IGNORED

Help Identifying a game! (was WTB Tunnel runner for C64 on cart)

nathanallan

The game I was playing was black and white and used keyboard commands. It was on a cartridge, you were a medieval hero who went through a dungeon making sure your torch stayed lit and that you killed off all the beasties within. You picked up items, and it was a true first person rpg game. Lots of keyboard commands as we never had any joysticks. Turn left, turn right, pick up items, fight. Great fun, I remember it fondly.

Does anyone have a clue as to what game this was???

Nathan

I'd have to give them a go, it may have been color but there was a lot of line drawing, and lots of darkness cause the torches would go out. The lines may have been colored, that is. Keep the suggestions coming, I can fire up an emulator and "sample" until I get what I can remember.

I was so young, and can barely remember much else. Not even the key commands! Searching (well, searching later, gotta get ready for the day now).

Nathan

You guys are GREAT!! Somehow I totally forgot about GB64 and never even thought to look there, and it was one of four games: Search for Magdarr, Crypt of Fear, Mines of Merlin, or Vault of Terror. ALL of which are now on my most wanted list. Now to figure out which ones were on cart or disk.

Thanks Rom Hunter!!!

Nathan

Search for Magdarr looks to be the only commercial title.

Crypt of Fear, Mines of Merlin, and Vault of Terror all credit

Ahoy! magazine (i.e. homebrew submissions).

Given the choices, Magdarr would be the one most likely to

have been on cartridge. But a quick Google search contradicts

this. Especially since Dungeon of Magdarr is a hack of that game.

So you might be back at square #1.

• 9 months later...

got it, Dungeons of Daggorath!

Strangely enough, I wasn't even looking for it and found it while reading about Tandy games!! LINK to Coco site, it was the screenshots that gave it away, right before I had the rush of nostalgia, then I found that there was a C= port, and sure enough, that was it. I remember the wooden sword and big bad guys shown.

There's one of my life's mysteries solved.

Congrats on finding the answer... it always feels good when you figure something like that out. :)

[And I'm sure y'all realize this, but there was a disk edition of Ahoy. The first year I had a subscription my Mom said the $80 for the disk subscription was way too much, but then after I made her help type in really long machine language programs she sprang for the disks the next year. :) ]