IGNORED

How to fix an Atari 5200 controller

atari2600land

Anyone know how to do this? I just got my first games. The system I bought at Value Village works fine, but the two controllers do not. On one of them I had to press the Start button with scissors to make it start. The fire buttons don't seem to work, so the only game I thoroughly tested was Pac-Man.

Anyone know how to do this? I just got my first games. The system I bought at Value Village works fine, but the two controllers do not. On one of them I had to press the Start button with scissors to make it start. The fire buttons don't seem to work, so the only game I thoroughly tested was Pac-Man.

you can buy parts from best electronics. or you can try to open up the controllers and clean the button contacts with a pencil eraser. always works for me

Some times the flex circuits need replaced. Also the buttons get worn down. Try placing a folded piece of aluminum foil under the top buttons but under the flex circuit. It lifts it a little and helps. It did for me. Otherwise if you decide to replace the flex circuits. Here are a couple of options. It's really not very hard to do.

This one is the best.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GOLD-REV-9-FLEX-CI...VQQcmdZViewItem

This one works good too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ATARI-5200-CONTROL...VQQcmdZViewItem

Edited by ninermaniac

Who'dve thunk TWO controllers were broken? I need to find someone who has a working one.

On a 5200, the question is usually, who would have thought any controllers would be working. :)

Just cleaning them will usually get you by for a short while most of the time though.

Some times the flex circuits need replaced. Also the buttons get worn down. Try placing a folded piece of aluminum foil under the top buttons but under the flex circuit. It lifts it a little and helps. It did for me. Otherwise if you decide to replace the flex circuits. Here are a couple of options. It's really not very hard to do.

This one is the best.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GOLD-REV-9-FLEX-CI...VQQcmdZViewItem

This one works good too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ATARI-5200-CONTROL...VQQcmdZViewItem

Believe me. These will probably get you by for a long time. ;)

Gluing aluminum foil to those tiny black contacts works for me.

But know this- You must be VERY careful when taking apart and closing up these things. Move slowly, and don't take any short cuts. These controllers are notoriously fragile and easily broken, because of the stupid plastic "circuitry tape" they use. I've managed to solder it, but man, it's easier stealing a steak from a starving wolverine.

The Angry Gaming Nerd was 100% on target about the 5200 controllers.

Gluing aluminum foil to those tiny black contacts works for me.

But know this- You must be VERY careful when taking apart and closing up these things. Move slowly, and don't take any short cuts. These controllers are notoriously fragile and easily broken, because of the stupid plastic "circuitry tape" they use. I've managed to solder it, but man, it's easier stealing a steak from a starving wolverine.

The Angry Gaming Nerd was 100% on target about the 5200 controllers.

I also use the glue and foil trick on mine. It seems to hold up pretty well if you use the right glue. i use crazy glue