IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 35: Fall Down

Ze_ro

A bit bitter. 132.

Did this game come with a manual?

What the hell did I do with mine?

Can someone fill in what the powerups do?

1 = speed

2 = dig hole

3 = super speed

4 = change places? (is this even useful in the one player game?)

Anyway that's the best I can figure out

post-1544-1210427539_thumb.jpg

A bit bitter. 132.

Did this game come with a manual?

What the hell did I do with mine?

Can someone fill in what the powerups do?

1 = speed

2 = dig hole

3 = super speed

4 = change places? (is this even useful in the one player game?)

Anyway that's the best I can figure out

post-1544-1210427539_thumb.jpg

1. = speed

2. = hole

3. = speed for a longer duration

4. = transport to bottom level = death, in a situation where you really need it

it should work instantly and doesn't!!!!

jumping and the 4 power-up options are pointless, they do you

more harm than good, just my opinion

It took a bit longer than 2 minutes this time... 5 straight hours of non-stop gaming this morning to be exact. :)

Right before this game I had games of 138, 140, and 141 using the strategy described below. Your mileage may very.

Today, I decided to try a different strategy. Instead of trying to use speed bursts at 120 and above, I decided to try teleporting and cutting holes in the floor. The trick is anticipating when you'll need them. On the faster levels the speed bursts are not enough to get you through some tough spots. Deteacher's score is AMAZING considering that he just used speed bursts. The man has skill.

For this game I had ~130 points and 4 power-ups. Just before I was about to pick up another one I hit the button to activate the teleporter. You have to keep moving and falling through holes while waiting to teleport. This got me to a fairly easy stretch and I was able to pick up another power-up. I have 2 now and ~140 points. As I'm falling from the middle of one platform to another with an opening at an end, I pressed the button again, to cut a hole in the next platform while I'm still in mid-air. This got me to another easy stretch where the holes in 5 or 6 consecutive platforms lined up. Very lucky!

Anyway good luck fellas, this might do it for me! If someone beats this, they deserve to win!

post-17553-1210437511_thumb.png

Awesome!!! :-o

and here I was just saying the teleporter was crap :P

Thanks!

The teleporter is crap. You have to use it when you DON'T need it. If you wait until you do, it's too late. If you've gone through a long easy stretch, you can probably anticipate a tough stretch coming up. I might not have even used it when I did if I wasn't about to pick up another pellet.

It took a bit longer than 2 minutes this time... 5 straight hours of non-stop gaming this morning to be exact. :)

Right before this game I had games of 138, 140, and 141 using the strategy described below. Your mileage may very.

Today, I decided to try a different strategy. Instead of trying to use speed bursts at 120 and above, I decided to try teleporting and cutting holes in the floor. The trick is anticipating when you'll need them. On the faster levels the speed bursts are not enough to get you through some tough spots. Deteacher's score is AMAZING considering that he just used speed bursts. The man has skill.

For this game I had ~130 points and 4 power-ups. Just before I was about to pick up another one I hit the button to activate the teleporter. You have to keep moving and falling through holes while waiting to teleport. This got me to a fairly easy stretch and I was able to pick up another power-up. I have 2 now and ~140 points. As I'm falling from the middle of one platform to another with an opening at an end, I pressed the button again, to cut a hole in the next platform while I'm still in mid-air. This got me to another easy stretch where the holes in 5 or 6 consecutive platforms lined up. Very lucky!

Anyway good luck fellas, this might do it for me! If someone beats this, they deserve to win!

WOW!!! Way to go, Mac! Thank you for letting me have the lead for a little longer this time. :D That's quite a score! I don't know if I'll be able to top that one. I tip my hat to you, sir! :)

Well, I'm stuck at 141 for a high.

After a certain point you need serious luck

The game seems to create situations where no matter what you will die.

That's a bit of a bummer because I think the dificulty should max when it gets to the point where it only SEEMS impossible but if you do the right thing you are able to play indefinitely.

WOW!!! You broke 150?!?!

I'm gonna keep trying myself too. ;)

I think this game is very fun and addictive, but if a Fall Down 1.1 (or 2.0) is ever made the following is what I would suggest.

1) Make the "jump" process quicker. Right now it seems if you jump then it takes too long to actually complete the jump before you are rolled off the screen (except on the initial very slow levels).

2) Add +1 point whenever the power-ups are rolled from 4 back down to 1. This would be great as it would encourage and reward going after them. As a point of strategy the player would have to balance the fact of using them vs. achieving the small boost in points. Furthermore, this would make the 4 power-up level not useless in single player mode, because the player has to get to 4 before rolling it back to one. The 4 is useful in 2-palyer mode however, IF it happens fast enough.

3) Make the Switch power-up (Level 4) happen a bit faster. Right now it takes soooo long to activate that I usually roll off the screen and die before I can complete the switch.

4) Make the Hole power-up (Level 2) create a slightly larger hole. Right now, often times, when I activate a hole I have to move around and try to find it. It seems like the created hole should be big enough such that you always fall through even if you were running at top speed.

5) Make the difficulty (speed of levels) increase very slowly after becoming super hard. By super-hard I mean after wave ~130-140, however, with the above changes the "super-hard" point may occur later. I am undecided if I think the difficulty should actually max-out vs. increase very slowly. The problem with a max difficulty level is the ability to play it forever. The game could then go from a few minutes to a several hour experience. :ponder:

Anybody have any other thoughts? Should we shoot Aaron Curtis (creator) an e-mail? This game could go from addictivly fun to one where I lose sleep over. :)

WOW!!! Way to go, Mac! Thank you for letting me have the lead for a little longer this time. :D That's quite a score! I don't know if I'll be able to top that one. I tip my hat to you, sir! :)

WOW!!! You broke 150?!?!

I'm gonna keep trying myself too. ;)

Thanks, guys! Without quite a bit of luck, this would have been just another 130-140 game. :)

Good luck! (a necessity in this game)

I think this game is very fun and addictive, but if a Fall Down 1.1 (or 2.0) is ever made the following is what I would suggest.

1) Make the "jump" process quicker. Right now it seems if you jump then it takes too long to actually complete the jump before you are rolled off the screen (except on the initial very slow levels).

2) Add +1 point whenever the power-ups are rolled from 4 back down to 1. This would be great as it would encourage and reward going after them. As a point of strategy the player would have to balance the fact of using them vs. achieving the small boost in points. Furthermore, this would make the 4 power-up level not useless in single player mode, because the player has to get to 4 before rolling it back to one. The 4 is useful in 2-palyer mode however, IF it happens fast enough.

5) Make the difficulty (speed of levels) increase very slowly after becoming super hard. By super-hard I mean after wave ~130-140, however, with the above changes the "super-hard" point may occur later. I am undecided if I think the difficulty should actually max-out vs. increase very slowly. The problem with a max difficulty level is the ability to play it forever. The game could then go from a few minutes to a several hour experience. :ponder:

Anybody have any other thoughts? Should we shoot Aaron Curtis (creator) an e-mail? This game could go from addictivly fun to one where I lose sleep over. :)

I had the exact same thought about getting a point for rolling the power-ups.

I definitely think the difficulty should max. That would make the game more of a mental challenge with the possibility of actually improving. Currently, we're all hitting a wall in about the same place.

I agree, the jumping in this game is useless. I've always liked the jumping physics in Super Mario Brothers. Maybe with improved jumping some of the power-ups could be suspended in the air?

Jumping isn't useless because it lets cross the gaps to get powerups. And it lets you mess with or avoid the other player. But at the higher levels it's impossible and unnecessary with just one player.

If you just tap the stick up a bit, you can float over the gaps without really leaving the ground.