IGNORED

Who/Which was your favourite Pirate/Cracker in the 'bad old days'

I know it's probably naughty of me asking this...seeming as though there's quite a few programmers here (who don't want their s/w hacked)

Like the subject say's...Who was your fave. pirate/cracker

these are the ones i remember

Mr. Bacardi (i think he came from germany)

Spite, SSMB, John E, Alias Maximus (and probably Others) from AURA

Steve Zipp

Mole eater (I think he was from London)

And the legend that is ROB C (or what not was to ST/E fanboys)

BTW...Boot menu's were the beez kneez

Edited by carmel_andrews

For some reason, most 8-bit Atari cracked stuff didn't have intros or even a text displaying the cracker/group.

I guess Glenn the 5200 man was pretty well known - a lot of people would have been grateful for his releases.

I also remember the games modded with cheats, such as Bruce Lee with Immortal/Normal. But I'm not sure it had a name/group on it.

That's why those crack group's went to the ST...some of the menu's i've seen recently were damned good (whilst i did own an st/e back in the day, i wasn't mucho into it)

Sorry, forgot about Glenn/5200 man (i did have a few of his offerings)

Also someone called 'wizard'

John Sosta (who did a hack of (Omnimon) and later teamed up with Futureware (Sidewinder)

Is/Was Mike Langer (Mr Homesoft) a recent addition to the hacking fraternity....or was he well known way back when (perhaps our european friends can answer that one)

And one for our polish friends...How 'prolific' were/are Gumi and Krawco

Hmm, funny topic. :ahoy:

It's true that a lot of A8 cracked software didn't have intros, but I do remember some groups did like Piratec and Heist Brothers/Heist Network (look at AR:Dungeon for an example; use slow SIO if in emulator--IIRC, the Dungeon release even had a character resurrector on disk 1/side 2). :pirate:

I had an original copy of AR:Dungeon and I remember seeing that. IIRC, I believe it said "Ahoy, pirates: Change this byte from 0 to 1" or some such. So, out of curiosity I did that and it changed the into loader text message to one that looked like a cracking group had done it and the message along the lines of 'pirating software will kill development on the Atari, have a nice day' or somesuch. Of course, that didn't stop AR:Dungeon (or any of software that followed it for that matter) from being pirated. ;)

1987, went to UK with my A8 and C64, didn't have much cracked softs. i started to work for some firm in the UK, and one of the guys was a C64/fdd user. I said i was too, and he invited me round, saying we'd do some swaps. i said sure, i come round one evening, but man, in his room he had three 100-disk holders stuffed full with cracked C64 software, there must have been more than 100 disks in each box, I mean those boxes were overflowing, and on each disk like 2 or 3 or more titles, sid tunes, graphics, utilities etc...the lot. he just said to me, help yourself, take what you need, and bring it back when you copied them. I TOOK ALL THREE disk boxes back to my place. following day i went shopping for the cheapest blank disks I could find, and for the next week i was copying software to the hilt. good times.

Still got most of those disks packed up in the attic nowadays, but i cannot remember the names of the cracker teams. they did have nice intros, but soon intros got frowned upon, like...do we really need another 100KB scrolling text message in badly written English?.....

Edited by thomasholzer

I sorta know a guy who used to supply Glenn the 5200 man and Steve and Bruce with many of their games to crack. He had a local Computer/Video Rental shop and dealt heavily in pirated stuff. It would be interesting to talk to him and ask some questions about that stuff sometime.

Mr. Bacardi (it's right he comes from Germany and he is - more or less - still active)

SSMB (4 Guys from Hamburg/Germany, I know the "M" quite well - and he is a member of this board)

Homesoft (Fantastic his compilations.... I miss his BASIC compilations...can anybody help?)

kilroy NAPO, Piratec... these are the ones I remember mainly. I guess being in North America we had different crackers. The local pirate guy here had a connection with someone in the UK and would get menu disks with all the new stuff. We copied that like stuff like crazy. He had two happy drives so would make pretty fast copies of stuff. At one point he even had a photocopy machine and we copied the dox too. :)

1987, went to UK with my A8 and C64, didn't have much cracked softs. i started to work for some firm in the UK, and one of the guys was a C64/fdd user. I said i was too, and he invited me round, saying we'd do some swaps. i said sure, i come round one evening, but man, in his room he had three 100-disk holders stuffed full with cracked C64 software, there must have been more than 100 disks in each box, I mean those boxes were overflowing, and on each disk like 2 or 3 or more titles, sid tunes, graphics, utilities etc...the lot. he just said to me, help yourself, take what you need, and bring it back when you copied them. I TOOK ALL THREE disk boxes back to my place. following day i went shopping for the cheapest blank disks I could find, and for the next week i was copying software to the hilt. good times.

Still got most of those disks packed up in the attic nowadays, but i cannot remember the names of the cracker teams. they did have nice intros, but soon intros got frowned upon, like...do we really need another 100KB scrolling text message in badly written English?.....

C-64 for me seems like just about everything I had was cracked by EagleSoft

A-8bit - Glenn the 5200 man

Mine was the guy that lived up the road... I'd buy a game he didn't have, take it up to him, and then watch him crack it with a combo of Mac/65 and Allen Macroware's DiskWiz-II (unscrambled DiskWiz-II, by the way), then give me a copy of a game I didn't have and possibly even the crack he just did as well... It was kind of cool... Learned a lot of neat Atari tricks from that guy