IGNORED

Pole Position Peon

RangerG

Everyone is always super helpful with tips on Atari play so thanks in advance. I need some advice on Pole Position (5200). I just can't seem to finish the race. I get so close, but I die in the 4th race/heat. Any hints on better Pole Position play. Do you ever brake or use the grass? I am using a Wico stick -- should I take it off centering? I must complete the race and see the checkered flags :roll: !

Wow -- time for bed. Tomorrow early is my fantasy football draft.

Do you ever brake or use the grass?

I try not to use grass while I'm driving! :lolblue:

Seriously, now is time for your next home project, building a 5200 PADDLE controller to use with Pole Position, and either use an attached Comp Pro joystick for the hi/low shifting or include an extra switch right on the controller for gear shifting. It's not as hard as it sounds! 8) Then, for sure you'll finish the race!

I can't really comment about the 5200 version, but I'm very familiar with the 400/800 version (I even do my own "Prepare to Qualify" voice) :)

The game definetly ends, I've beaten the final race many times. Perhaps your just at too high a difficulty (Do you get Pole Position in the qualifying lap?) On the 400/800 the options are changes with the option and select keys, so try the * and # keys. I'll look into this tonight.

BTW if you want a version where you win eveytime I'll dump my demo version of PP. The car drives itself and you always win!

Tempest

Cafeman -- I'm glad I am in good company with the not being able to finish. I thought I just stink. It's funny because I love collecting and playing old videogames, but I'm a very average player. Also, I really can't take long complicated modern video games so that is probably why I still like Atari so much.

Mr. Retrogamer -- I was keeping it a secret until it arrives, but Skatepunk made me a paddle with a 5200 joystick and 2600 paddles I sent him (when I get it I'll post a thanks). It doesn't have the switch so I wasn't planning on using it for Pole Position, but I didn't know the Comp. Pro stick would work as a gear. Hummmmmm! or maybe I could put in a switch myself -- how hard is it? Thanks for the info.

Ranger G-

Here are a few tips I use.

Pole Position is 1 of my favorite 5200 games.

The wico is the best choice when playing too.

I have a CX52 paddle but prefer the wico.

I leave the self centering springs on.

Also, use the side adjust pot to center your car

this will eliminate any L/R drifting.

First, shift into HI @ approx 100mph.

Second, when turning- go to the outside and make your turns to the inside

as slow and smooth as possible, try not to squeal your tires, as it slows you down,

it might not seems like much but it really adds up (against you).

Turn 4 is the most difficult part of POLE.

Stay to the inside (if you can- you will be forced to most times anyway)

downshift into LOW just as you passing the brown sign on your left, half

way into the turn shift back into HI, straighten out and continue on.

This is kinda tuff to do but it will become easy with practice.

Finally, if you really intend on mastering PP, you will need to spend

Hours and Hours playing it !

Always put the pedal to the metal ! ;)

Never hit the red/white border, or the grass !

Don't wreck, EVER ! :wink:

If I remember correctly, if you wreck twice on a default game

(4laps) you will not make the finish line ! :x

I don't remember- cause I try not to crash. :D

I have learned these few things and have broke 60,000+ pts so far.

The goal is 61,000. I don't think anymore is possible on a (default) 4 lap

game, but I will certainly try :twisted:

I hope some of this helps,

Later, good luck and I'll see you at the finish line !

I just played three games of 5200 Pole Position in a row, and in the 3rd on, I saw the checkered flag and finished the game with 5 seconds left! My total time ended up being 241"32 , score was 56,500. I placed 2nd in the qualifying heat. I had wrecked once -- some of those cars get a bit jumpy when you must drive between them, and I hit one.

Thanks for the motivation to finally finish the race, Voltman. I must say, I cannot get the 4 laps to change. * and # do nothing, neither do any button have an effect on options that I can see.

Finally, if you really intend on mastering PP, you will need to spend  

Hours and Hours playing it !

Cafeman-

3 games ???

Well so much for my hours of practicing !! lol

Hey, if you had made Pole Position #1 add 2000 pts.

And not crashed (cost you approx 6 secs) add 1200 pts.

You'd have landed 59,700 pts !! Damn, unbelievable, 3 games !!!!

Maybe I shouldn't practice so Hard ? ;)

BTW, the * selects tracks and # no. of laps.

Iv'e used both 2 / 4 ports and they're the same.

If the cont' buttons work. Maybe, there is prob with that cart ??

Also, I got to try your Koffi @ CGE it's great. I love the Fireballs

etc.. a few people didn't understand the gameplay until they got a

little info. After that, it got great FB !

I will play it some more myself and drop you a line.

Got a glimse of the Koffi box too, it is really Nice.

Guess I better go play PP- looks as if there's

a new PP contender in town :wink:

Cafeman-  

3 games ???

Well so much for my hours of practicing !! lol

===> heh, well you know I've played a lot of Namco Pole Position though both at the arcade and on the excellent Namco classics PSX disk, so I know that course and it's hazards well, despite the 5200's different feel. You know, seeing your earlier post with your tips and high score really motivated me, I sat down with grim determination I guess.

BTW, the * selects tracks and # no. of laps.

Iv'e used both 2 / 4 ports and they're the same.

If the cont' buttons work. Maybe, there is prob with that cart ??  

===> That must be it. I'll try it a few different ways, with different controllers and on my 4 port to investigatethis. But CRAP, that sucks, now I want to try the different tracks and i can't!

Also, I got to try your Koffi @ CGE it's great. I love the Fireballs

etc..  a few people didn't understand the gameplay until they got a

little info. After that, it got great FB !  

I will play it some more myself and drop you a line.

Got a glimse of the Koffi box too, it is really Nice.

===> I'd love to hear more feedback. BTW, the version you made for Geo, it's not the current version. I know this because he reports that the keypad is super-sensitive, i fixed that for the CGE version. Don't know which version you have, but I thought I sent you the CGE one. Let me know.

• 15 years later...

Rather than start a new post, I'm just going to reply to this old topic (because that's what I do).

I've been playing a lot of Pole Position on the 5200 the past few days. Tonight there seemed to be a glitch on the fourth lap of the race because halfway or so through the lap, my high speed topped out at 211 mph (as opposed to the usual 195 mph). I don't recall seeing this happen before, but I don't think it actually gave me an advantage or anything as my last lap was around 59 seconds (not bad considering the extra traffic on the last lap, but not the fastest lap, either). No crashes and a final score of just over 59,000 pts, in case anyone was wondering...

Responses to a couple of the older posts:

1) Cafeman: In order to change settings on the game, you first have to hit the Reset button to get to that screen, then press the * or # keys. I don't think it works otherwise.

2) Turn #4 (the "hairpin") is the worst one. My advice is to get off the track / on the grass (on the left) right after passing the black sign just before the curve, then get back on the road after a second or so. This will slow you down enough so you don't end up driving off the road on the right side (and running into that annoying red sign), and your car should be able to handle the turn better when you return to the road.

Sometimes getting on the grass to the left will also allow you to pass a car on the inside track, other times the cars are in the way and you have no choice but to slow down before getting into the curve (otherwise you're going to hit that red sign...who's idea was it to put a sign there, anyway?).

It should be possible to obtain a higher score on the 5200 version vs. the 8-bit computer version, as the 5200 version allows the analog controllers to make slight directional changes that won't make your car skid (except for turn #4), vs. the digital sticks with the computer version that require at least slight skids each time you move left or right.

Now you know way more than you did before about Pole Position!