipe rather than drive up a price. Ive got plenty of watchers and even if they dont bid ive still got it sold off ebay,i just figured id give everybody a chance at it.

Buyatari got a gold lynx proto off Curt Vendel,maybe one of those guys know more about it,maybe not. However i will not be posting anymore of my stuff on AA marketplace cause most of you guys on this thread act like assholes. Like i said in my ebay description" little is known about the Gold Lynx" it was from a U.K. distributor ,maybe Dixons,maybe somebody else,i do not know! The serial numbers on the back are like that of a regular Lynx 1 nothig special,not one of you emailed me asking for more pictures so it must not have been be an issue.

As far as the condition yeah its rough,looks like its been through a war! I dont know how it got like that,nor do i care,however i did notice that on the back where the paint has slightly worn off it looks like a clear white color,not sure it that means anything or not tho. I was told that the d-pad didnt work when i bought it,i didnt care,infact it just sat in a box after i got it. The loose power outlet was probably caused by the a/c adapter im sure. Maybe it was a Lynx kiosk display unit or something,that could explain its abuse in everyway,but who knows!! Those who have been collecting Atari items know that you find things in all types of conditions. Again if you guys want answers the best person to ask would be Curt Vendel!! He did sell one apparently,maybe it was different i have no idea. Im a very big Atari collector,i have more important things to do than try and rip somebody off for measly $100 dollars,some of you guys are pathetic.

Buddy, you said it yourself, little is known about it. So little in fact that nobody can confirm what the hell it is. You seem to not even know anything about it, but you are getting mad because we want some authentication? Also, it is not the customers job to verify a product that you are selling, I can't believe you think we should be the ones hunting down the origins of this device. We aren't selling the thing.

Any value that Golden Lynx would have retained if it is a legitimate Atari paint job, is lost from the abuse that device seems to have taken. As a so-called big shot collector, you should then know that any work taken to repair that unit, and to return it's appearance and functions to it's original quality would make it unoriginal. You would be replacing the d-pad, and both back covers, all of which you would have to paint what looks like PMS 871 gold, but to get it to match you would have to repaint the entire Lynx, making any original paint job from Atari moot, at which point the unit is just a simple fan made custom (which it looks to be anyway).

I guess the biggest problem is the $100 starting bid. If that unit were so well known as an official Atari production, it should be able to ride on its own merits from a starting bid of $1.

Another point of concern, is why is this the only one we've ever seen? It has a serial number and all the normal labeling a production Lynx would have. If this was produced for a company in the UK, why is this the only unit? Atari would have produced more than one of these. A production Golden Lynx would have shown up here at Atari Age a hell of a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

i have just read and caught up on thread..

i looked at the item, and it does look like it's sprayed..

problem is... i am in the UK and used to work in silica shop. I don't remember this item in the shop, BUT.. i do vaguely remember something about a special edition gold lynx, i think it was bundled with a game, and may possibaly been a prize in a UK magazine.

Think there were 10 made, i say made. but in reality i do think they were just stock Lynx sprayed gold.

Probally not done at factory level, but rather just with Atari UK permission.

Again, this is only a vague memory, but i do remember something about a gold one with a certain game, to cellebrate the launch.

As for the D-pad being different?, it's the same as one of my British released ones

The gold one you can see has been openned, as screw damage below d-pad from wrong size screw or over tightening visable..

Maybe openned to spray?????.. who knows for sure, and i agree $100 dollors alot.

But... it has sold, so some berk, fell for it.

Good luck to free enterprise, and let buyer beware.

hi all,

i have just read and caught up on thread..

i looked at the item, and it does look like it's sprayed..

problem is... i am in the UK and used to work in silica shop. I don't remember this item in the shop, BUT.. i do vaguely remember something about a special edition gold lynx, i think it was bundled with a game, and may possibaly been a prize in a UK magazine.

Think there were 10 made, i say made. but in reality i do think they were just stock Lynx sprayed gold.

Probally not done at factory level, but rather just with Atari UK permission.

Again, this is only a vague memory, but i do remember something about a gold one with a certain game, to cellebrate the launch.

As for the D-pad being different?, it's the same as one of my British released ones

The gold one you can see has been openned, as screw damage below d-pad from wrong size screw or over tightening visable..

Maybe openned to spray?????.. who knows for sure, and i agree $100 dollors alot.

But... it has sold, so some berk, fell for it.

Good luck to free enterprise, and let buyer beware.

Wow, you used to work for Silica Shop? It was the best Atari shop in Tottenham Court Road, but once you crossed the street and started to sell Amiga computers I thought you were selling-out. What year did the shop close? And how long did you have the space in Selfridges for?

Buddy, you said it yourself, little is known about it. So little in fact that nobody can confirm what the hell it is. You seem to not even know anything about it, but you are getting mad because we want some authentication? Also, it is not the customers job to verify a product that you are selling, I can't believe you think we should be the ones hunting down the origins of this device. We aren't selling the thing.

Any value that Golden Lynx would have retained if it is a legitimate Atari paint job, is lost from the abuse that device seems to have taken. As a so-called big shot collector, you should then know that any work taken to repair that unit, and to return it's appearance and functions to it's original quality would make it unoriginal. You would be replacing the d-pad, and both back covers, all of which you would have to paint what looks like PMS 871 gold, but to get it to match you would have to repaint the entire Lynx, making any original paint job from Atari moot, at which point the unit is just a simple fan made custom (which it looks to be anyway).

I guess the biggest problem is the $100 starting bid. If that unit were so well known as an official Atari production, it should be able to ride on its own merits from a starting bid of $1.

Another point of concern, is why is this the only one we've ever seen? It has a serial number and all the normal labeling a production Lynx would have. If this was produced for a company in the UK, why is this the only unit? Atari would have produced more than one of these. A production Golden Lynx would have shown up here at Atari Age a hell of a long time ago.

Just want to say...

Companies produce "one-offs" all the time... Its not exactly beyond the realms of possibility that Atari UK did indeed ask a local company to paint one Lynx! I use to ask OEM's all the time to produce various samples, many of which would have been one of a kind items, most of which would have ended up in the dumpster if the project was shelved ;)

Also, I have seen a couple of these. Curt definately had one. He would know more about the authenticity. Is this the same unit, I don't know. I think SDL would have had access to such promotional items either directly from Atari UK or produced for SDL by SDL. SDL would have been a AAA client of Atari UK, and Dixons were partially owned by Atari through its shareholding for a time, so promo items could have been produced for these companies.

I have an original Gameboy with a Hard Rock Cafe logo on it... but its not gold :-(

Karl

Also, I have seen a couple of these. Curt definately had one. He would know more about the authenticity. Is this the same unit, I don't know.

Curt had one on eBay a few years back and I ended up with the high bid. He had it listed as a prototype or test run model not a retail or limited released unit. In the stages of development companies often experiment with case design and the one I bought from Curt does bear the markings of the other test units I have seen in the past. It is a non functional unit. Worthless to the gamer? Yes, but could be considered part of development picture to others.

I don't know anything about a UK released gold unit but if anyone really wants to know I guess we should ask Jay what he knows of this unit and where he got it from.

I posted these pics in the other thread (why are there more than 1?) and I'll repost them here. I do not believe this unit I purchased from Curt to be a fake but I can not vouch for or against the unit Buddy is selling as I don't have a clue.

This is the prototype or test unit I bought from Curt off of eBay.

MVC-010S-26.jpg

MVC-011S-27.jpg

• Like 1

Also, I have seen a couple of these. Curt definately had one. He would know more about the authenticity. Is this the same unit, I don't know.

Curt had one on eBay a few years back and I ended up with the high bid. He had it listed as a prototype or test run model not a retail or limited released unit. In the stages of development companies often experiment with case design and the one I bought from Curt does bear the markings of the other test units I have seen in the past. It is a non functional unit. Worthless to the gamer? Yes, but could be considered part of development picture to others.

I don't know anything about a UK released gold unit but if anyone really wants to know I guess we should ask Jay what he knows of this unit and where he got it from.

I posted these pics in the other thread (why are there more than 1?) and I'll repost them here. I do not believe this unit I purchased from Curt to be a fake but I can not vouch for or against the unit Buddy is selling as I don't have a clue.

This is the prototype or test unit I bought from Curt off of eBay.

MVC-010S-26.jpg

MVC-011S-27.jpg

Wow, this one look great.

Too bad it´s not working.

yeah after seeing that Lynx, with metallic paint, it makes me believe more than ever that the gold lynx auctioned in this thread was a fake.

If that one was faked it might have been inspired by this proto when it sold on ebay auction. Still if anyone is curious ask Jay what the deal is.