IGNORED

GameGavel.com - Auctions for Gamers! - Play VIDGRID - The GameGavel Game

Parrothead

I like Gamegavel, but there is one small annoyance i don't like. When i go check out an old auction i won and want to see the details i have to log in, no problem there. But if i then go click on my account and want to check on my messages and such it makes me log in again. I know it's not a major gripe but it is annoying. I should only have to log in once.

Everyone get the email about only selling "commercially avalible items" on CTCW\GG now? :roll: So much for a "welcome" place to sell prototypes,modded consoles, reproductions,ect eh? :sad:

> Does that include 2600 stuff?

>

Hobbiest created repros & homebrews are fine. Legit prototypes are fine

too. I am just trying to get away from pirated multicarts, modded systems

(terriroty free for example), etc.

Google is pretty vague when it comes to this stuff and there is noone

there to talk with about it so still feeling our way around it.

What is happening is that we have a few thousand listings running and

because 2 or three of them mention pirated multicarts or modded system,

etc. it shuts our feed down.

Hope that makes sense :) Here is a thread in our forums to discuss.

http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2463

- Mike, GG

;)

Everyone get the email about only selling "commercially avalible items" on CTCW\GG now? :roll: So much for a "welcome" place to sell prototypes,modded consoles, reproductions,ect eh? :sad:

> Does that include 2600 stuff?

>

Hobbiest created repros & homebrews are fine. Legit prototypes are fine

too. I am just trying to get away from pirated multicarts, modded systems

(terriroty free for example), etc.

Google is pretty vague when it comes to this stuff and there is noone

there to talk with about it so still feeling our way around it.....

So just no modded consoles or multicarts? Still kinda sucks cause I got a homemade multicart for the 2600 and a modded SNES I'm trying to sell right now and CTCW might have been a place I would have tried to sell them. It was little perks like this that made CTCW cool though. I just don't understand now how a single repro is OK but a cart full of them isn't. Also a region modded system is taboo but all it would do is allow you to play more legit carts, it's not like there is a dozen built in R10's or something like that :? Oh well, shit happens I guess.

I wanted to explain to everyone, especially our sellers or anyone wanting to sell on GameGavel in the future. First off we are growing nicely but one thing we also do is feed all our fixed price/buy now style listings into what is called Google Base. This makes sellers items appear in the Google Search and Google Shopping environments. This gets your auctions infront of everyone searching for games on Google greatly increasing your listing's coverage.

So even though we are still small, but growing, auctions are also being run on the biggest search engine on the planet.

To see this in action simple type this as an example into the Google search bar: spyro the dragon playstation 1 and then click on Shopping Results to see this sellers listing on GameGavel.

Also, to see all the GameGavel auctions running in Google click this link:

http://www.google.com/products?q=gamegavel&hl=en&aq=f

Our feeds get updated daily at 6:00 AM EST so everything stays current. This is a free service to GameGavel sellers and you need to do nothing except list a fixed price listing to be included in the feed.

As you can imagine this feed brings in lots of traffic to your listings and to GameGavel.

Just a GameGavel growth update here. As you know we finally transferred our forums and RetroArcadeRadio to fly under the GameGavel URL. This combined with the Google Shopping Feeds back up and running is really driving significant traffic to the site. Here are todays stats direct from Google Analytics showing a pretty significant increase in traffic. For about the last week since getting this all kicking on four cylinders we are averageing about 2400 unique visitors/day and that is over 70,000 unique visitors for the next month. Pretty incredible!

The site is growing in all directions and I hope this continues to increase your confidence in selling on the site. 65% are new visitors to so lots of new people looking for lots of different things both retro and for todays systems.

Google0224.JPG

Edited by Parrothead

• 2 weeks later...

Today GameGavel is one week from hitting its 2-year anniversary. So instead of waiting to send this email on “the day”, I am sending it out now as I hope it will spark new readers to register and help us hit our goal of 4,000 registered members our first two years. It appears we will hit this # right on target.

Thanks to all of our members. And by all I mean all 3,913 (including over 200 new members who just signed up this month) of you – whether you have been consistently using GameGavel since we launched or just poking your head in every now and then to make sure we are still alive and kickin’. In two years GameGavel has grown considerably not only in just the # of registered members but also in the staggering # of unique visitors the site is now seeing on a monthly basis. And more and more of these visitors are registering when they see something they want to buy.

Many of you have been hesitant to list with any consistency on GameGavel due to our low level of traffic. Well, now the time has come that our biggest problem, at this stage is not for lack of traffic (now approaching 80,000 unique visitors/month and 400,000 page views) but lack of new listings. I have been working hard to spread the word of GameGavel through lots of channels. Many of you show your support by helping to spread the word to your friends, forums or your online communities and that is something that I am extremely thankful for and will continue to depend on as time goes by. We all want an alternative to Ebay and we are all working together to cement GameGavel as that alternative.

Our efforts are paying off in a big way. Here is a link to our latest 30-day Google Analytics statistics, which are showing proof that GameGavel is growing significantly:

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14433#post14433

Our stats for two years are showing we have listed 263,141 items, sold over $180,000 in merchandise and are averaging over 60,000 searches for items each month.

A couple new things that will be put into place are some site advertising, again, with the sole purpose of generating some consistent revenue to drive back into GameGavel’s functionality and promotion. This will benefit all of us using the site and help us continue to always operate without listing fees and low selling commissions.

We will be upgrading our forums to Vbulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite, in the next day or so, which will once again give the forums a new facelift but more importantly will now include a built-in blog engine so now anyone wanting to blog can do so easily in a great venue filled with gamers interested in what they have to say. It may also be a cool way to promote your auctions to the readers of your blog.

And finally, we are working on GameGavel.co.uk, which will be our first attempt at a country specific offshoot. This is a tricky undertaking that will take some time to develop. Here is a sneak peak at what will be the logo for GameGavel UK: http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14048&postcount=5

As I mentioned before, what the site needs now, more than ever, is listings. In addition to our efforts to keep spreading the word, Google Shopping Feeds are now consistently running and many of our sellers are seeing a higher level of sales. Google Shopping is responsible for a large % of our monthly unique visitors and it’s your listings that are bringing them in. Even more listings will mean even more people flooding into GameGavel. Here is a link showing our Google Shopping listings as of today: http://www.google.com/products?q=gamegavel&hl=en&aq=f

If you have been meaning to try GameGavel now is the time to try. Free listings are back and will never go away so there is absolutely no risk to list some items. None. We all want an alternative to Ebay. One that is dedicated to gaming, has free listings and low fees, and has traffic. We have that now in GameGavel. We just need your listings - plain and simple. Try listing some items on GameGavel and on Ebay. Use both sites. Link your free GameGavel seller store to your Ebay store and pass buyers back and forth. Using a combination of GameGavel and Ebay is a smart thing to do, especially if you don’t want to rely solely on GameGavel for all your sales and you want to start depending less and less on Ebay. Start slow and I am sure after a while GameGavel will be your site of choice for the majority of your buying and selling.

This next year is continuing to show tremendous promise for GameGavel and its members. We will be continuing to upgrade and improve the site based largely on feedback from you. And let’s all thank the CGE team for coming back in 2010. This is the first CGE to happen since GameGavel has been in existence and I am looking forward to meeting many of you that weekend.

Now to celebrate by having some green brew and a crock-pot full of jazzed up corn beef. Happy St. Pattys day to all of you and here’s two another two years of whittling away at you know who :)

Erin Go Bragh

So Cal Mike, Founder

GameGavel.com

Of the 263k listings, how many unique completed auction sales so far?

Of the 263k listings how many where relistings VS new items?

Of the close to 4,000 members how many have completed at least 3 or more transactions as a buyer or seller?

Those are some stats that should also be included so people are able to chunch the numbers more efficantly.

Of the 263k listings, how many unique completed auction sales so far?

Of the 263k listings how many where relistings VS new items?

Of the close to 4,000 members how many have completed at least 3 or more transactions as a buyer or seller?

Those are some stats that should also be included so people are able to chunch the numbers more efficantly.

Of the 263k listings, how many unique completed auction sales so far? - 18,000-19,000

Of the 263k listings how many where relistings VS new items? - Not sure of this one as stats don't show new/relisting but obviously a large % of these are from relistings. But Ebay is the same way I guarantee it. And you have to remember, alot of whetehr an item sells or not depends on how the seller has it listed and their asking price. A large % of item go unsold on lots of different marketplaces simply because the sellers have an unrealistic selling prices.

Of the close to 4,000 members how many have completed at least 3 or more transactions as a buyer or seller? - Another good question but don't have an answer here. It is really the fault of the member if they are not taking advantage of this though. I am doing the best I can to offer a low-cost risk free environment. What peole want to do with it is up to them. All I can do is what I have been doing. We are doing as can be expected by any site going against Ebay. And for only being around two years we've done remarkabley well.

I have nothing to hide as usual. Sure I am going to go public with the positive stats, anyone would and those stats I listed above are far more important than the stats you are questioning and if I were to really get detailed about it they would show an upward trend in registrations, listings and bidders. Each month growing more and more.

Ebay has similar stat issues but you never see them showing the ratio of sold to unsold and how much money they are making off relistings -it would be the nail in their coffin. If everyone knew that they would surely think twice about listing there. The bottom line is if more people would consider using GameGavel vs. trying to find its faults and my hidden agendas (which there aren't any) then we would all have a serious contender vying for Ebay's video game business.

GameGavel is a site build by a gamer for gamers that is all. Tons of effort has been poured into all avenues of GameGavel - the auction site, forums, radio station and podcast. I am dedicated to growing this site for all you guys so please consider standing behind us and not infront of us :) I have done what I have said - and that is grow GG into a viable alternative now with plenty of traffic to afford any seller that wants to use it positive results. Now if you truely want an alternative to Ebay, like you are all saying, what is keeping you from trying GameGavel?

Edited by Parrothead

I have nothing to hide as usual. Sure I am going to go public with the positive stats, anyone would and those stats I listed above are far more important than the stats you are questioning and if I were to really get detailed about it they would show an upward trend in registrations, listings and bidders. Each month growing more and more.

Ebay has similar stat issues but you never see them showing the ratio of sold to unsold and how much money they are making off relistings -it would be the nail in their coffin. If everyone knew that they would surely think twice about listing there. The bottom line is if more people would consider using GameGavel vs. trying to find its faults and my hidden agendas (which there aren't any) then we would all have a serious contender vying for Ebay's video game business.

I don't think your trying to hide anything by any means. I was just looking for some other stats to go with the ones you already posted. The stats really do help to crunch numbers and weigh options of using GameGavel VS Ebay,ect. As for the members thing, it was just out of personal curiosity i.e. There are tens of thousands of AtariAge memebers but only a few hundred at best that frequent the forum on a regular basis and even fewer that post to the forum so if one was to try and calculate the number of "currently reading" or "Currently Posting" or "reading VS posting" AtariAge memebers with actively used accounts with only the full memeber list to go by without a post count or recent activity chart it would be a very hard thing to do. Just looking to boil it down to the elements so to speak and the more info you have the better when judging how to maximize the usefulness of a smaller venue VS bigger venue as a buyer and as a seller.

FUN FACT: Ebay openly admits 60 percent of it's auctions never get a single bid no matter how many times the item is listed.

Good points. I am always happy to answer questions about GG and sometimes read more into comments than I should.

Is that fact true?

Yep, it's 100 percent fact. Ask ebay, they will tell you but they will say it's cause the items are either listed wrong, priced incorrect,ect. But ya, at the end of the day only 40 percent of ebay listings create sales.

EDIT: Here ya go

Tomorrow, March 25th marks the first day of GameGavel's third year! Way to go Mike!

So I say.....

Let’s get GameGavel’s 3rd Year Started With a Bang!

Contest:

During April 2010, sell $50 or more of fixed price listings on GameGavel and have your name entered in a drawing to win $50 credit toward a GameGavel purchase from seller oldgames. Two prizes will be awarded.

Rules:

1. Listings must be fixed price (starting price and buy price the same).

2. Mike, the GameGavel owner, will determine eligibility. Once you have sold $50 worth, simply message me (oldgames) and I will send the list of qualifiers to Mike. He will verify your fixed price sales total and enter your name in the drawing.

3. Mike will also do the drawing for the winners.

4. One entry per member.

5. Prize must be used within 30 days of the announcement of winners

6. Prize must be used on a single order. Multiple items may be purchased on this single order.

FAQ:

Do relists count?

Yes, any fixed price listing that sells during April 2010 will count toward your $50.

If I sell $100 worth do I get 2 entries?

No, each member that qualifies will be entered one time. All members who qualify will have an equal chance to win.

Why is this based on sales rather than # of listings?

This is to encourage listings at reasonable prices that will generate sales. As traffic to the site grows, having a good variety of reasonably priced items is very important.

Why are only fixed price listings eligible?

Mike has added a fantastic feature to the site that sends a daily feed of fixed price listings to Google Base which makes these items appear in the Google Shopping area.

My traffic has increased dramatically since this feature was added. The more products from GameGavel that appear in the Google shopping area, the more traffic will continue to grow on the site. More traffic = More sellers will be attracted. More Sellers = Greater selection of gaming goodness. More selection = More customers….. and the cycle continues.

Why is the prize only good for purchases from seller oldgames?

I’m providing the prizes. I’m hoping that once you get your order and see the quality of my products and service that you’ll become one of my regular customers.

Who is eligible?

Any GameGavel member in good standing (fees paid up to date) with the following 2 exclusions: Contest Sponsor: (oldgames) and GameGavel Owner: (gamegavel, socalmike).

I want to give GameGavel a try, but I’m not a member yet. How do I sign up?

Go to www.gamegavel.com and click on the Register link at the top of the page. In order to sell, you’ll need to have a credit card on file.

What items can I list for this contest?

Any items permitted on GameGavel are eligible to count toward this contest. Again, the listings must be fixed price (starting price and buy price the same)

If I win, what can I buy with my prize?

Any items listed by oldgames. There are no exclusions. You may apply the prize to multiple items, but they must all be purchased on a single order within 30 days of contest end.

How do I claim my prize if I win?

Once you have sold $50 or more in fixed price listings during April, simply message me and I will send your entry to Mike to verify your sales total and enter your name in the drawing.

Winners will be notified during the first week of May 2010. Once this notification is sent, you will have 30 days to place a GameGavel order with oldgames totaling $50.00 or more (including shipping charges). The $50.00 will be deducted from the total of the invoice for this order and you will pay the balance, if any, by either PayPal or US postal service money order as with any other purchase.

Contest starts tomorrow! Hope everyone has lots of good stuff to list!

More good news! Mike has matched my prize offerings! This means that each of the 2 winners will get $100 in value, $50 toward purchases from me and another $50 toward purchases from the GameGavel store or socalmike!

:lust:

• 3 weeks later...

ukgamegavel.jpg

GameGavel.co.uk going LIVE!

I am excited to tell you all next week we will be going live with GameGavel.co.uk. This will be a new site focused on the European market and will use GBP as the main site currency. This site will share member databases with GameGavel so if you are in the Europe and already registered you will be good to go and can use both sites seamlessly.

As with any new venture there will be bugs and issues to iron out as we grow. GameGavel.co.uk will share a very similar look as the original site and they will be linked together at the very minimum. Members of GameGavel.co.uk will benefit by knowing we will stop at nothing to continue building a high quality, less-expensive auction alternative to Ebay and will work diligently to grow the site to scale so members will have just as much success selling their items on GameGavel as they would on Ebay. Fixed price/buy-now listings running on GameGavel.co.uk will also be visible in the Google shopping area increasing their exposure greatly. We have a new forum thread for discussing the launch of GameGavel.co.uk here so feel free to introduce yourself and give us your opinion of the site and what you would like to see in a European dedicated gaming auction site (remembering the forum requires a separate registration from the auction site): http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102

Introducing UK Mike

Helping to administor the site is UK Mike, my co-host on http://www.RetroGamingRoundup.com. He has expressed interest in partnering with GameGavel to help administer this new European auction site. Not only does he live in the UK, but he is well versed in all things web related and will also help market GG.co.uk to the European market.

Are you in Europe? Do you want a lifetime Free Seller Account?

Currently we have a couple hundred members from Europe registered on GameGavel.com. As I indicated you will be automatically registered when GG.co.uk goes live. Since you are already a member of GameGavel I would like to also offer you a life time free seller membership (pay no listing fees/selling fees for life) in trade for some listings soon after the site goes live. If you are interested in this “Free Seller Account” offer than please respond to me at socalmike@gamegavel.com so I can upgrade your account.

If you are in Europe and not yet registered on GameGavel.com/UK then you to will be open to receiving a lifetime free seller account in trade for bringing some listings over soon after we launch.

And, again, for our European members – if you are excited about this news please help us spread the word by letting everyone know in the European gaming forums that GameGavel is coming to Europe. Word of mouth has always been our best advertising and if GameGavel is to be a successful Ebay alternative in Europe, we will need all the help we can get.

Improved Category Searching

Many of you have asked that we revise our category search system to include all items up for sale within a main category and then having a drill down menu to fine tune your searches into the secondary categories. We have been working on this and should have this improvement made in the next month or so. This will make searching GameGavel more efficient and much more enjoyable for those of us wanting to see everything for sale under a main category with one button click.

Again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions for improving the site. Everything you bring to our attention is seriously looked at and implemented sooner or later.

GameGavel is a great community of gamers and most members are filling up with significant positive feedback. I hope all of us can strive to hit 100% positive feedback. Remember, great transaction communication is one way to resolve any problems before anyone has to result to leaving negative feedback.

If you have any questions regarding GameGavel.co.uk feel free to contact either myself, or UK Mike. Thanks again to all of you for registering and using GameGavel.

So Cal Mike, Founder GameGavel.com - socalmike@gamegavel.com

UK Mike, Co-Host RetroGamingRoundup.com, GameGavel.co.uk - ukmike@retrogamingroundup.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Buy Now vs. Auction Style Listings. Are your listings priced to high to sell?

A big trend these days, on Ebay and on GameGavel is to forgo the auction format and list using Buy Now. There are benefits attached to each of these listing methods but it seems like most buyers still prefer the “auction” format over Buy It Now. Unfortunately the “auction” style listing method seems to be disappearing from the landscapes of all auction sites as time goes by. I think this is due in part to having such a long selling history for video games, many simply take historical selling prices and use them as a starting bid or for a Buy Now price. This is fine if the Buy Now prices sellers are using are accurate. But, I have looked at a random selection of GameGavel item Buy Now prices and have compared them to the closed selling prices for the same games on Ebay and I am seeing that many sellers on GameGavel are simply over pricing all of their games and thus not selling much. If you are one of our sellers currently running all your listings as fixed price/Buy Now, I urge you to look at your items and then look at those same items on Ebay’s closed sales area and compare the two. If you see your pricing is to high, you should consider lowering your prices to increase your sales.

For Example, I looked at all the Super Mario Bros. 2 & 3 carts on GameGavel and every one of them is more than the closed selling prices of these same games on Ebay. In this day and age unless your games are priced to sell, they simply won’t sell, on GG or Ebay.

I have sold nearly 100% of all my listings. I do a mix of Buy Now (priced to sell) and Auction formats. But I also set up my GameGavel store and promote my auctions throughout the various forums. It does take a bit of self-promotion sometimes to help boost your sales. So you should all be promoting your items, at a minimum, in the GameGavel forums, if not also Digital Press, AtariAge, NintendoAge, Sega-16, etc. And again, accurately pricing your Buy Nows is key if you want to sell.

This week we went over 5,000 running auctions. And with this, our site has seen increased item views and searches of over 6,000/day so people are coming and checking out the listings. But again, if your listings are overpriced, no one will be buying.

As an incentive for you to list some “auction” style listings, we will be featuring a button on the GameGavel homepage that will bring buyers to nothing but a listing of “auction” style listings, No Buy Nows will be included in this list. These “auction” style listings will also be featured on the GameGavel forum homepage as well so they will see some additionally high visibility. This is a temporary fix which will eventually lead the way for people to search each item category by choosing to search, All istings, or either Buy Now or Auction Style listings only.

Buy Nows are still being fed into Google Shopping so it is always still good to have a large selection of these fixed price/Buy Now listings, don’t get me wrong. It is just that I think we need to have a higher % of auction style listings to help all our sellers out. So all I am asking is for you to take a look at your listings. Do you have a mix of Buy Nows and “auction” style listings? Are your Buy Now listings accurately priced to sell?

In addition we have added a writing team to deliver daily/weekly blogs, game reviews, industry opinions, etc in the forums. Since our writing team has been on board overall site traffic is up considerably so if you haven’t been to the forums lately, why not check it out. Here is a link to our blog section: http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/blog.php. It has always been my goal to offer a unique, all-inclusive gaming website unlike any other. And I think with all the community building features we have (forums, blogs, radio station, podcast, flash games, etc.) combined with the anchor that is the auction site, GameGavel is truly unlike any other gaming website around.

I hope to see many of you at CGE at the end of the month. If you are there, please stop by the GameGavel/RetroGamingRoundup booth and say, “Hi”.

Thanks again to all of you who are sticking with me and helping to continue to grow GameGavel into the Ebay alternative we all want.

Mike Kennedy

GameGavel.com

• Like 1

A good point Mike, and to add to the credibility of what you're saying, I found selected items that were actually _more expensive_ than they were on EBay. Not a dollar or two but close to a $10 delta.

I made a simple personal rule of only new items would be up for BIN v/s used. The logic is that if you are doing a google search for an item and want to buy it from a (possibly unknown) source, a used game or piece of equipment has more question marks associated with it than a new one. It feels more professional in my mind.

As for pricing, I (think) that I priced the new items I have in the middle of the pack. Buyers may be turned off by the shipping and that paragraph is due for a revision to be more specific. Although I tend to think that the first sentence says it all. <shrug>

Just my thoughts...

Hex.

[ Somewhat flaky lackey, and personal food taster... ]

A good point Mike, and to add to the credibility of what you're saying, I found selected items that were actually _more expensive_ than they were on EBay. Not a dollar or two but close to a $10 delta.

I made a simple personal rule of only new items would be up for BIN v/s used. The logic is that if you are doing a google search for an item and want to buy it from a (possibly unknown) source, a used game or piece of equipment has more question marks associated with it than a new one. It feels more professional in my mind.

As for pricing, I (think) that I priced the new items I have in the middle of the pack. Buyers may be turned off by the shipping and that paragraph is due for a revision to be more specific. Although I tend to think that the first sentence says it all. <shrug>

Just my thoughts...

Hex.

[ Somewhat flaky lackey, and personal food taster... ]

Ya, and it runs deep, I just picked Super Mario Bros as an example, but I would guess that more than 80% of the GG listings are over priced. I think people automatically think because their items aren't selling on GameGavel that it is some how GG's fault for not having enough buyer traffic. That is just not the case as we have plenty of traffic. More often than not, it is the sellers own fault for not having realistic buy now prices, starting bids, etc. I am always looking at my non selling items and if they don't sell, I keep lowering my price until they do sell. This stuff does me no good sitting in piles in my house. I want to sell and move my stuff, plain and simple. And as I've said, I sell nearly 100% of my items and when they are priced right they sell.

And this is not just a problem on GG. Ebay has the same issues as well where sellers are over pricing their items. Do a search for any game you want and you will see a few selling and tons of others just sitting there with unrealistic prices, getting relisted over and over again.

Edited by Parrothead