IGNORED

Install a new power switch on a ColecoVision

Jess Ragan

I'm rockin' a DPDT rocker switch. It works pretty well so far! I do wish I hadn't put the LED lamp behind the cartridge slot, where you can't actually see it with a cartridge inserted. Chalk it up to poor planning on my part. And yep, you're right... that was supposed to be uF and not uH.

• 7 months later...
Anybody? Doubledown? You've done this before, right?

Me, what? I don't know what you mean! :cool:

pause02fn3.jpg

Oh wait, yeah that's right, I have done this. The standard ColecoVision power switch is a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch. Meaning that its basically 2 switches that can be connected in one of two ways. Technically one of the throws for each pole is not used. So while the standard switch has 6 contacts, only 4 are used. The center contacts are the live contacts. The one nearest the left edge of the board is the +12V line and the inner one is the +5V line. When the switch is is slid to the rear (ON position), the center (live contacts) make contact via the internal contact slides to the rear contacts which then send the +12V and +5V to where they need to go and power on the PCB. When the switch is slid forward (OFF position) the center (live contacts) make contact via the internal contact slides to the front contacts which aren't connected to anything. Coleco could have used a DPST switch, which is all that is needed, but DPDT switches are more standard and probably easier and cheaper to find. And by the by the -5V from the power supply is always on, which is why the ON/OFF switch is only a double pole not a triple pole.

Though the post above is almost a year old, I thought I'd share the below link with you guys since I got a lot of my ideas from it.

http://www.gridcycle.com/?p=1844

Today, I modded my Coleco and though it isn't as pretty as Doubledown's-- I think it turned out alright and my "new" old ColecoVision is a blast to play!

Edited by Madaracs

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

DoubleDown hasn't been on these forums in almost 5 years and he never did share info on the switches that he used although other people in the CV&ADAM Sub-Forum did figure out the switches that were used and posted the information. You will have to search the CV&ADAM Sub-Forum to find the specific thread/post were the information was shared.

BTW, DD's system is indeed "secksy" as well as that custom made foil label that he made!

DoubleDown hasn't been on these forums in almost 5 years and he never did share info on the switches that he used although other people in the CV&ADAM Sub-Forum did figure out the switches that were used and posted the information. You will have to search the CV&ADAM Sub-Forum to find the specific thread/post were the information was shared.

BTW, DD's system is indeed "secksy" as well as that custom made foil label that he made!

thanks for the info niad.... yea, I found the post which explains the switch.... i have one on order, but its not gonna get here till mid Sept.....

Its too bad doubledown isnt here anymore.... I am def impressed by his work (especially that custom label).... its nice to see the coleco getting some good luving from someone who seems to really apreciate it....