IGNORED

Atari A/V mod update

Longhorn Engineer

• 3 months later...
PM sent: That B&W issue has only happened twice now. Seems that little tiny chip doesn't like boards being flexed during shipping. I thought I fixed it by shipping the mods in the stiffer packaging but that seems to not have worked. Reflowing the chip will fix it. If you can't manage to do it Deteacher then I will send a replacement for a swap. Parker

Looks like "reflowing the chip" is a fix I can attempt. Which chip and what is meant by reflowing? Just re-melting solder?

• 5 months later...
PM sent: That B&W issue has only happened twice now. Seems that little tiny chip doesn't like boards being flexed during shipping. I thought I fixed it by shipping the mods in the stiffer packaging but that seems to not have worked. Reflowing the chip will fix it. If you can't manage to do it Deteacher then I will send a replacement for a swap. Parker

Make that 3 times.

I finally installed the video mod I bought a while back and it has a B&W picture on most of my TVs. Composite has a little bit of (blurry) color (with interference) on 2 TVs, but s-video is B&W on all of them. 2600 games seem to look much better than 7800 games. 2600 games have color, but it's just a little washed out. The TVs I'm trying this on have color set to look good for everything else, (multiple gaming consoles, VCR, Satellite, etc.), so I won't be adjusting the TV just for the 7800 video mod in 2600 mode. Composite and s-video in 7800 mode is completely unacceptable, since it is far inferior to the previous RF signal.

I checked out the thread with the audio fix (thanks for that Mitch), and will be correcting the audio once the parts come. However, is there a way to output both TIA channels like with the 2600? I'll be adding a 2nd audio jack so I don't have to use a y-adapter, but it would be nice to do it right instead of just sharing the same line for both jacks.

Also, I didn't realize this mod would kill the RF output. Does anyone have a way to add a single switch to choose between RF or the video mod? I would like to add another switch like the channel switch for this.

It looks like some other people with this problem had to send their 7800s in & get the mobo replaced because it wasn't a problem that re-flowing solder could fix (and didn't work for me). In case it matters, my 7800 was my best one which is compatible with ALL 2600 games (such as Dark Chambers, Robot Tank, Supercharger, etc.) AND works with paddles. It's the only unit I have that is compatible with everything, so I'd like to get this working right.

post-9364-0-44856700-1339525903_thumb.jpg post-9364-0-67379200-1339525876_thumb.jpg

Oh, one more thing:

Does anyone know of a good source for connectors like the white one in this pic? I've spent a couple hours on dialup searching mouser and I'm having trouble finding them.

post-9364-0-77513700-1339526042_thumb.jpg

Edited by KevinMos3

• 3 months later...

Batari:

I would love it if I could get the Gerber files for the 2600 AV mod from you or if anyone else has them available. I've scoured the forums and found one set of gerber files; however, I am concerned they may have changed. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Edited by atariaddict82

Batari:

I would love it if I could get the Gerber files for the 2600 AV mod from you or if anyone else has them available. I've scoured the forums and found one set of gerber files; however, I am concerned they may have changed. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I had a huge batch of boards made and I can just sell you one or more for like $3 a board, they are the Batari version.

• 5 months later...

Hey all. great forum... This search took me right to here, and I am new to the forum...

But has anyone ever thought up how to do a save game modboard of some kind,

so you could have 5 save states for different games on it?

Dont scream at me for being off topic, but if it is already asked, then tell me to

get out of here with a link...

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I'm having a problem with a Atari 2600 also, that I bought already modded.

http://youtu.be/dokSXUmgo8g

The game screen start moving during gameplay, while other games screen moves vertically from the starts, sometimes without sounds either. While other games works.

The guy who sold it to me says it could be a compatibility issue with my TV (Panasonic 50" plasma).

Any one would have an idea about this problem?