IGNORED

Shining Force

Do we have any fans of the Shining Force games here?

I adore them and have played SF1 and 2 for Sega Genesis over and over again. I really like the RPG mechanics of buying equipment and levelling up your characters combined with the war simulator aspect where your force takes on an entire division of baddies.

I've never played any of the Shining Force Game Gear titles though nor have I played SF CD for Sega CD or SF3 for Saturn.

IMO, Shining Force is a bit better than Sa Ga and both top Final Fantasy. I like them all, but there's something about Shining Force that is better.

I've played Shining Force II, Shining Force III, Shining the Holy Ark (a must own for anyone with a Saturn), and Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya (I believe the Japanese version is called Shining Force Gaiden II, and it's a whole different game from the Genny SFII)

There's kind of this excitement for me as my characters get closer to learning that next devastating spell, or as I get closer to the next great item (like the Mithril Claw for Doyle). Then the strategy aspect adds to it some, too, where you're looking to get one character within range to hit three or four enemies with lightning.

SF3 still has the strategy RPG part, but the Saturn's load times disrupt the flow of battles a lot. I didn't like it as much as the others I've played. I played only a bit of SFII, and I still need to sit down with it. Actually, scrub that, someone sell me a Nomad, so I can play SFII on the go!

Don't get me started on Shining the Holy Ark. I enjoyed it so much that when Sep 7th, 1997 came about, my pre ordered copy of Final Fantasy 7 went from the store to my house, where it sat completely ignored by me until I finished Shining the Holy Ark. When I switched games finally, FF7 seemed to drag a little bit. Shining the Holy Ark is a very upbeat game, and that keeps even the mundane random encounters exciting enough that I fight over 90% of the time. Let's put it this way...I fought enough battles to get three Kusanagi weapons and a red dagger. Yes, the instant kills for Rodi and Akane (especailly Akane, with her speed), and the new special for Arthur were well worth my time!

I've never played any of the Shining Force Game Gear titles though nor have I played SF CD for Sega CD or SF3 for Saturn.

Shining Force CD is basically 2 Game Gear games put on CD. So if you do play it, don't expect gameplay such as in SF1 and SF2. There is no exploration. It is all: Battle, Buy stuff and save, maybe a 'cut scene' and repeat.

I wish that they would develop more games of the style of Shining Force 1 & 2.

JY

I'm a fan of all the Shining Force games, and I own almost all of them. In fact I just picked up Shining Force Neo and EXA for $19 each NIB at Gamestop last week. I know these are action oriented games, but they look like fun. I haven't tried Shining Tears yet, but I hear it isn't that good.

Tempest

Shining force along with the rest of SEGA RPG gaming is just Y's run-off. Ever since the first Y's ( which started the commercial gaming boom ) all SEGA Rpg's have been he exact same thing uptill the Dreamcast which is pretty much the Saturn.

I was starting to get into it. I mean really crazy get into it. I have a couple of the games, played threw some of the roms, and such but I don't have the time.

Does the Saturn game links together or they seperate games?

Also a big fact that lots of people ignore is that Shining Force is realy Golden Sun...Vise Versa. I was going crazy over that game ( having that Tales Of Phantasia was at the top of my list ) after I discovered the sound composer is the same person who worked with the Tales/Star Ocean Series and more importantly was doing work for the Shinging series.

I think I am missing some of the alternative games of the shining series along with the Game Gear series.

SF3 still has the strategy RPG part, but the Saturn's load times disrupt the flow of battles a lot. I didn't like it as much as the others I've played

That makes no sense, the load times is quite fast on the Saturn, even moving from area to area.

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya

That game is a port of the Second game like Final Fantasy Adventure but is changed around as a extension story to make it look intresting. Think of it like a prodigy.

Shining Force that is better

Shing Force is Y's and Saga is Final Fantasy if it was in a random DAD state.

Shining force along with the rest of SEGA RPG gaming is just Y's run-off. Ever since the first Y's ( which started the commercial gaming boom ) all SEGA Rpg's have been he exact same thing uptill the Dreamcast which is pretty much the Saturn.

Not sure that I follow you, but look at the other RPGs for the Genesis:

Phantasy Star series

Shining In the Darkness

Sword of Vermilion

Legend of Oasis

Beggar Prince

Shining Force series

They are all different. Same thing with those for the Saturn. SF3, Shining the Holy Ark, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc.

Also a big fact that lots of people ignore is that Shining Force is realy Golden Sun...Vise Versa.

I think that many people ignore it because it is not true. I have played most of the Shining Force games and both of the Golden Sun games and I can assure you that they are not the same. I don't remember ever having Psynergy in any of the Shining Force games that I played.

Shing Force is Y's and Saga is Final Fantasy if it was in a random DAD state.

I have absolutely no idea what that is supposed to mean.

JY

Not sure that I follow you, but look at the other RPGs for the Genesis:

Phantasy Star series

Shining In the Darkness

Sword of Vermilion

Legend of Oasis

Beggar Prince

Shining Force series

Nope not really. They are all Y's prodigies, just play around with the original Y's for awhile and check the version screens. After awhile you will see they are all the same thing. The only thing diffrent is something that stenches of Conan.

It is the same exact game. Just replace the main character with Adol and put on the Y's music in the background.

Panzer Dragoon

Is it's own game series like Secret Of Mana but a shooter and while there is some portion of Y's in it. It is primarily the original Phantasy Star story bt edited.

Panzer Dragon is like the world of Phantasy Star after a post apocolyptic war of some sort.

I think that many people ignore it because it is not true.

It is the same exact game, music, background, titling, and even senario and gameplay. The only diffrence is the turn based combat that has been popular over the years.

I have played most of the Shining Force games and both of the Golden Sun games and I can assure you that they are not the same.

Reallllllllllllyyyyy... right now if you play "The Ark" and "Golden Sun Part 1" you will see there is no diffrence aside from the battle screen and presentation. Forget the names, words, and history. Just imagine the senario with the same set of characters.

It is the same game, made by the same people, only a slightly diffrent setup.

I don't remember ever having Psynergy in any of the Shining Force games that I played.

They just used another name for it and next your going to tell me how Dragon Force has nothing to do with Shining Force.

I have absolutely no idea what that is supposed to mean.

If Final Fantay had no itnitial task it would be like the SaGa series. Just wandering about doing tasks, killing enemies, getting booty, and then save the world by accident.

Edited by Red_Queen

I have played most of the Shining Force games and both of the Golden Sun games and I can assure you that they are not the same.

Reallllllllllllyyyyy... right now if you play "The Ark" and "Golden Sun Part 1" you will see there is no diffrence aside from the battle screen and presentation. Forget the names, words, and history. Just imagine the senario with the same set of characters.

It is the same game, made by the same people, only a slightly diffrent setup.

I don't remember ever having Psynergy in any of the Shining Force games that I played.

They just used another name for it and next your going to tell me how Dragon Force has nothing to do with Shining Force.

Well, I thought that I may have been a little off since I have not spent much time playing any of the Ys games, but when I saw these quotes, I realized that I was either dealing with a troll, someone who is clueless, or worse yet, a clueless troll.

JY

I know much about the Shining Force series which is Golden Sun, and that I have not to prove it to you. Just play the game side by side.

Ys games

It is the same exact series, With Dogi, the goddesses, and even the Dact Facto. They just over lapped the names, and changed things around. It is like how Miyamoto was inspired by other games to create various objects in his games.

Edited by Red_Queen

Red Queen, have you ever posted on cheapassgamer.com? Your posting style looks very familiar.

Seems quite familiar to me as well. In fact a lot of the posts from the person in question have much in common with the DP (ex)member known as Rugal Sizzler.

Red Queen, have you ever posted on cheapassgamer.com? Your posting style looks very familiar.

Seems quite familiar to me as well. In fact a lot of the posts from the person in question have much in common with the DP (ex)member known as Rugal Sizzler.

Oh, did Rugal smoke weed too?

AX

I have no clue about that but he seemed to be "on something". There were definite "issues" present.

The guy I'm thinking of has been banned a few times from CAG as well.

Shining Force CD is basically 2 Game Gear games put on CD. So if you do play it, don't expect gameplay such as in SF1 and SF2. There is no exploration. It is all: Battle, Buy stuff and save, maybe a 'cut scene' and repeat.

I wish that they would develop more games of the style of Shining Force 1 & 2.

JY

You are correct about Shining Force CD except that it has a third game after beating the first 2. The 3rd game is brand new for Shining Force CD. Basicly you get 3 Shining Force games on one CD.

I know, but it is still the same basic type of play, is it not? If you are into emulators, they have translated the Game Gear ROM for Shining Force 3, The Final Conflict.

JY

The gameplay is the same you are correct. I just wanted to point out that their was a 3rd game on Shining Force CD that was original, for those people that have not played it. The graphics are also obviously better on the Sega CD then the Game Gear, so that's a plus.

Huge fan of Shining Force here. I've played through the Genesis versions back in the day, but found I preferred the Sega CD versions with no Role Playing/Town walking. It's fun to do that sometimes, but at the end of the day what I like about Shining Force it the strategy combat element. So it's nice to go directly to that with minimal b.s.

And while I like Shining Force, I'm basically a sucker for any of those types of games such as Military Madness, Vandal Hearts, Advance Wars, etc. (although not so much FF Tactics with it's tedious job system).

And who the heck thinks Shining Force is like Y's?? What in the heck... are you talking in concept/visual design? Because they sure as hell aint the same in gameplay.

are you talking in concept/visual design? Because they sure as hell aint the same in gameplay.

Thanks for bringing that up. In terms of concept that is all that matters ( if you can understand what concept is ) where as there is inspiration, dreams, and combined knowledge concept and that sight of concept is what makes anything usefull. Like Einstein might have invented in the nuclear bomb in theory but he has never built one himself in his own backyard. One day somebody will rob your journal/dairies and see your concepts and drink them in exchange for prosperity.

Here is something that might change your mind by visual. Alias_One from Phantasy Star is really Taarna from Heavy Metal.

uuuiz0.jpg

Just by that alone and researh you can see how Y's have influenced even SEGA during that time.

Y's

It is kinda funny since there was alot of works of fiction that was being based off the real Y's like Windaria for example. You can probably thank the Conan series for this along with Regan's Speech of looking to the past.

It has nothing to do with gameplay aside from you walk around the place and hask and slash to turn based. I had a dream about a game and found out somebody had the same idea but an entirely diffrent concept and way of presentation.

Shining Force is Y's no diffrent then any other works that has inspiration or even combined truths.

Edited by Red_Queen

are you talking in concept/visual design? Because they sure as hell aint the same in gameplay.

Thanks for bringing that up. In terms of concept that is all that matters ( if you can understand what concept is ) where as there is inspiration, dreams, and combined knowledge concept and that sight of concept is what makes anything usefull. Like Einstein might have invented in the nuclear bomb in theory but he has never built one himself in his own backyard. One day somebody will rob your journal/dairies and see your concepts and drink them in exchange for prosperity.

Here is something that might change your mind by visual. Alias_One from Phantasy Star is really Taarna from Heavy Metal.

uuuiz0.jpg

Just by that alone and researh you can see how Y's have influenced even SEGA during that time.

Y's

It is kinda funny since there was alot of works of fiction that was being based off the real Y's like Windaria for example. You can probably thank the Conan series for this along with Regan's Speech of looking to the past.

It has nothing to do with gameplay aside from you walk around the place and hask and slash to turn based. I had a dream about a game and found out somebody had the same idea but an entirely diffrent concept and way of presentation.

Shining Force is Y's no diffrent then any other works that has inspiration or even combined truths.

The only similarity they have is that they are both girls. Not only that but the storyles have nothing in common. I don't see where you are coming from.

Ah, but Adol was just the re-envisioning of Jody from Family Affair. Its true because they both have red hair and lived with Mr. French. Well Adol didn't live with Mr French, it was Dogi, but I think you get the point. Actually I think Shining Force and Burning Rangers were also Family Affair in spirit but not in dreams - that was NiGHts.

EDIT: Oh and they both smiled and I think Jody's sister was a Tarakian - but she didn't have a PAnzer Dragoon like that hot chick from Shining Force/Phantasy Star/HEavy Metal - now I don't remember.

post-697-1213677373.png

post-697-1213677386_thumb.jpg

Sut the hemtp up lost monkey and get lost. Adol is his own creation and I am not talking about the origin of Adol. Adol could be a link rip-off for all I care. There is nobody from any human lore that can describe Adol's Bright firey red hair. He is also not a kid but a fully grown man.

The person who created Adol was probably imagining a warrior with bright red hair along with standard stuff you see in various fantasy images. Maybe even Red Sonja but in most cases a diverge of Conan.

This is about Y's being the helm for all that is SEGA rpg dum....

7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. SEVEN man! That's the number! Seven chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea?

It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office!

Sut the hemtp up lost monkey and get lost. Adol is his own creation and I am not talking about the origin of Adol. Adol could be a link rip-off for all I care. There is nobody from any human lore that can describe Adol's Bright firey red hair. He is also not a kid but a fully grown man.

The person who created Adol was probably imagining a warrior with bright red hair along with standard stuff you see in various fantasy images. Maybe even Red Sonja but in most cases a diverge of Conan.

This is about Y's being the helm for all that is SEGA rpg dum....

I was already wearing my hemp suit and am lost, geez it's been my custom status for 6 years!

Adol is referred to as a boy many times in the Ys series. Mr. French is referred to as a butler many times in the Family Affair series. Dogi shows up and helps at opportune times - kinda like a good butler.

I am a fan of Ys, but this does not mean that I think Ys is the "helm for all that is SEGA rpg dum." There were plenty of fantasy imaginings before Ys (ever heard of Electra Woman and Dyna Girl or Les Stroumpfs?) and it is possible that Shining Force and Phantasy Star and Outrun were all based on those thinkamajigs and not on the diverge of Conan of Ys.

RPGs are full of stereotypes. I am not Error.

• Like 1