IGNORED

Synapse artist Tim Boxell - FOUND!

Bryan

I recently sent an email to Steve Hales (Slime, Fort Apocalypse, Dimension X) and asked him about Tim Boxell who did all that cool artwork for Synapse games. I suggested Tim should release a book of it all. This is part of the response I got from Steve:

I never met Tim Boxell directly, and doing a search finds a few Tim's, so

I'm not sure which one is the correct one. All I know is that he lived in

Berkeley CA in the 80's, which is where Synapse was founded.

I also wish he'd reprint the Synapse art as a book, that's a great idea. He

does own the artwork I believe.

Anyone know where Tim might be today?

-Bry

Edited by Bryan

You could say the same thing about Roger Dean...He did all the Psygnosis (Liverpool, UK) artwork, both the graphics in the manuals as well as the static screens on most psygnosis games before they (psygnosis) were bought out by SCEE (Sony)

Yeah, but I know how to contact Dean. Plus, he already has several books out.

• 3 weeks later...
You could say the same thing about Roger Dean...He did all the Psygnosis (Liverpool, UK) artwork, both the graphics in the manuals as well as the static screens on most psygnosis games before they (psygnosis) were bought out by SCEE (Sony)

Yeah, but I know how to contact Dean. Plus, he already has several books out.

Hey Mr. Boxell!

Any chance of the artwork ever being made available? I'd buy a book of it just to see nice high quality versions (heck, I'd hang prints of it all over my room if I could). Synapse boxes were always the best looking. I bet between the Atari, Commodore and Apple communities, we could get a decent list of interested parties!

Also, any interesting stories from those days? How'd you get involved with Synapse?

-Bry

Edited by Bryan

Here's what I think...

If Tim were willing to offer prints of his work and we could get the news up on Digg or Slashdot, he'd be flooded with orders. The majority of the guys who read those sites played these games as a kid.

I recently sent an email to Steve Hales (Slime, Fort Apocalypse, Dimension X) and asked him about Tim Boxell who did all that cool artwork for Synapse games. I suggested Tim should release a book of it all. This is part of the response I got from Steve:

I never met Tim Boxell directly, and doing a search finds a few Tim's, so

I'm not sure which one is the correct one. All I know is that he lived in

Berkeley CA in the 80's, which is where Synapse was founded.

I also wish he'd reprint the Synapse art as a book, that's a great idea. He

does own the artwork I believe.

Anyone know where Tim might be today?

-Bry

Hi,

Love to get the paintings/prints out to those of you who are interested.

There's another cover that was actually my favorite, but that hasn't ever been seen because the game was never finished.

"Reptilian" is pretty weird and cool, I think. I also liked a few of the color ad paintings that ran in Antic and other mags of the time.

A couple of the covers I did were included in an expensive CGI illustrated book called "Machine Phase: Booby Trap" printed by Ballistic Press. We have a sequel graphic novel coming together very slowly, something I co-wrote and laid out (114 pages in pencil...).

Boxell

Roger Dean did release an art book, but mainly about his artwork for the Asia, Yes, and War of the Worlds book he did. Amazing artist!!!

Hi,

There's another cover that was actually my favorite, but that hasn't ever been seen because the game was never finished.

"Reptilian" is pretty weird and cool, I think. I also liked a few of the color ad paintings that ran in Antic and other mags of the time.

A couple of the covers I did were included in an expensive CGI illustrated book called "Machine Phase: Booby Trap" printed by Ballistic Press. We have a sequel graphic novel coming together very slowly, something I co-wrote and laid out (114 pages in pencil...).

Boxell

Holy smack!! That is why I love this place. How DID you find this place?

But yeh, sounds like you have a possible money maker... an artbook of your video game art.

Very cool! We can spread the words to other sites if you'd like to see how much interest we can drum up.

-Bry

Hi,

Boxell

Hey Commodore guys (TMR, sack, Oswald, etc...)

Can you spread the word about this on some of the 64 sites?

Also, can everyone post what their preference would be (maybe top 5?).

1. Zeppelin

2. Necromancer

3. Ft. Apocalypse

4. Blue Max

5. Nautilus

This is based on what I have pictures of so far. If anyone has links to other covers, please post (Alley Cat? Shadow World?)!

-Bry

Edited by Bryan

Picnic Paranoia is missing:

post-43-1218517314_thumb.jpg

Someone else did the artwork for Sentinel right? Best scan I saw for this one appeared to have someone else's sig on it. That artwork was used on the pirated Zeller's release of Turmoil. I hadn't seen this catalog before and didn't realize where the original art came from.

My personal favorite of the artwork shown above is Zeppelin.

How about Dodge Racer? Is that Boxell?