Atari XC1411 Monitor for the 130XE

32 replies to this topic

#1 Sean39 OFFLINE  

Sean39

Moonsweeper

• 280 posts
  • Atari 800 systems

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:50 PM

I need to know if anyone has seen the Atari XC1411 Monitor for the 130XE Computer????? If so how can I get one???
It would be the same color as the 130XE computer. I have already found the XC12 tape drive that the same color as the 130XE computer.
The tape drive was brand new and never used and works perfect on saving and loading programs.

Now doeas anyone have the XF551 disk drive for sale??? I hope that the correct drive for the 130XE computer. I was told it the same color
as the Atari 130XE computer. Does anyone have this drive also with the 3.5 floppy built in with the 5.25 floppy??? Well again like I said
I am trying to get this computer set up correctly.

Email me to if you want to....

Thanks ,
Sean39

#2 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4*****

• 5,512 posts
  • (Bubsy Bobcat fan)

Posted Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:38 PM

Being of the beige persuation in the Atari 800 realm, I understand the need for cases being alike. :D

Good luck in finding all you are seeking. What is this monitor you are talking about? Some Atari video monitor with a short run? An ST monitor?

#3 Mathy OFFLINE  

Mathy

Stargunner

• 1,704 posts

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:16 AM

Hello Sean

The XC1411 monitor is very rare. I'm not sure if it got to the prototype stage and if it did, if it got further then that.

You can find an XF551 via Ebay and maybe Best Electronics, B & C Computervision or Video61.

Greetings

Mathy

#4 Sean39 OFFLINE  

Sean39

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 280 posts
  • Atari 800 systems

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:16 PM

Hi Again

It went past the Prototype stage and I do know it is rare. I think they used them in store displays. For the other person it not an ST monitor.
It was the grey color monitor that the exact color of the Atari 130XE computer it may be similiar in the same style of the ST monitors,but
Does not use the same cord for hooking up. It was a Composite monitor with Chroma and Luma inputs also....Like the Commodore 1702 monitor.
Except it was no beige color, but the famous grey color Atari used for the ATARI 130XE computer with the RED Atari LOGO color and silver
metal color that said XC1411 . Anyways it went past the prototype stage and did make it into stores.... Please email me if anyone has this montor..
I want to buy it.... I want the whole Atari 130XE setup to be perfect even if it cost me alot of money. Again I am looking for the

ATARI XC1411 Monitor .....For the Atari 130XE Computer...

Email me if you have it please !!!!!!

Sean

Edited by Sean39, Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:18 PM.

#5 Sean39 OFFLINE  

Sean39

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 280 posts
  • Atari 800 systems

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 PM

Everyone

I need anyone and everyone to help me find this monitor, and tell me who will sell this monitor to me....

It the ATARI XC1411 Monitor......... Grey in color and has the red logo of ATARI and silver XC1411 on the front of it...

Please look and email me or post me a message on this board.....

Thanks Sean

#6 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,433 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 AM

Dude put down the crack pipe, you are hard pressed to find this monitor, and if you do who'll sell it to you? I know I wouldn't ;)

Edited by tjlazer, Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:24 AM.

#7 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 12,538 posts

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:35 AM

Monitors are monitors. Just get a beige one and spray it.

And, I feel that posting requests then expecting someone to email you is a bit rich. As far as I'm concerned, if someone asks a question or request on a forum, they should at least put in the effort to check that thread for a reply rather than expecting someone else to message them.

#8 MEtalGuy66 OFFLINE  

MEtalGuy66

River Patroller

• 2,589 posts
  • If it aint broke, fix it anyway!

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:25 AM

Ok Sean..

Since that monitor is listed as extremely rare on all of the Atari Collector Web sites, and as a PROTOTYPE ONLY on most of them... I really doubt a collector that has one will sell ti to you at a reasonable price..

if you really dont care what it costs,

I will build you an EXACT WORKING REPLICA of this monitor for $500,000.00US...

I'll take $100,000.00 up front... The rest on delivery, and subject to your satisfaction. As I said, it will be an EXACT PERFECT REPLICA, built from the ground up, even using the same type of plastic used on the XE series.. It will be functionally identicle, and indistinguishable, even by an expert..

Please contact me at kjones66@earthlink.net to discuss bank transfer details.

Thanks,

Ken

#9 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

• 5,512 posts
  • (Bubsy Bobcat fan)

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:26 AM

I'll take $100,000.00 up front... The rest on delivery, and subject to your satisfaction. As I said, it will be an EXACT PERFECT REPLICA, built from the ground up, even using the same type of plastic used on the XE series.. It will be functionally identicle, and indistinguishable, even by an expert..

LOL Metalguy...

If I were you, I would get a ST monitor, gut it out, and put a video monitor in it that would fit in the casing.

I have one such ST monitor if you want to pay for shipping. It is one of the larger ST monitor cases.

I believe there have also been hacks to adapt the RGB monitor to the A/V of the 8 bit computers. If this has gone anywhere, then no moditfication would be needed.

Youre quest for the XC1411 reminds me of when I got a TT030 monitor that had a base that matched the TT030, but one of the color jets was out. Kinda reminded me how fragile some of these monitors are.

Then there was this idiot that had a TT030 but got ahold of one of the rare high res monitors while in California. You know the type you normally need to run the TT030 in TT-High mode. He said "I had no room to bring it back so I gave it to Goodwill".

I could have thumped him in the forehead 300 times repeatedly for doing something so stoopid.

The monitors are nice. They match, and there are plenty of cases to work with. But in the end they are only monitors.

With my Atari 800 I use a old 40" A/V television that is covered in duct tape to keep the fragile case together. but awesome monitor!! :D I like beige stuff, but in the end, it pays to not be a complete color snob sometimes and use newer stuff.

Edited by doctorclu, Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:27 AM.

#10 rdea6 OFFLINE  

rdea6

Stargunner

• 1,643 posts

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:47 AM

Sean,
I have to agree with doctorclu. And if you don't want the Monitor I send I would be glad to have it back.

#11 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 PM

Sean...If you want an XF551...Ask metalguy66...he seems to have a whole hoard of them....(Perhaps he's been manufacturing them on the quiet without atari's knopwledge)

Edited by carmel_andrews, Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 PM.

#12 Philsan ONLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 2,738 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 PM

I too would like an Atari monitor designed for 400/800, XL or XE computers.
XC1411 is perfect for Atari 130XE but unfortunately only a rare prototype:
XC1411.jpg
Perhaps if you offer a lot of money you can find one.
In the meantime, you can buy a grey LCD TV/monitor like mine
Atari130XE.jpg
and connect it to the computer using an s-video cable for maximum quality.

Edited by Philsan, Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:15 PM.

#13 Philsan ONLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 2,738 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 PM

DOUBLE POST

Edited by Philsan, Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:13 PM.

#14 FastRobPlus OFFLINE  

FastRobPlus

Stargunner

• 1,472 posts

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:02 PM

One of the threads here on AA mentions combining the plastics from one Atari ST SC1435 monitor (one of the rarer ones) with the internals of the mark II Commodore 1084. The resulting unit has the Atari grey plastics and design that match the ST/XE but the required composite video input of the 1084, and the whole thing looks stock. The only issue is the Atari logo on the monitor is blue, but even this could be corrected if you really wanted to.

*edit* Ah, the thread is here: XE monitor thread

Just an FYI - My final solution was to ditch the XE gear alltogether and get an Atari 800 with 810 drives and a matching Amdek Color I monitor. There is no other "official" monitor solution for a complete Atari 8-bit setup.
I realsise the Amdek is not Atari, but it is a perfect match for the 800 and Apple II plastics and design.

If an XC1411 does ever come up for auction, I will bid $700-$800, but I expect to be outbid on it. You may want to save your pennies if you are set on getting one of these if/wehn someone decides to sell.

#15 MEtalGuy66 OFFLINE  

MEtalGuy66

River Patroller

• 2,589 posts

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:31 PM

One of the threads here on AA mentions combining the plastics from one Atari ST SC1435 monitor (one of the rarer ones) with the internals of the mark II Commodore 1084. The resulting unit has the Atari grey plastics and design that match the ST/XE but the required composite video input of the 1084, and the whole thing looks stock. The only issue is the Atari logo on the monitor is blue, but even this could be corrected if you really wanted to.

*edit* Ah, the thread is here: XE monitor thread

Just an FYI - My final solution was to ditch the XE gear alltogether and get an Atari 800 with 810 drives and a matching Amdek Color I monitor. There is no other "official" monitor solution for a complete Atari 8-bit setup.
I realsise the Amdek is not Atari, but it is a perfect match for the 800 and Apple II plastics and design.

If an XC1411 does ever come up for auction, I will bid $700-$800, but I expect to be outbid on it. You may want to save your pennies if you are set on getting one of these if/wehn someone decides to sell.

Not only that, if you READ what is written by the collectors on the web who actually HAVE the XC1411, they say it was actually an ST monitor case, repainted (the slightly different shade of) XE grey, with Goldstar guts. These units were almost certainly built on a very limited and specialized production run, just to have something for press pictures of the XE systems, and also for events like the CES shows.. ATARI couldnt very well display their new line of 8-bit computers to the public with a trashy TV set, or COMMODORE monitor...

As far as hacking another monitor's guts into an ST monitor case goes, That SC1435 does look like it was made to accomadate similar internals to the 1084s. But even the SM124 has a pretty large case enclosure, and you could easily put the guts of one of the more compact color composite input monitors into that case, with the right modifications.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...A:IT&ih=023
http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...A:IT&ih=011

I could probably "merge" these 2 into an "XE looking" monitor without too much of a problem.. But then it wouldnt be "an original ATARI production" monitor.. But NIETHER WAS the XC1411! The few models that were made were basically functional "mach-ups" used for advertising purposes.. If they had actually produced and sold the XC1411, it would almost certainly have been made in a more production oriented fashion, and would probably have a different case and internals entirely..

#16 FastRobPlus OFFLINE  

FastRobPlus

Stargunner

• 1,472 posts

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:58 PM

But even the SM124 has a pretty large case enclosure, and you could easily put the guts of one of the more compact color composite input monitors into that case, with the right modifications.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...A:IT&ih=023
http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...A:IT&ih=011

I could probably "merge" these 2 into an "XE looking" monitor without too much of a problem.. But then it wouldnt be "an original ATARI production" monitor.. But NIETHER WAS the XC1411! The few models that were made were basically functional "mach-ups" used for advertising purposes.. If they had actually produced and sold the XC1411, it would almost certainly have been made in a more production oriented fashion, and would probably have a different case and internals entirely..

Too funny! I gave RE PC the monitor in your second link!

#17 MEtalGuy66 OFFLINE  

MEtalGuy66

River Patroller

• 2,589 posts

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 AM

ANother option:

Get a commodore 64... You can easily find all "matching" hardware for it..

#18 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

• 5,512 posts
  • (Bubsy Bobcat fan)

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 AM

Another beige owner! I have a Mustek monitor that matches my 800 nicely... but I'd rather have the 40" monitor. :D

But you do have me thinking... I was looking at my thread I started a ways back about CX-8XX numbers for the beige series...

http://www.atariage....s...3354&hl=820

And this has me wondering what it would be like to make monitor for a "what if" Atari made a official monitor for the Atari 800. Give it the style of the 800 and color, and make a special label and CX number for it. That could be fun.

I once made a 890 case for the Atari 800... (based on the proto type 1090xl idea) and I used a beige IBM AT computer case, outfitted it with an Atari sticker and label. Looked pretty good. On the inside was the extension to my Atari 800, which was a Atari 1040 STE which I used at the time for virtual drives (800XLDJ), and other serial functions. That was a fun little thing to try. Now days I simply use SIO2SD. :D Now I need to make a beige case for that. Or not. Part of me wonders if I should just work it into the Atari 800 side or something and really not sure how to make that better looking yet.

Oh back to the grey line... there was a time where I had my 1040 STE working with a XEGS. My 1040 STE was my main machine, and my XEGS I looked at being my "8-bit compatibility box" which I would use to load games from the STE by virtual drives (again 800XLDJ) onto the XEGS. Actually worked out pretty good. I had all matching grey everything. Looked good sprawling across my desk side by side.

#19 FastRobPlus OFFLINE  

FastRobPlus

Stargunner

• 1,472 posts

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:01 AM

Got any pictures of those old setups? They would be neat to see!

#20 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

• 5,512 posts
  • (Bubsy Bobcat fan)

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:10 PM

Got any pictures of those old setups? They would be neat to see!

No pics of the 890, I do have a fuzzy pic of the grey setup somewhere... :D

#21 Bryan OFFLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 8,438 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:32 PM

I use an 800XL with the nicely matching Teknika MJ-10 14" monitor.

#22 Sean39 OFFLINE  

Sean39

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 280 posts
  • Atari 800 systems

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:51 PM

Thanks

Everyone for your help, and I will try to put a monitor together from different ones. The ideals that everyone has is great, and I have not
read anything on how rare the ATARI XC1411 monitor was. Again this really helps, and I had no ideal that monitor was so rare.

For now I will just try and make a monitor that looks like an XE monitor....,but later on if a real XC1411 monitor comes up I would
like to have one for a collectors item. I am guessing by everyone post on this subject that getting one is goinmg to be very hard to do.
Well Again thank you everyone.

Thank You and GOD BLESS
Sean39

#23 Fres OFFLINE  

Fres

Dragonstomper

• 662 posts

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:13 PM

I used to have a composite NTSC monitor that was XE gray. I mean, it was REALLY the same color as the 130XE. I believe the brand was Thompson (or maybe Thomson). I don't think it was related to RCA Thompson. Either way, it had a great picture. I often wondered why its color matched the XE, but I never found out. It also had an RGB option whihc made it great for SIO2PC setups. It was 12" or 13" which is fine for most XE work. However, nowadays, I prefer a TV with composite input. Wish I had one of those when I was writing papers for school in the early to mid 80s.

Oh yeah, the monitor was given to a recycler about 5 yrs ago. Nice guy. Probably still sitting in his den.

#24 TheGreatPW OFFLINE  

TheGreatPW

Chopper Commander

• 114 posts

Posted Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:47 PM

I need to know if anyone has seen the Atari XC1411 Monitor for the 130XE Computer????? If so how can I get one???
It would be the same color as the 130XE computer. I have already found the XC12 tape drive that the same color as the 130XE computer.
The tape drive was brand new and never used and works perfect on saving and loading programs.

Now doeas anyone have the XF551 disk drive for sale??? I hope that the correct drive for the 130XE computer. I was told it the same color
as the Atari 130XE computer. Does anyone have this drive also with the 3.5 floppy built in with the 5.25 floppy??? Well again like I said
I am trying to get this computer set up correctly.

Email me to if you want to....

Thanks ,
Sean39

The only time I remember seeing the prototype for sale was via B&C Computervision (B&C Computervision) in one of their catalogs in the late 90s. The opportunity to find this monitor prototype for sale via a website or store has probably long passed. You can probably still find the XF551 disk drive for sale via their website though.

#25 David_P OFFLINE  

David_P

Moonsweeper

• 460 posts

Posted Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:27 AM

I have an "Atari XE Game System" green monitor. When a lightgun gave up the ghost, I took the Atari label from its side and glued it on to a Tandy green monitor...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users