IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 39: Fishing Derby

Ze_ro

15 99 - 84

I hardly have any experience with this game. I'm obviously not very adept at it at the moment.

I can not fully express the depth of my loathing for that infernal shark. :P

post-10357-1213118994_thumb.jpg

99 - 36

:cool:

That's amazing. How is that even possible? Are you mostly grabbing the topmost fish and keeping your opponent from catching hardly any at all? Since the CPU almost always goes for the deepest fish this seems the most plausible theory.

Did you happen to film your game? Unless I'm reading the scores wrong yours is much better then the 1st place position on Twin Galaxies.

Edited by darthkur

That's amazing. How is that even possible? Are you mostly grabbing the topmost fish and keeping your opponent from catching hardly any at all? Since the CPU almost always goes for the deepest fish this seems the most plausible theory.

Did you happen to film your game? Unless I'm reading the scores wrong yours is much better then the 1st place position on Twin Galaxies.

Well, I go for the deep fish. The higher the fish, the lower the points. So, it is in your best interest to go for the fish that are worth the most points.

I have been recording my games, but as far as that 1st place score on Twin Galaxies goes, I'd only be beating myself ;) I submitted that score (99 - 50) awhile ago. While I have now improved upon it, will there be somebody else here that can beat my 63? :ponder:

Well, I go for the deep fish. The higher the fish, the lower the points. So, it is in your best interest to go for the fish that are worth the most points.

I have been recording my games, but as far as that 1st place score on Twin Galaxies goes, I'd only be beating myself ;) I submitted that score (99 - 50) awhile ago. While I have now improved upon it, will there be somebody else here that can beat my 63? :ponder:

Could you, perhaps... say... post that video here? :ponder: ;)

Catching three 6-pointers, for every one the computer catches, is proving a bit difficult for someone of my moderate skill set.

I realized that the closer to the surface fish were of a lesser point value but I just figured you must've been plucking them out one after the other. The computer seems to catch those deep ones fairly fast. You must definitely have quite the knack of snagging the bottom dwellers very quickly. I just can't seem to get them on the line without a struggle. And that's with the "B" setting. On the "A" setting it's sheer frustration incarnate. I'll have to give this game more attention and see if I can improve any. It'll obviously be too late for the HSC but that's alright. Maybe I'll be ready the next time it gets picked down the road. ;)

I didn't know you were already the TG record holder. I'd still update it though. That makes it all the more certain that you'll retain your title for quite some time.

Edited by darthkur

Catching three 6-pointers, for every one the computer catches, is proving a bit difficult for someone of my moderate skill set.

I'd be happy to, but I would need help with that.

I don't have the technical know-how, nor the proper equipment to convert my VHS tapes to DVD, then to a file format for Internet viewing. A friend of mine did this for my Pitfall! speedrun: pitfall_speedrun

We even talked about doing the same for my perfect score on Pitfall II for the Atari 5200 (both quests = 504,000 points with a clean, error free run) But that never happened, and the tape is now in the hands of a TG ref. So, I would have to do it again! :twisted:

Anyway, as far as my Fishing Derby score goes, I am pretty quick to hook the fish, but every now and again, the shark becomes my friend and eats the computer's fish, thus keeping down his score while I pluck away! When those two factors combine, I get the scores you see. So when you really get down to it, there is some luck involved!

Keep practicing hooking the fish, and I'm absolutely sure others will not only match, but beat my current best. Good luck!

I'd be happy to, but I would need help with that.

I don't have the technical know-how, nor the proper equipment to convert my VHS tapes to DVD, then to a file format for Internet viewing. A friend of mine did this for my Pitfall! speedrun: pitfall_speedrun

We even talked about doing the same for my perfect score on Pitfall II for the Atari 5200 (both quests = 504,000 points with a clean, error free run) But that never happened, and the tape is now in the hands of a TG ref. So, I would have to do it again! :twisted:

Anyway, as far as my Fishing Derby score goes, I am pretty quick to hook the fish, but every now and again, the shark becomes my friend and eats the computer's fish, thus keeping down his score while I pluck away! When those two factors combine, I get the scores you see. So when you really get down to it, there is some luck involved!

Keep practicing hooking the fish, and I'm absolutely sure others will not only match, but beat my current best. Good luck!

Ah, understandable. I'd be more than happy to help with the video if you weren't 5 hours away. :)

Nice Pitfall video! I've never had the patience to make it all the way though. :) I've converted a lot of VHS to DVD and various computer formats, but I've only recorded one of my games...

starting with level 5. That's where we were all getting stuck in the HSC a while back. :) I wish I had recorded my Roc N' Rope game...

99 - 30

Amazing score... but you missed the deadline. Of course, you had first place anyways, so no big deal. Hope you taped that one!

Funny that our old friend Mr Rogers doesn't have a score for this one in TG...

--Zero