IGNORED

PS1 CD drive replacement

shadow460

I just picked up a SCPH-1001. Sadly, I didn't notice the lid was jamming before I paid my money, or I'd have left it. We all know the drill, it's been overheated and several parts are damaged from that. The opening mechanism and the CD drive are both shot.

Anyway, the CD drive in my 7000 series Playstation is the same shape...at least on the top. Sure it's on the other side of the unit but the shapes match. That leads me to believe the drives are interchangeable.

It still leaves me with the original problem, though: inadequate cooling. I was thinking of mounting some small DC fans in the power supply compartment to remove heat from the system. They could use the existing openings to move air in and out.

Is there a source for CD drives? How about higher quality drives than what Sony used? Will the 1000 series PS1 retain its outstanding audio CD playback with a new drive installed?

EDIT: Found that new drives are about $16. Then I may have to check/grease the rails and buy fans to reduce heat. I may take a crack at repairing the old one following some instructions I found online.

The laser is out of alignment in kind of an odd way, even according to the guide. Instead of traveling straight up, it travels toward the left frnt corner of the unit (when viewed from the front). Most worn lasers light a beam toward the left rear corner. It shouldn't be too hard to pull it apart, but I'm wondering if I should do it here or after hours at my job where I've got a decent workspace.

Edited by shadow460

I just picked up a SCPH-1001. Sadly, I didn't notice the lid was jamming before I paid my money, or I'd have left it. We all know the drill, it's been overheated and several parts are damaged from that. The opening mechanism and the CD drive are both shot.

Anyway, the CD drive in my 7000 series Playstation is the same shape...at least on the top. Sure it's on the other side of the unit but the shapes match. That leads me to believe the drives are interchangeable.

It still leaves me with the original problem, though: inadequate cooling. I was thinking of mounting some small DC fans in the power supply compartment to remove heat from the system. They could use the existing openings to move air in and out.

Is there a source for CD drives? How about higher quality drives than what Sony used? Will the 1000 series PS1 retain its outstanding audio CD playback with a new drive installed?

EDIT: Found that new drives are about $16. Then I may have to check/grease the rails and buy fans to reduce heat. I may take a crack at repairing the old one following some instructions I found online.

The laser is out of alignment in kind of an odd way, even according to the guide. Instead of traveling straight up, it travels toward the left frnt corner of the unit (when viewed from the front). Most worn lasers light a beam toward the left rear corner. It shouldn't be too hard to pull it apart, but I'm wondering if I should do it here or after hours at my job where I've got a decent workspace.

I recently found this website which carries a good supply of parts!

http://store.richspsxparts.com/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...