IGNORED

Who/Which was your favourite Pirate/Cracker in the 'bad old days'

Usually it was a XOR with a constant or a counter, being 255 ($FF) the most used constant other than zero (no XOR).

For constants, I developed an utility to search for a 3 characters substring from the credits that were displayed and allowed to edit that directly from the disk. It was called "BUSCADOR" and was written in Atari BASIC and then "compiled" with MMG BASIC Compiler.

buscador-1.png . buscador-4.png

The XEX is downloadable from my site: http://www.vitoco.cl/buscador/buscador.xex

which game has XOR encryption ?

(related to text changer).

Atari specific? No clue, I was born in 85. In general, John Draper. I've been interacting with Captain Crunch for 6 or 7 years now and, despite his health issues, he's still an awesome dude (although sometimes I wonder if anyone is home or if the lights are just on).

When Hackers came out in 1995 we already had a Windows 95 machine at home and had been using 3.11 at my friend's house for a year or so before that. We were all over http BBS and MUDs but Hackers introduced a few 10 year old kids to an entirely different world of computers. We began scouring the internet with Infoseek and AltaVista and began finding all sorts of hacker-cracker-phreaker related stuff from the 80's and early 90's and began to devour everything and experiment any way we could. We may or may not have found ways to still exploit some payphones and may or may not have been social engineering a good number of people largely through digital communication. Captain Crunch and Jolly Roger were these mythical figures that we'd hear of time and time again and looked up to. We also discovered folks like Abbie Hoffman and Frank Abagnale Jr and would use anything we could gleam from their histories, or those that followed in their footsteps, to benefit ourselves. Hypothetically.

These days I'm most like "eh, is there an app for that or some service I can pay for" and "where's my credit card so I can pay for this service so I can watch Monty Python because I can't be asked to get up and go to my computer and pirate the stuff". Hell I don't even jailbreak or root my phones anymore, it always ends up being a hassle down the line for some sort of functionality and I just want my devices to work more oft than not haha.

• Like 2

which game has XOR encryption ?

(related to text changer).

As I couldn't recall, I had to pick up my orange copybook and seek through my old notes. This is what I've found:

- Most of the times, the XOR "encryption" was mainly included by pirates/crackers to protect their modified version, not by game developers.

- Probably none or few ROM games used XOR to hide messages to be displayed on screen, as that could be directly hardcoded with their respective display lists.

- XOR encryption could also be found in boot loaders to "protect" the whole game that is being loaded as binary data, not just in text messages contained in the original XEX. Some of them used constants in the XOR operator, some used a counter as operand and some used "random" data as a pattern to decode disk sectors just after read.

I'm not sure for any of the following titles if it had a XOR protection added by a cracker or it was an original one, but some games I've found so far in my notes are:

Laser Gates

Pathfinder

Ghost Chaser

Karateka

Beach Head

Lode Runner's Rescue

Gremlins

• Like 1

- XOR encryption could also be found in boot loaders to "protect" the whole game that is being loaded as binary data, not just in text messages contained in the original XEX. Some of them used constants in the XOR operator, some used a counter as operand and some used "random" data as a pattern to decode disk sectors just after read.

One example is International Karate that used XOR encoding for the "disk copy protection" code. I believe it used a counter for the XOR value but my memory is vague about that.

Robert

• 1 month later...

North Atlantic Pirate Organisation ?

Is that 'wild' guessing or can it be 100% confirmed from some source? :)

No. North Atlantic Pirate Organisation is correct. I remember that Kilroy was member of NAPO. Cool cracks.

Funny, he calculated the memory start address of the game to load after his intro using the checksum of his own intro-text. Changing his intro text would obviously crash the game.

The HTT Big demo used Xor or Eor-ing the system font for encrypting the text:

LDA text

XOR/EOR sysfont

STA screen

• Like 3

No. North Atlantic Pirate Organisation is correct. I remember that Kilroy was member of NAPO. Cool cracks.

Funny, he calculated the memory start address of the game to load after his intro using the checksum of his own intro-text. Changing his intro text would obviously crash the game.

LDA text

XOR/EOR sysfont

STA screen

Hey Steve :) Well I thought It might also be "North Amercian" instead of Atlantic? Did you find any of their releases where it states 'Atlantic' ?

Hey Steve :) Well I thought It might also be "North Amercian" instead of Atlantic? Did you find any of their releases where it states 'Atlantic' ?

Imho, it's like NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organization, so in this case: North Atlantic Pirate Organization. That's what I can recall. Needs some google- or youtubing to confirm :)

Edited by SteveZipp

It's like NATO - North Atlantic Treaty Organization, so in this case: North Atlantic Pirate Organization. That's what I can recall. Needs some google- or youtubing to confirm :)

Well google did not give any results and I have checked all of their cracks I could find... nothing gave any clue that's why I was asking here.

You can read "Kilroy was here" all around the world, so it looks like he is everywhere - he was even on a Styx album... ;-)

Yep. The Styx album which began the death of the band. They should have just named the album "Dennis De Young's Ego." It would have been more applicable.

LDA text

XOR/EOR sysfont

STA screen

I had to crack the Big Demo because it didnt run on my Atari 600XL with 1064 memory expansion. Because my 600XL had a difrent ROm the decoding of the Big Demo ended in gargabe. Anhow, my 600XL version didnt work on standard atari's either , after i had my own Big Demo version. hehe.

I never knew about or obtained any cracked software until the early 90's when I answered an ad for "PD" in the back of one of the last Atari magazines. It was a guy in New York City by the name of Sid Meyer(s) (the sim-city programmer?). I got a catalog from him with 100's of commercial titles on it, most from England and Europe that I'd never heard of as they were never commercially released in the states. An entirely new world of software opened up to me. I ordered tons of disks from him, though at the time, only about half of the games would work right, being PAL and me with an NTSC.

In any case, I never had a "favorite" hacker/cracker and until that time I didn't own a single pirated bit of software. Not that I was a goody-two-shoes back in the 80's, if I couldn't afford to buy a new game, I just shop-lifted it. :-o Luckily that was just adolescents and I grew out of it decades ago, and am no longer a thief. Even if I had known about cracked software at the time, I always preferred the real thing with real boxes/manuals/etc., so I would have just used the old five-finger-discount at the local software shop anyway.

Even today, though I've downloaded everything Atari 8-bit under the sun, for games I like, I still try and obtain the originals off eBay, etc. And even home-brew releases that are free to download, I will purchase professionally packaged versions if made available. I really don't like the cracker menus and intros as all. If I want to see stuff like that, I'll load up a demo.

That all being said, I do use cracks by Mr. Bacardi and Glenn the 5200 man a lot, at least until I track down the original complete games.

Edited by Gunstar

I had to crack the Big Demo because it didnt run on my Atari 600XL with 1064 memory expansion. Because my 600XL had a difrent ROm the decoding of the Big Demo ended in gargabe. Anhow, my 600XL version didnt work on standard atari's either , after i had my own Big Demo version. hehe.

It even hasn't run properly my my XEGS with its original ROM.

Back in tha day I wondered what was broken - my comp or the demo. At the same time it ran on 800XE of my friend... Now I know, hehe. Anyway decoding using ROM was somehow stupid.

.P

• Like 1

What the hell happened to Carmel? It says he was last active on October 16, 2013?!?!

Did he die or something?

Dunno, he just vanished...Always known for saying odd stuff..

I remember on a thread where I was talking about Noel Daniel, him of Thunderfox and Sidewinder by Futureware, well Carmel chimed in and said he was Noel's partner ie in a gay way......Twaddle?, I don't know, he did as I did know Noel and frequented Silica in Tottenham court road. I knew Noel and Futureware from reviewing their game Sidewinder for Atari User (nice guys as well)

Hope he's ok but was prone to making completely false statements...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Well google did not give any results and I have checked all of their cracks I could find... nothing gave any clue that's why I was asking here.

I remember seeing at least one loader screen that had it spelled out, so proof is out there. I can't say 100% that it was North Atlantic Pirate Org, though.

Dunno, he just vanished...Always known for saying odd stuff..

Most annoying was when he'd come into page 12 of a discussion and post something irrelevant and off the cuff without reading any of the thread. Seemed like he might have some kind of disorder. I also often wondered if he was a 2nd account of someone else here.

I do hope he's okay, though.

• Like 1

Who knows, apart from the weird and untrue 'facts' he posted he was ok, I have to thank him for pointing me to Altirra's first public release and we would joke about him being from central London and me being from the outer regions of London as a 'class divide' but he seemed to have some issues, as a person who suffers from severe depression and stress related mental health issues part of me feels sorry for him but no one was putting a gun to his head to make him posts those weird almost attention seeking lies about things?

He just brushed people the wrong way at times and took stick for it..

Edited by Mclaneinc