IGNORED

That God Damn Bagman

cougar302b

Anyone ever finish the 1st level? I am a pretty good gamer. I could always get (with a little practice) fairly far in every game I played, but Bagman seemed nearly impossible to me, even the first round! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone ever got past the first round. If so, what's next?

Yeah and so can you.. just play it in mame and activate the cheats.

But what happens is a small cutscene where bagman chases the dudes with the pickaxe on the bottom of the screen (and I believe nails them so the stars come out).. it sucks, and is nothing you haven't seen before. Then the whole level starts all over again.

I got past the first level. I can make it two the second maybe the third. I forget. Definitely the second. I might be thinking of Super Bagman, though. In Super Bagman you can drop money bags on their heads. Dunno if you can do that in regular Bagman, but it might help you.

I've cleared the first round of Bagman, Super Bagman...no. I get four of the five screens cleared then the trouble starts with the fifth screen cause of that elevator and you have to waste a lotta time crossing back if you get killed. Using the gun makes things worse cause they start shooting back.

I got past the first level. I can make it two the second maybe the third. I forget. Definitely the second. I might be thinking of Super Bagman, though. In Super Bagman you can drop money bags on their heads. Dunno if you can do that in regular Bagman, but it might help you.

When you talk about the 1st level or are you talking about each individual screen? Or all 3? To me, this is the 1st level, which consists of 3 screens. If you can clear all 3 screens of them TWICE (or heck, even once) without turning on a cheat like invincibility my hat is off to you :)

post-31-1216738936_thumb.jpg

Oh and I went ahead and made an animated GIF of what happens when you clear it. Ladies and gentleman, Bagman's lame intermission: :P

(You may have to click to see the animation)

post-31-1216739806_thumb.png

Edited by NE146

Thanks Ne146 and djpubba. I have (obviously) never seen the intermission screen, and I do appreciate the cheats djpubba. Just to finish the 1st round is sort of a miracle. I can't even imagine how hard rd. 2 is. Anyway, Bagman is definitely the funnest game (and most frustrating) I never finished (or at least got somewhere).

Edited by cougar302b

• 1 month later...

I dunno if they all did this, but back in the day a local sub shop had Bagman.

It was unique in that during the demo if bagman stopped walking around, you could actually take control of him for a short time.

Not long at all however but as kids, when we didnt have any quarters it was fun just messing around controlling him for that brief time. I never did clear all the screens. Not until years later anyways when I did what NE146 did and played in Mame with the cheats.

Wow, I never noticed that. I should see if that happens on mine.

That would be great.

From what I recall the demo would go through it's actions, at one point the bagman would stop what he was doing waiting for something...a mine cart, or maybe to drop a money bag I cant really remember. It was at that time you could control him for a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

About a week ago, I finished the first level for the first time. The intermission was cool. But it was my last man and I died pretty quickly on the second stage.

In fact, when I completed the first the timer read 0000. It was that close! But still....I made it.

So I was playing last night, and I finished the first stage with 4 men left. Oh, I was totally owning those guards. The zone was upon me. So I dump the last bag into the barrow and start to celebrate as he automatically picks up the barrow and starts wheeling it away. Here's where it all turns to sh*t.

He's wheeling along, and I'm dancing ("I'm the greatest! I AM the greatest! I RULE YOU!!!") when he crosses the elevator of the last screen it drops with him on it. He leaves the wheelbarrow at the top and continues to walk across to the right on the bottom ledge. He gets to the end and stops, blocked by the wall.

Wait. WTF? What just happened?

He just sits there while the timer ticks: 3100...3000...2900... I can see that I'll have to sacrifice him. Wait till he dies and somehow finish with the next man. The cart comes...smashes him against the wall, and....nothing happens. What? He didn't die? Uh-oh. I'm getting nervous now. But finally the timer ticks down: 0200...0100...0000...9900...

What?

!!!

No, no, no, no, no, no, NO-NO-NO!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

The game had gotten stuck in this "you win, you can't die" state. Nothing would work. I actually had to power off the machine.

Of all the suck, this was the worst. Damn.

God Damn Bagman!!!!!!!!!

-Chris

Chris, do you own the game? I mean the actual cabinet and original game? I was just wondering because I have been trying to get one and if this happened to me, I would be pretty pissed. Anyway, sorry about you getting gyped, it just seems par for the course on "That God damn Bagman".

Edited by cougar302b

Chris, do you own the game?
Yeah. It was part of my CAX swag. It's actually a DOA Super Bagman that I'm bringing back to life. First step: make regular Bagman work. (check!) Since it's my game, there's no one really to pissed at for being cheated. Except for the Gaming Gods who thought it would be funny to tweak me. But I'm not mad at them. No way. Because that might offend them. Then they might choose to really *SMITE* me. By killing my Amplifone. Or by simply sending more bats my way. In every game I play. (Video game rule #1: BATS SUCK.)

Bats would suck a lot in SW: TAG. :/

bagman is one of the arcade game that I like.

I still remember in the 80' when I was trying to beat the first level. it took me a lot of quater !!!! but I managed to do it.

I'm still playing this game on a regular basis on my mame (no cheat !!!).

How far have you progressed so far? I am curious as to what happens after you complete the 2nd phase, 3rd phase, etc.....

How far have you progressed so far?
I can get to the second level probably one time in 3 attempts now. I've played it enough that I'm starting to develop a bag of standard tricks. I've made it about 1/3 through the second level -> all the bags on the left screen and 1 on the middle. But I probably won't play much for a while. Hopefully I don't lose my skills....

-Chris

bagman is one of the arcade game that I like.

I still remember in the 80' when I was trying to beat the first level. it took me a lot of quater !!!! but I managed to do it.

I'm still playing this game on a regular basis on my mame (no cheat !!!).

How far have you progressed so far? I am curious as to what happens after you complete the 2nd phase, 3rd phase, etc.....

I'm not an expert.

I will say that every 2 or 3 games that I play, I beat the level 1.