IGNORED

Did you ever complete "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the 2600?

Rhindle The Red

Did you ever complete "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the 2600?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Did you ever complete "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the 2600?

• Yes, I acquired the Ark and got a nice high score.
    • Yes, I got the Ark, but I never got a very high score.
    • No, I never did finish the darn thing.
    • No, I never played it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I remember getting the game and 5 of us kids on the street trying to finish it long nto the night. About a week later the kid next door found out from his friend and he showed us how it went. Once we knew how some of the excitemnet was gone but my sister and I played the hell out of it anywys. One controlled the inventory and the other Indy. We tried all different things to get our score to the top but never did. We did figure out ways to only make a single pass through certain areas and what not. Overall we enjoyed the game.

Hi Guys

I finished this great game lots of times.but i never got the ultimate highscore.One point was always missing.I do not know why.

greetings Walter

By "1 point", do you mean 1 pixel? If so, you are missing 2 points. The below spoiler is a guess (the first and second lines are clues, the last line is the full description):

2 points are lost if you use the grenade to blow a hole in the wall at the boulder screen. This is a common misconception since the manual spoilers instruct you to do this. You need to find some other way into the rooms.

The "headpiece" object has a dual-use. You already know that it highlights the location of the Ark in the map room, but it can be used in another way too.

In the first market below the boulder screen (with the headpiece selected) run along the right border while pressing the action button. Every few moments, the program checks for this...and will take you to the Temple Entrance.

Found the Ark back then, but never found the Extra-Terrestrial Yar mentioned in the manual.

I also owned Yars' Revenge, so I knew what a Yar was, but I just couldn't understand what the hell it was doing in ROTLA.

Little did I know about Warshaw back then.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I bought ROTLA new when it came out.I actually had to do research to play the damn thing.Since the game came out before the internet age,i had to go to the public library just to look for pictures of MESA'S.I had no idea what a MESA was,(yeah,i know,but i was terrible in geography and never took it in high school)since you had to stand on top of one,and jump in with a parachute,what the hell are they talking about,i thought.When i saw the pictures,it clicked in,oh yeah,those rock formations with a flat top you see in those Clint Eastwood cowboy flicks.Anyway i gave up trying to land in the mesa,as i failed 9 out of 10 times.I havent played it since trying it again a couple years ago.Its a pretty good game though,IMO.

Edited by Rik

I played this around 1986 after getting a VCS and some games, including Raiders, as a Christmas gift. Of course there were no instructions so I had no clue how to play it so it just collected dust. At the local library I came across old Joystik magazines which one issue in particular had the walk through which I used to beat the game.

I got Raiders for Christmas- when it was released. My brother and I managed to get around some of the game thanks to the hints that came with the manual. Once back at school, some pals had made it about 10% further on their own but never completed the game.

If you called the 1-800 number for Atari and waited on line for 45 minutes, an operator took your name and address to mail out a hint book map and a walk thru. 6-8 weeks my azz... was an eternity!! Got it my first day of summer break and 30 minutes later... completed. Even though it was a cheap cheat to use the walkthru... it was still an achievement for a 11 year old!!

Thanks for making me feel old.

I still have nightmares about this game...my dad became obsessed both with beating it and after that, getting the highest score and seeing the initials (which he never did). We were scared of him and his temper enough without him bullying one of us to control his inventory during certain parts of the game. If you messed up, boy, you got it. Seriously, that theme song haunts me to this day...

Naturally this was one of the carts I just HAD to buy when we got our Woody a few months ago, lol. :D I honestly believe I'll never play it though.

I didn't know you could lose points. That explains why I could never get very close to the ark.

Today at the swap meets I found a lot of 2600 carts and instructions. As part of the instructions lot there was an booklet from Atari "Raiders of the Lost Ark Solution Sheet". This is a very large bi-fold appears to be on antique paper walk through of the whole game. Never seen it before. It has step-by-step instructions and screen shots to help you finish the game.

• 2 years later...