IGNORED

A7800x

A7800x v5 for the Xbox Released!  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which xbox emu should I work on next?

• Z26x (2600)
    • Mednafen (Lynx)
    • WinstonX (Atari ST)
    • OdysseyX
    • BlissX (Intellivision)
    • KegsX (Apple II)
    • AdamX (Colecovision)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Note: For all intents and purposes I'm done with this thing so it's time to start a poll. I already have big plans in progress for Z26. So even though I would rather not do it next (because those big plans are gonna take some time) I included it in the poll anyways.

Here is the changelog for the release (hopefully I got everything).

First off...

------------------

Special thanks....

------------------

X-port for porting a great collection of emu's over to the xbox, releasing the source code, and answering my stupid questions.

The beta testers - NE146, mimo, run088. I know you all are busy but thanks for the support and input.

Atariage (Albert) - For providing a place for my beta testing thread.

Makers of the prosystem emu. Maybe someday I'll have time to port it over to the xbox.

Curt Vendel for providing the source code to Desert Falcon and Dan Boris for reading the schematics and confirming the button behavior of proline joysticks.

Nobody for nothing ( Just checking to see if people are reading this. ;) ) :lol:

Comments of support from various interested parties.

If I missed anybody shoot me an email and I'll update this file.

--------------

what's new:

--------------

**** Mess core related changes ****

ROMS loaded via Samba/Relax now work properly.

Fixed fast forward so you can actually see what is happening. All it really does is set frameskip to 9. Anything higher causes display issues. I'm hoping to find a better way than frameskipping for fastforward.

Fixed rewind so it doesn't crash the emu on gameload. Seems mess doesn't like to do savestates while it is still "initializing". :lol:

Pallette defaults to "Mess New" since this seems to be the best one.

Added mappings for joystick 2 directionals so those interested in dual analog Robotron can do some. You can even map the analog sticks to the joysticks!! Just be sure to unmap the volume controls for the music/emulator. :lol:

Made the "pause" button mappable, for those few games that use it.

Prosystem Database compatibility! The emu scans the DB and if it finds a match it overrides the header settings. If the ROM has no header AND is not in the database the user has the option to set the parameters themselves. I added pretty much every homebrew/prototype that I know of.

New configuration options for headerless ROMS not in the Prosystem Database. Cart Type, Region, and Pokey (yes/no). The only catch, though, is it can LOCK your xbox if you pick the wrong cartridge type. For homebrews "Normal Cart" and selecting Pokey (yes/no) should do the trick. Prototypes are a different story.

Added the ability to "add" a cartridge to the Prosystem Database. (for sharing and simplicity).

High Score Cart now supported! Go and record your highscore in HSC compatible games. Just too name a few Beef Drop, Pacman Collection, Centipede, Asteroids, Dig Dug. Although I wouldn't recommend using Centipede to "config" your HSC save.

Fixed a small little bug in the memory checking of the normal cheat code system. (non atari).

Cheats are disabled on game load. Seems having them on can cause the Atari logo to cycle endlessly. :lol: This is only done with A7800.

Games that use two buttons now work properly. Buttons one and two were mapped backwards (in mess) so I fixed that. So in "Dark Chambers" you can now use bombs, "Desert Falcon" you can use special items, and Hyperspace now works when you press button two in "Asteroids (and hacks)". Just to name a few. Thanks to Curt Vendel for providing the source code to Desert Falcon and Dan Boris for reading the schematics and confirming the behavior.

Corrected let/right button mappings. Seems MESS had the left/right buttons mapped backwards. I always suspected this by how Commando played.

-------------------------------------------

**** Interface related changes ****

-------------------------------------------

Fixed a small little bug where the emu would respond to "Virtual Keyboard" buttons assignnments for systems that do not have a keyboard defined. :lol:

Displays a message when you change the difficulty level on switch A or B.

--------------------------------------------

**** Carryovers from Atarixlbox ****

--------------------------------------------

- Ability to pick a file from within a zip file. Turns out this functionality was already in commonfuncs as a conditional compile. :lol:

- Recording time doubled.

- Fixed a few interface "quirks" regarding playing game sounds while emu is paused.

- select save state screen tells you whether your "loading" or "saving", it also now displays whether a save file has a record session ( R ) associated with it.

- When a new save state is created it deletes any recordings. If you press the "back" button while in the save state select screen it will allow you to delete that save state (as well as it's recording).

- Utilities menu display modifed to state "stop or start recording/playback" depending on whether they are turned on or off. It also displays total minutes remaining or played so far.

- Record/Playback turn off when exiting a game. Boy that sure caused some confusion. :lol:

- Switched positioning control of sprites in the skin menu to the left analog stick, that way you don't have to worry about unintentionally lowering the volume.

- Savestate load screen is a little more informational when sent to it from the save/record option.

- When you save a picture it removes the screenshot save path making it easier to see long names.

- Changed order of some of the entries in the "Music Control Menu".

- Playlist repeat mode, and View Name setting is saved in INI file. Although song name only shows in the music control menu.

- When "adding a code" from the "edit code" screen the current code is copied as a template. You can activate/deactivate a code from the "cheat code list" menu by pressing start.

- Deleting a code now asks you if you are sure (I got tired of accidently deleting my codes :lol: ).

- Fixed up the problem created from using multiple files in a Zip file.

- Fixed problem when a filename inside a zip contains too many characters. While I was at it I fixed the space as the last character when trimming to 42 characters behavior. Zip files where the path was saved now unzip correctly.

- Rewind and Fastforward are de-activated during record/playback and netplay mode. It even tells you so when you try!!

- Modified YesNoMenu so it doesn't clear m_menuText.

- Added ability to add in cheat codes from a Gameshark compatible database (see description below). This includes the ability to export the cheat codes in a game to "share" with your friends. Cheat/rumble codes are included for most 7800 games. When "adding" codes from the gameshark DB it will move you to the entries with a matching CRC. If not you'll have to manually find the game (sorry, only one CRC per game).

Edited by Shannon

---------------------------

**** Know Issues ****

---------------------------

Save states can bork your HSC scores if they are old enough and you load them, so be careful when using them in HSC compatible games.

----------------------------------------------

**** To do (the feature creep list) ****

----------------------------------------------

I dont really like the way fast forward is implemented but it looks like MESS is running pretty close to the limit on speed so I'm not sure if I can do something different. Sound actually gets funky when rewind is active and in DEBUG mode.

Make it so a7800x can read the prosystem database for ".bin" support. *done*

Gameshark support (like I have in Atarixlbox). *done*

Reverse the default left/right difficulty switches (if possible) so games like TowerToppler will be playable automatically. *done*

------------------------

**** Wish List ****

------------------------

I'm gonna take a crack at porting over the prosystem emulator, but to be honest I figure the chances of success (on my part) may be a little low. Considering I've never attempted anything like this. Only time will tell.

Edited by Shannon

Well I got the "pause" key mapped. Although the way I did it is not my preferred way but unfortunately the keyboard code stuff is pretty neutered which also may make it more difficult to port over other "console/computer" systems used in mess. I'll have to see. Who knows... as I become more familar with the code I may be able to patch it. I thought the A800 keycode stuff was wonkey. :lol:

I'm also considering doing the "reset" key as well. Not sure how many games wont let the user "exit" out, so to speak without hitting reset..

I'm confused. Can't you just press down on the right analog stick, pick "exit game", and it will take you back to the ROM select screen? Or am I missing what you are saying? :)

I think I figured out what the problem is with the save states, thought of it while trying to sleep today. :lol:

What is everyones thoughts concerning the palettes? It seems kinda silly to have 6 different palettes to choose from. Is the on from prosystem good enough? Should I keep them all and make the prosystem palette default? Or just use the prosystem palette?

Edited by Shannon

Well since I have not heard any suggestions concerning the palette. I just went ahead and added the prosystem palette as one of the (now 7) options. :lol: It is currently set to default to the prosystem palette.

I figured out what was happening with the save states. Apparently MESS only queues up one save/load state request at a time so when rewind is enabled it was overriding when the user saved a state. :lol: So I just put in a little check to make sure that don't happen. :D

Hmm was just trying the pac-man collection with the prosystem palette and Inky is looking a little green. :lol:

I changed my mind about the prosystem palette. I think I'm gonna remove it and just have it default to the "new stella palette" since that one seems to be the closest.

Edited by Shannon

Any help needed let me know.I have a network system setup in my home with 5 rooms with 5 networked xboxes all are tsoped some have banked switches to provide easy on the fly changes for bios for testing if anything is needed for testing there.One I upgraded the ram in so any testing on a 128mg system I can do to if needed.If size is needed I have one xbox with a 750gig hhd and another with a 500gig.However I am sorry to say I can help in no way with the code or anything like that unless directed because I don't understand it yet.That being said this is what I have to offer as far as testing and I have some spare time to offer to help.

I was wondering about the palettes you were talking about or what games you tested it on?I looked at a game and cycled threw the different palettes to see if I seen any differences.Rampage was the game I selected.On this game the standard setting of mess-ntsc was the only one to have a black background which I will assume to be the closest to the original would it not?I have not seen it on a 7800.The rest while looking good with a variety of gray backgrounds did not look so sharp.I have my emulator set at 720x480 and the screen set at x=17 y=8.

Well the two biggest I know of is the background of the opening screen of rampage is supposed to be sky-blue (not green), and the Junkyard Dog background is supposed to be different as well. There are others, but these are the two main ones.

Just released dual stick robotron might not work so hot when there is only one digi pad on an xbox controller. :lol:

Edited by Shannon

Not the sky it seems to stay blue I'm talking about the shadows behind the buildings and below the sky.Atleast on this game I cant speak for all games I have not tested them but this game seems to look better in the mess-ntsc than any other palettes.I will test the other game listed and try to give you some feedback on it.

oh ok. I'm just trying to figure out which palette is considered the most accurate compared to a real 7800. Just so I can make that palette the default one. But the user would still be able to select the other ones if they "prefer" that one over the default.

As I have found. Palettes are a very subjective thing it seems... :)

Just released dual stick robotron might not work so hot when there is only one digi pad on an xbox controller. :lol:

Could the X,Y,A,B buttons be mapped to be the second digital controller? obviously other functions would need to be deactivated to avoid and button conflict.

Or maybe enable use of a second controller and I will build myself a two stick arcade controller for my xbox :D

After thinking about it what you said should be relatively easy considering how the "keyboard handler", for a lack of a better term, works.

I will basically be making the 2nd stick "mappable" to the buttons by the user. They can set it up that way in the controller configuration screen easily!! :D

If you dont like the right thumb menu screen change it on your emulator manually to some other 2 button action so it will not hinder your game play.This is not something I would recommend to change on the emulator but something the individual should change manually themselves which can be done easy.If you change the way the default config for the buttons are then it will only make since to do the same thing to every last other xport emulator or people will get confused on how to work it.

Who me? Do that? ;) Nah I try to make everything as transparent as I can for those very reasons. You should have seen some of the crazy requests over in the "what do you want added to mednafen NES" thread. :lol: Stuff that would really mess up the consistency of X-port emulators.

But thanks for the concern. Alot of people told me screw the consistency. :lol:

Edited by Shannon

I went back and read that thread.I forgot about it but i liked the idea of the idiot mode.If the system is set up where its so user friendly that you cant mess it up if you turn a six year old loose on it and still have the option to go in and make the tweaks you wanted this would be good for everybody. I can not see the downside unless it would affect performance.Alot of the other stuff in that thread was exactly as described and makes me wonder about what goes threw some peoples heads.I even saw where I posted jumping on some dude for bashing someone else work.I saw that same dude in atleast 5 threads bash him then bashed him again after he said he was sorry in another thread the day before.

Did you ever get a chance to look and see if you could get the emulator to use screenshots or saves in a relaxed or samba share?

Edited by run088

Sorry. Have not had a chance to really mess (pun intended) with A7800x this past week. Just life in general getting in the way, although I was sorely tempted to fool around with it on Thursday and at least get it to compile with all the changes I made to commonfuncs.cpp for Atarixlbox. I think I may have to set rewind to skip every so many frames cause even in release mode the sound in some games gets a little funky (scratchy). It goes away when you enter the menu and then come back, but doing that all the time can be irritating.

Outside of that my one PC I debug off of has been acting kinda wonkey with the network for some reason and the other one received a nasty little adware virus over the weekend (most likely caused by my other half). :lol: Meanwhile my lawn has taken over the yard and it's gonna be a busy week at work this weekend so I probably wont be able to toy with it until monday.

As for an idiot mode I have not given it much thought since it was brought up. Due to the way x-port creates and handles each menu it makes it difficult to just make an option "invisible" and it would require a fair amount of recoding and LOTS of testing. Someone with far more time on their hands would have to do something like that..

Edited by Shannon

Idiot mode was not anything important to me I just thought it was the only really worthwhile thing that thread had to offer thats all.As far as testing on anything you need just give me a yell you know how to get a hold of me.I currently have a lot of time on my hands to test so just make the changes you need to and give it to me and tell me what you want me to look for.Then I will give you feedback on what information you need to know when we get it close to where it needs to be you take some time and make your tweaks and do the things you need to do and then we will move forward from there.This is just an idea I'm only trying to help.