IGNORED

GameGavel.com - Auctions for Gamers! - Play VIDGRID - The GameGavel Game

Parrothead

How soon will eBay pull this auction? Any guesses? Can you say restraint of trade?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270238364075

A member suggested I try this, and I figured what the heck. I know another member has been adding his CTCW home page into his ebay auctions and that has been bringing him lots more traffic to his CTCW auctions. Kinda ironic :)

How soon will eBay pull this auction? Any guesses? Can you say restraint of trade?

A member suggested I try this, and I figured what the heck. I know another member has been adding his CTCW home page into his ebay auctions and that has been bringing him lots more traffic to his CTCW auctions. Kinda ironic :)

:lol: nice!! i think you should have used a few key (spam) words in there also (atari,coleco...ect) ;)

Rick

Suggestions for the website:

On the auction pages, change the format so that the current bid is in bold and the time ending and hours left are in bold. Or enlarged. When I look at auctions, it takes me a few seconds to figure out where the important data is. Formatting should make the 3 most important things obvious, then the next few important things listed in order of importance. To me it's:

Seller name & feedback

Current Price (ie. High Bid)

Time Left/ Auction end

then

Shipping price

High bidder

Date listed

then

Other auctions by seller

Do they combine shipping?

I would also suggest that for bid history, you could even try a graph approach by day where the X axis is the days (i.e. for a 7 day auction there would be Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) and the Y axis price and you could have each point with a line to the bidder name. If it's alot of work, maybe not worth it.

I would also suggest a comment section for each auction, which could be potentially edited or turned on and off by the seller (i.e. you could just make it so the seller can omit a comment, but I would suggest it look like this:

Rick Weis: Cool auction!

Ianoid: (Omitted by seller)

Rick Weis: Yeah, I know!

Rather than the seller being allowed to edit comments. Then you could filter for curse words, etc and of course allow you to omit/turn off comments).

I think this sort of commentary would make it more of a community. You could limit it to 200 characters. You could say no links or ads, whatever. You could make each comment subject to seller approval (or make approval an option as opposed to just editing)... Or you could just make it a free for all, but that would be sloppy.

Then I would also suggest never dropping auction histories and allowing for infinite research.

In order to facilitate this I would suggest trying to integrate released games lists, not unlike the ISDN code entry for eBay (formerly from Half.com)- although those codes may not be necessary. People could just choose the game, whether it has a box (conditon), instructions (condition), game/disc condition, variant (ie GH or whatever) and then list from there. This could be used with auction text/descriptions as a way to standardize single game auctions for drill down of auction price histories. You could even have this type of database for multi-game auctions and just keep doing 'add game' or something. That is a huge one, but I think that gamers and collectors would enjoy following prices like stock trading.

I think that you have alot to gain with the site by trying to take the community approach that eBay has eschewed for lack of competition. I know it's overreaching, but even a level of social networking could be considered- like a Facebook applet or something.

just throwing it out there!

ian

Suggestions for the website:

On the auction pages, change the format so that the current bid is in bold and the time ending and hours left are in bold. Or enlarged. When I look at auctions, it takes me a few seconds to figure out where the important data is. Formatting should make the 3 most important things obvious, then the next few important things listed in order of importance. To me it's:

Seller name & feedback

Current Price (ie. High Bid)

Time Left/ Auction end

then

Shipping price

High bidder

Date listed

then

Other auctions by seller

Do they combine shipping?

I would also suggest that for bid history, you could even try a graph approach by day where the X axis is the days (i.e. for a 7 day auction there would be Day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) and the Y axis price and you could have each point with a line to the bidder name. If it's alot of work, maybe not worth it.

I would also suggest a comment section for each auction, which could be potentially edited or turned on and off by the seller (i.e. you could just make it so the seller can omit a comment, but I would suggest it look like this:

Rick Weis: Cool auction!

Ianoid: (Omitted by seller)

Rick Weis: Yeah, I know!

Rather than the seller being allowed to edit comments. Then you could filter for curse words, etc and of course allow you to omit/turn off comments).

I think this sort of commentary would make it more of a community. You could limit it to 200 characters. You could say no links or ads, whatever. You could make each comment subject to seller approval (or make approval an option as opposed to just editing)... Or you could just make it a free for all, but that would be sloppy.

Then I would also suggest never dropping auction histories and allowing for infinite research.

In order to facilitate this I would suggest trying to integrate released games lists, not unlike the ISDN code entry for eBay (formerly from Half.com)- although those codes may not be necessary. People could just choose the game, whether it has a box (conditon), instructions (condition), game/disc condition, variant (ie GH or whatever) and then list from there. This could be used with auction text/descriptions as a way to standardize single game auctions for drill down of auction price histories. You could even have this type of database for multi-game auctions and just keep doing 'add game' or something. That is a huge one, but I think that gamers and collectors would enjoy following prices like stock trading.

I think that you have alot to gain with the site by trying to take the community approach that eBay has eschewed for lack of competition. I know it's overreaching, but even a level of social networking could be considered- like a Facebook applet or something.

just throwing it out there!

ian

Those suggestions could possibly make Mike a millionaire. :cool:

Hey Mike, just a heads up. I won my first auction on CTCW and received two invoices. It was not clear how to make payment for the item. Maybe I have been dumbed down a bit by eBay, but I did not see any "pay now" button. I sent an email to the seller and have not recieved and response as of yet.

Dane

Hey Mike, just a heads up. I won my first auction on CTCW and received two invoices. It was not clear how to make payment for the item. Maybe I have been dumbed down a bit by eBay, but I did not see any "pay now" button. I sent an email to the seller and have not recieved and response as of yet.

Dane

PM Sent :)

Those are some brilliant suggestions.

I agree 100 percent with all of them!

As you all know, Ianoid is a wealth of good information. This is his second bullet list of improvments and I like them also. I will be forwarding his email to my developer and see what it would cost to implement some of these ideas. I will prioritize them most important to not as important and slowly pick these off one x one.

I agree wholeheartedly about creating a community environment on the Chuckwagon and will continue to do things to make that happen. So far the small things I have done (the free things) is putting some helpful banners and buttons/ resources and retro gaming conventions,etc. on the hompage.

I will let you all know what is going on with some of these modifiations. I will mention the formatting and then look at adding the item comments threads.

I really do appreciate everyones input, and please remember we haven't even been online 2 months :) Improvements will be fourthcoming.

Auction Talk 5/19/08. Lots of new information. Give it a listen. It takes a short while to open up so be patient :)

Check it out on the ChaseTheChuckwagon.com homepage or listen here:

http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/Auction%20Talk.mp3

Speaking of "Auction Talk". Do you guys/gals listen to it?

Edited by Parrothead

I love it! Advertising sales on a seller's website! A rival even!! I just checked and it shows no sign of being pulled. Way to advertise, Mike!!

I haven't listened because I am on a dialup lately (damnable phone company) so I have a small bandwidth to play with.

Nathan

Auction Talk 5/19/08. Lots of new information. Give it a listen. It takes a short while to open up so be patient :)

Check it out on the ChaseTheChuckwagon.com homepage or listen here:

http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/Auction%20Talk.mp3

Speaking of "Auction Talk". Do you guys/gals listen to it?

Yes!! I love it but of course I love the site and love to hear about the site... :cool:

I love it! Advertising sales on a seller's website! A rival even!! I just checked and it shows no sign of being pulled. Way to advertise, Mike!!

I haven't listened because I am on a dialup lately (damnable phone company) so I have a small bandwidth to play with.

Nathan

I was just thinking about this and really lots of people advertise their homepages that they sell on so I'm not sure what the precise rule is. For example I know go atari always advertises in his auctions. So I think unless someone meliciously reports it, ebay will let it run. But either way we will see....

BTW nice to see FND on board.... :)

BTW nice to see FND on board.... :)

Thanks, I plan on running a bunch of items. Gave the lifetime membership a shot

since I plan on listing many items like the 5200 protos and such.

Also have like a couple hundred boxed International Region A and B NES games

that I thought I would give a try They are all in like new condition and will work on

the NES top loaders and moded toaster, probably start them at 10.00 each no reserve

and let them go for whatever they bring

Oh I do plan on putting a link to the Chuckwagon on my ebay listings when I list :twisted:

FND

Well. They pulled them. Reasons: Keyword spamming, unrelated category (I guess selling an auction registration in a video game category) and one other one?? Can't remember.

I think I will relist it but this time -- Auction off an atari cartridge w/ the membership. Then I wonder what they could say? Think I will try it now :)

Ok. Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270239476145

Edited by Parrothead

Cool, here's hoping they let it run this time.

Meanwhile, a couple questions:

1. How much $ in sales would I have to do before I recouped my $50?

2. Are you trying to turn this into another "E.T. isn't such a bad game" thread? :D

Our fees are such, that it would actually take a while, but that obvisouly depends on how much you want to sell and if the items are harder to find, potentially bigger ticket items. You can click here to see our fees and maybe you could make an educated guess:

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/html/sellers_guide.htm

Hope that helps :)

Cool, here's hoping they let it run this time.

Meanwhile, a couple questions:

1. How much $ in sales would I have to do before I recouped my $50?

2. Are you trying to turn this into another "E.T. isn't such a bad game" thread? :D

I can tell you as a seller, on ebay and now the CW, that on ebay you would burn through 50.00 in fees in anywhere from 200-400 dollars of sales depending on the number of auctions and the number of options and such you select. On the CW it would take you a while to get to the fifty dollars in fees because the rates are much lower and more seller friendly on the CW, but it is well worth every penny.

I can give you real world numbers from my recent or nearly ended auctions.

I sold roughly 200.00 in auctions on the CW.

My CW fees would of been around 10 - 12 dollars.

If I had sold the same auctions on ebay and kept everything as close in options and such my ebay fees would of been between 35-40 dollars.

On average I have found the fee structure to be roughly 70 percent savings over ebay. Pretty nice setup I thinkk....

Well. They pulled them. Reasons: Keyword spamming, unrelated category (I guess selling an auction registration in a video game category) and one other one?? Can't remember.

I think I will relist it but this time -- Auction off an atari cartridge w/ the membership. Then I wonder what they could say? Think I will try it now :)

Ok. Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=270239476145

Yeah I saw the auction get pulled. THe reason they pulled it was due to the use of atari and the other one you had in the description. You are only allowed to describe things actually in your auction. SO if you throw in any atari cart with it you will be fine. I used to get around the spamming by always adding a combat cart to any videogame thing I was selling and as long as the actual cart was included you can use it in the description. Good luck

I just listed my first auctions, and I have to say it couldn't have been easier unless someone typed everything for me! And that was even on lots of cold medicine, lol, and never listing any auctions before on any site. I worry about details and really those who reassured me were right - there was nothing to worry about. :)

The $50 lifetime membership is a huge bargain IMO and there's even a $5 new seller credit. Thank you, I can't wait to really get selling.

I also can't stop laughing at the auction on Ebay, glad you did list, lol. It's great. :D

Edited by Chickybaby

I just listed my first auctions, and I have to say it couldn't have been easier unless someone typed everything for me! And that was even on lots of cold medicine, lol, and never listing any auctions before on any site. I worry about details and really those who reassured me were right - there was nothing to worry about. :)

The $50 lifetime membership is a huge bargain IMO and there's even a $5 new seller credit. Thank you, I can't wait to really get selling.

I also can't stop laughing at the auction on Ebay, glad you did list, lol. It's great. :D

Welcome to the CW, hope you learn to love it as much as I have in the 3 weeks I've been selling there....

Sweet, that solves my PayPal issues. :cool: And I can leave feedback now, for some reason. LOL :D

I am shocked that people aren't even bothering to look at Multi Lock On, that's the only one I can make and Mathias did a hell of a job getting that to fit inside 512K. :?