IGNORED

Juno First - Final Version (Atari 2600)

cd-w

Richard H. > Retro Gamer doesn't mention the AtariVox support, but ReVival #40 yes (see page 36 of this issue). Please note that this issue, #40, is available for FREE! See below in my signature! :)

And sure Juno First is a great game for the VCS 2600, all homebrewers have to play it! Could be fantastic to have an original sequel! Keep up the good work Chris!

• 6 months later...

This game is incredible. I keep a "short list" of my all time favorites for the 2600 (10-12 games), and while there are many great homebrews 'out there,' there are no homebrews in MY list. I've played this game a number of times over the past few years, and I think I'm finally convinced that it belongs in the conversation as one of the greatest games ever made for 2600.

The fact that this thread has spent a bit of time discussing its similarities with the arcade version is evidence of its high quality.

I think what is most striking about the game is the speed and the ease of which the screen can scroll up and down. I was shocked when I first discovered I could go "backwards" and enemies I had past were still there. Perhaps I am easily impressed but that feature kind of blew me away.

All this and I've never even tried to save my high score or hear the Vox sounds . . .

Do you have a donations page?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried this today and found that the save function works on my Savekey, but not on my Atarivox. The game tells me that Savekey is found, but the score will not save. My Atarivox is an earlier model - before they came with a shell. Does anyone know if something changed later in development of the AtariVox that might make the save function incompatible with older models?

I remember that some early AtariVoxes has a faulty EEPROM chip: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/100695-faulty-atarivoxes/

Since the EEPROM is where the scores are saved, that is probably the problem.

Chris

Oh yeah, so it was the EEPROM issue why we sent our Atarivox's in? Not a firmware update. No wonder I couldn't find anything on -that- topic. :ponder:

• 1 year later...

Thanks - I'm glad you are enjoying my game.

I don't have a donations page, but you are always welcome to buy additional copies from the store: http://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=894

Chris

Love this game. Just about to order a copy for my collection. Stupid question time, I'm in the UK so do I order the PAL option?

NTSC PAL60

Love this game. Just about to order a copy for my collection. Stupid question time, I'm in the UK so do I order the PAL option?

NTSC PAL60

Yes, PAL60 is the one that you will want for the UK.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by cd-w

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I ordered this game, with a box, last week. Hopefully it will arrive after the weekend :)

I have the arcade version on a 60 in 1 jammaboard, and it´s one of my favorites of all time.

This version looks even more awesome, and I can´t wait to finally give it a try.

This, and Ladybug, is the first Homebrew games I have ever bought for my 2600, and the first NEW games I bought for it in almost 30 years :D

Feels like Christmas!! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Question about this game on emulation:

I've been playing this game on Stella and had AtariVox in the "controller port 2" and selected stereo under "game properties > cartridge" and plugged in earphones, yet I can't seem to get any of the synthesized speech? (the saving score part works)

Edited by Tangentg

Question about this game on emulation:

I've been playing this game on Stella and had AtariVox in the "controller port 2" and selected stereo under "game properties > cartridge" and plugged in earphones, yet I can't seem to get any of the synthesized speech? (the saving score part works)

Do you have an actual AtariVox plugged into the computer? Stella doesn't emulate the sound chip - only the high score saving.

You need something like this to adapt the AtariVox to USB:

avox_usb.jpg

I don't know if Richard still sells them, or if there are other options that would work.

Edited by Nathan Strum