• 1,857 posts
  • Stay Atari!

Posted Thu May 1, 2008 12:37 AM

From the "Polish-garden" the most active were:
- Clever People
- REMiX Soft Ltd.
- Gumi&Krawco Soft a.k.a. GKS.

Games with their cracks/trainers may be found for example on atari.online.pl

Also there was some number of cracks by TOMsoft & Tomasz Rolewski, but their cracks mainly appeared as freezed-ripped-something (but not always).

Edited by miker, Thu May 1, 2008 12:43 AM.

#27 Marco! OFFLINE  

Marco!

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Wed May 7, 2008 10:41 PM

In addition to the ones already mentioned (Glenn the 5200 man, Steve and Bruce, Kilroy etc.) I also remember a "CSS Copy Service Stuttgart" and there was a Yogi of Yellowstone BBS?

#28 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,664 posts

Posted Wed May 7, 2008 10:58 PM

I do believe there was a Yogi.

Come to think of it - back in the 1980s when BBS access was a rarity for most of us, the pirate software network was probably more effective than any chain-mail letter ever devised.

#29 joeventura OFFLINE  

joeventura

Moonsweeper

• 382 posts

Posted Thu May 8, 2008 9:18 AM

My favorite was.................me!!

:ahoy:

Pirates best friend was the Omnimon!

Remember the EA games that would not work when Omnimon was in memory?!?!? That was classic!!

#30 DjayBee OFFLINE  

DjayBee

Moonsweeper

• 294 posts

Posted Thu May 8, 2008 2:02 PM

Here in Germany: Nic + Mikel from CSS and Wolfhook

#31 Shamus OFFLINE  

Shamus

Dragonstomper

• 650 posts
  • Moo, er, Roar!

Posted Thu May 8, 2008 8:32 PM

Remember the EA games that would not work when Omnimon was in memory?!?!? That was classic!!

:pirate:

Ah yes, I remember that good 'ol (or bad 'ol, depending on you POV ;)) EA protection. That was a bitch and a half to remove and I didn't have Omnimon, either. :) I believe the trick there was that they were stuffing a value somewhere between $0000 and $0006 in memory and then doing a coldstart. Of course, jumping to COLDSV would wipe out all RAM, right? The trick there was that the coldstart routine would wipe out all RAM *except* for those first six or so bytes in memory! Really quite deviously clever. :twisted:

#32 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

River Patroller

• 2,129 posts

Posted Fri May 9, 2008 12:38 AM

Were some of the Activision games ripped by "Piratesoft" and even did the little rainbow next to the first letter? That was kinda funny, must have pissed of a few people at Activision.

Edited by peteym5, Fri May 9, 2008 12:39 AM.

#33 Shannon ONLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,791 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Fri May 9, 2008 1:14 AM

Glenn the 5200 man and Kilroy were the only ones I really remember. As was said earlier. A800 releases didn't really have crack-tro's like the C64 scene did. Oddly enough when the Amiga came around I didn't really pick up a a whole lot of "pirated" stuff like I did when I had an 800xl/130xe, etc.

#34 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,297 posts

Posted Fri May 9, 2008 3:10 PM

Wasn't Bloody coders Polish or German

They did Zero War amongst others

#35 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 3,219 posts
  • none

Posted Sat May 10, 2008 12:59 PM

Hi Guys
my favourite crackers were the guys from the "HCD" in germany.
greetings Walter

#36 urborg OFFLINE  

urborg

Chopper Commander

• 149 posts

Posted Sat May 10, 2008 1:36 PM

definitely Mr Bacardi, also Steve and Bruce, somebody called hedgehog, Gumi & Krawco

#37 miker OFFLINE  

miker

Stargunner

• 1,857 posts
  • Stay Atari!

Posted Sat May 10, 2008 2:14 PM

Wasn't Bloody coders Polish or German

They did Zero War amongst others

Yes, the were/are Polish.

Bloody Coders = Our 5oft, Waxsoft & their friends.

:)

#38 Mr.Bacardi OFFLINE  

Mr.Bacardi

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Sun May 11, 2008 1:36 AM

Greetinx to all my friends and former contacts - especially John E. & Spite Ripsoft (both A.U.R.A), Spider Man & B.K. (S.S.M.B.)
:D

I also remember some crackers from the Dutch scene like High Tech Team and "Steve Zipp" (was he from Netherlands ?) - they also did nice intros :)
"Lord of Darkness" did also some very nice intros ! :)

#39 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,297 posts

Posted Sun May 11, 2008 6:03 AM

Hello and good afternoon there Mr Bacardi....Nice to see such a 'Luminare' in these forums....why don't you invite some of your euro contacts...and perhaps the two legends themselves Rob C and Glenn, 5200 man

As for Miker...I've only seen one of Mr Rolewski's hacks,,,Gismo magic's 'Battleships', though i might have seen his name on a crack for one of the 'beach head' games

Edited by carmel_andrews, Sun May 11, 2008 6:06 AM.

#40 ijor OFFLINE  

ijor

River Patroller

• 2,034 posts

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:33 PM

Most of that kind of "stuff" I had in the old days came from the US, so the two most common names were Kilroy and Yogi. Both of them from NAPO, as I recall. They might be even both the same person.

Wasn't Yogi somehow active on the scene until not so long ago?

Also I remember a few months ago somebody joined this forum with some user id or signature suggesting he was a NAPO member.

#41 Noelio OFFLINE  

Noelio

Dragonstomper

• 500 posts

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:50 AM

"Steve and Bruce" - thanks for the Monte's Revenge! :)

#42 miker OFFLINE  

miker

Stargunner

• 1,857 posts
  • Stay Atari!

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:05 AM

On Beach Head I (file version) appears mysterious "K. Polak".

Just like on this pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• bh.png

#43 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** ***Moon Master*** *Blue Max:Class 4*

• 7,363 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:14 AM

Glen the 5200 man!!! :D

I used to love his crack of Space Dungeon and how it says at the beginning "Cracked to make up for the mismanagement of Atari". There was a while where the Atari 8-bit users felt the 5200 got all the good games since Atari would release them for the 5200 and leave the 8-bit machines in the dark. So Glen was the man!!

Beyond him, my dad, who figured out how to hardware hack the Atari computer, and figured out on his own how to hack cartridge games. I still have the copy of Qix that he cracked. I know Dad had a curiousity of his own, but I enjoy looking back and see how deep he got into the Atari hobby when I was firsrt into it. Even tinkered on a few things recently (he tried to assemble Cybernoid's ethernet cart and make a copy of the MyIde800, and other minor repairs and advice.)

Edited by doctorclu, Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:17 AM.

#44 foft OFFLINE  

foft

Dragonstomper

• 719 posts

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:43 PM

Has to be John E of AURA. Not to mention that TGR was great and it was also fun writing a demo for the Great British Demo...

#45 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,297 posts

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 PM

Hey Foft...I've got that demo on an A8 disk as well as some TGR mag disks

ACTomo (A member of AA) I understand had a hand in the demo as well

I think i still have John E's email addy somewhere

#46 Fres OFFLINE  

Fres

Dragonstomper

• 705 posts

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:37 PM

Yeah, Mr.Bacardi, Steve and Bruce, Glenn (of course), Yogi, and Kilroy.

Mostly, I like(d) software that was not altered as to give writing credit to the cracker, rather than the actual author.

Homesoft (Mike Langer) is often respectful of the original program, but those intros are so annoying, and the broken english, well "GREETINGS TO ALL HACKER ALL OVER THE WORLD." "YOU DO A GOOD JUSTICE," or "SOMEONE SENT US UP THE BOMB" or "ALL YOU BASE ARE" ... well, you know. Don't get me wrong, I respect homesoft, but, ... well wow!

I'm so glad that there was not much of an intro scene in the Atari 8-bit days. It's unbelievable how self indulgent those intro coders were. Cool, I guess, to some, but it was SOOOOO tiresome to read thru all those "GREETZ" to a bunch of largely egotistical social misfits who often made my jaw drop with their abilities to push a system well beyond its published cababilities with dazzling sights and sounds, and then to subject the viewer to an endless and witless "scrolly" of useless information. (My Run-On Sentence).

Finally, if you're still with me, are my VERY favorites who pirated Atari XL/XE programs and released them with complaints that the software library for the XL/XE was "ever dwindling" ... "uh, yeah?"

Just my 3 cent(s). Oh yeah, I wouldn't change any of it... Flame away.

#47 TheGreatPW OFFLINE  

TheGreatPW

Chopper Commander

• 155 posts

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:27 PM

Wow! I think just about everyone has been covered. The only other name I can remember was Dragonmaster who was on the pirated version of Broderbund Software's Karateka. Other than him or her, I cannot think of anyone else who has not already been covered on this list.

#48 FastRobPlus OFFLINE  

FastRobPlus

Stargunner

• 1,617 posts
  • TheBitPlanes.com

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:38 PM

On Beach Head I (file version) appears mysterious "K. Polak".

Just like on this pic.

Ah yes. I remember idiot kids trying to get support from us for titles like this.

#49 ClausB OFFLINE  

ClausB

Stargunner

• 1,491 posts

Posted Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:07 AM

Beyond him, my dad, who figured out how to hardware hack the Atari computer, and figured out on his own how to hack cartridge games.

I believe there were many more anonymous crackers, like the Doctor's Dad, than egomaniacal ones. It was a challenging thing to do, and you could still impress your local club buddies without an obnoxious intro screen.

#50 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 13,297 posts

Posted Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:20 AM

Rybag's sound's like he could have been a hacker back then....'cos of his knowledge of certain cassette/disk or cart protection systems

The same applies to some of our polish/German and eastern european/european AA members

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users