IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 48: Indy 500

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Put on your helmet and strap yourself into your F1 car, and prepare for the race! But, before you race, you have to run the exciting qualifying lap!

Indy_500__1977___Atari_.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Indy 500
  • Released By: Atari, 1977
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - High Speed
  • Right Difficulty: A / Expert - High Speed
  • Game Mode: Game 4 - Devil's Elbow Track Time Trial
  • Chosen By: toymailman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday August 13th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 13 3/4 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 13 1/2 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 11 7/8 (Wickeycolumbus) [+9]
  4. 10 1/4 (DarthCalvin) [+8]
    10 1/4 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 9 1/8 (Captain Beard) [+7]
  6. 9 (darthkur) [+6]
    9 (doctorclu) [+6]
  7. 6 1/8 (aftermac) [+5]
  8. 6 (Impaler_26) [+4]
  9. 3 1/4 (Kurt_Woloch) [+3]
  10. 3 1/8 (ed1475) [+2]

Best Tips
  • Deteacher [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 13 (Douglas C Korekach, Frankie Cardulla, James Randall)
  2. 11 (Ryan Gavigan)
  3. 10 (David B Yancey)
(Game 4, Difficulty A)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [454]
  2. toymailman [416]
  3. aftermac [248]
  4. keilbaca [225]
  5. SpiceWare [205]
  6. Captain Beard [192]
  7. Impaler_26 [188]
  8. Kurt_Woloch [181]
  9. theking21083 [143]
  10. homerwannabee [102]
  11. Nathan Strum [88]
  12. PressureCooker2600 [87]
  13. phaxda [83]
  14. Mister VCS [80]
  15. StanJr [75]
  16. Gemini [75]
  17. LarcenTyler [70]
  18. rheffera [65]
  19. midnight magicman [63]
  20. DarthCalvin [54]
  21. darthkur [49]
  22. shadow460 [48]
  23. godzillajoe [45]
  24. Recycled [44]
  25. Bentley Bear! [44]
  26. the 5th ghost [42]
  27. Blackjack [35]
  28. Christophero Sly [35]
  29. ed1475 [25]
  30. Rom Hunter [23]
  31. jjd [22]
  32. opeygon [21]
  33. Shannon [20]
  34. Butterwasp [18]
  35. jimdandy75 [17]
  36. LaserHawk [17]
  37. cosmosiss [16]
  38. iangamer [15]
  39. doctorclu [13]
  40. Thomas Jentzsch [13]
  41. tremoloman2006 [12]
  42. RJ [12]
  43. theKLT [12]
  44. lucifershalo [12]
  45. Artlover [9]
  46. atariwarrior [9]
  47. Dauber [9]
  48. LS_Dracon [9]
  49. atari2600land [8]
  50. vintagegamecrazy [8]
  51. Vectorman0 [7]
  52. Krytol [7]
  53. keitaro [7]
  54. lonewolfette9847 [6]
  55. Goochman [6]
  56. Omegamatrix [6]
  57. Phantom [5]
  58. chuckwalla [5]
  59. Nognir [5]
  60. MrBeefy [5]
  61. Elerach [3]
  62. Crazy Climber [3]
  63. SeaGtGruff [3]
  64. hrecker [2]
  65. gospeedde [2]
  66. Snider-man [2]
  67. EricDeLee [1]
  68. LoneWolfSeth [1]
  69. Whickeycolumbus [1]
  70. jboypacman [1]
  71. paddleperson [1]
  72. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  73. HatNJ [1]
  74. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Indy 500
  • This is a timed game, where you try to complete the most laps within 60 seconds.

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints.
Whickeycolumbus
1) When getting up to start a new game, hold the fire button so no time is wasted.

2) When you get to the long strait parts, put the car in position and then take your hand off of the spinner so you do not acidentaly move the car and hit the wall.
Deteacher
Make sure you're playing in the "a"/"expert" difficulty. Your car goes much faster, therefore allowing you to complete more laps.

Like Toy said earlier, don't crash. :) You can crash once and still score 13 laps (I just barely got across the line when time ran out) but the score posted above was a crash-free run.

Get familliar with the controller. Don't be too quick to reset if you crash. Get a good handle of knowing when and how much to turn. Once you get it down and can go several laps without crashing, then it's time to go for that perfect run.

--Zero

OK, I'm probably the first one to post a score... and it's NOT great. I've managed only3 laps, but that's via emulation. Sadly, I don't own this game (nor do I have "real" driving controllers), so I have no choice but emulating it. I suppose using real driving controllers, I could zip through the track much faster...

post-8393-1218055882_thumb.png

Sadly, I don't own this game (nor do I have "real" driving controllers), so I have no choice but emulating it. I suppose using real driving controllers, I could zip through the track much faster...

You know whats even worse? I have a pair of driving controllers but no Indy 500 cart. :_(

I'm afraid playing this in emulation won't be much fun...

EDIT:

post-12950-1218066264_thumb.png

Edited by Impaler_26

Wooo Hooo! I love this game, and is one I actually have a world record for (James Randall). :D

post-10944-1218090113_thumb.jpg

The key is to not crash at all, but thats just plain obvious. :roll:

Also, as a suggestion for scoring, I would recommend breaking up the lap into eighths. It allows for a little bit better differentiation between # of laps. See the picture below.

post-10944-1218090129_thumb.jpg

If we use this then my score would be: 13 3/8

7 laps. Not bad, rather easy once you get the hang of it.

I figured as soon as I made those comments, then someone would get 7. If that was done sans DC, then I am impressed. I'm gonna keep trying, but I don't think I can get that.

Wooo Hooo! I love this game, and is one I actually have a world record for (James Randall). :D

post-10944-1218090113_thumb.jpg

The key is to not crash at all, but thats just plain obvious. :roll:

Also, as a suggestion for scoring, I would recommend breaking up the lap into eighths. It allows for a little bit better differentiation between # of laps. See the picture below.

post-10944-1218090129_thumb.jpg

If we use this then my score would be: 13 3/8

I was actually thinking the same thing. That will add a whole new level of scoring.

Congrats on the world record too! 13 is pretty impressive... that's a lap every 4.6 seconds!

Just got 15.

Yes, scores higher than 13 are possible, but you have to loop from top to bottom and go through the screen. Here's my score of 15.

post-10944-1218154665_thumb.jpg

I would recommend not having this as an option and just use the honor system.

It is not really cheating, because that is the way the game was made, but I will not do it anymore.

It is not really cheating, because that is the way the game was made, but I will not do it anymore.

While it's technically not cheating, the HSC rules do say :

PLEASE DON'T ABUSE BUGS IN THE GAMES! Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work (An example of such "Point Scumming": in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one small asteroid, and then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while skipping a lot of the actual content (For example, using the X-Ray cheat in Superman to prevent the bridge from exploding). Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process.

If my other scores don't count, then here is a new score for me: 10.

EDIT:

I forgot to add my tips :)

1) When getting up to start a new game, hold the fire button so no time is wasted.

2) When you get to the long strait parts, put the car in position and then take your hand off of the spinner so you do not acidentaly move the car and hit the wall.

post-12776-1218220857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wickeycolumbus

Here's my final score: 13 laps.

I've been playing since Wednesday, here and there, but it took me a good solid hour of straight playing to finally get a crash-free run. You could probably eek out a 14th lap if you hug all the corners nice and tight, but I'm not about to try. I think I'm done for the week. It was a great choice, though. I had fun reliving this fond memory. :)

post-9712-1218221515_thumb.jpg

Tips:

Make sure you're playing in the "a"/"expert" difficulty. Your car goes much faster, therefore allowing you to complete more laps.

Like Toy said earlier, don't crash. :) You can crash once and still score 13 laps (I just barely got across the line when time ran out) but the score posted above was a crash-free run.

Get familliar with the controller. Don't be too quick to reset if you crash. Get a good handle of knowing when and how much to turn. Once you get it down and can go several laps without crashing, then it's time to go for that perfect run.

Best of luck! :)