IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 49: Commando Raid

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

You are in defense of your buildings which have come under attack by android commando raiders. Without warning they appear, intent on capturing your buildings and destroying your gun emplacement.

s_CommandoRaid_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Commando Raid
  • Released By: U.S. Games, 1982
  • Color/Black & White: Your Choice (B&W = Autofire)
  • Left Difficulty: Your Choice (A = Straight Bullets, B = Steerable Missiles)
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice - Bomber Active
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: theking21083

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday August 20th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 294,070 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 198,825 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 85,265 (Kurt_Woloch) [+9]
  4. 58,905 (toymailman) [+8]
  5. 51,880 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 43,095 (vintagegamecrazy) [+6]
  7. 39,425 (darthkur) [+5]
  8. 33,620 (DarthCalvin) [+4]
  9. 31,370 (aftermac) [+3]
  10. 30,850 (Impaler_26) [+2]
  11. 14,025 (Captain Beard) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Deteacher [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 152,195 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
  2. 76,220 (Greg Easterly)
  3. 54,795 (Robert T Mruczek)
(Game 1, Difficulty A)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [466]
  2. toymailman [427]
  3. aftermac [253]
  4. keilbaca [225]
  5. SpiceWare [213]
  6. Captain Beard [199]
  7. Impaler_26 [192]
  8. Kurt_Woloch [184]
  9. theking21083 [143]
  10. homerwannabee [102]
  11. Nathan Strum [88]
  12. PressureCooker2600 [87]
  13. phaxda [83]
  14. Mister VCS [80]
  15. StanJr [75]
  16. Gemini [75]
  17. LarcenTyler [70]
  18. rheffera [65]
  19. midnight magicman [63]
  20. DarthCalvin [62]
  21. darthkur [55]
  22. shadow460 [48]
  23. godzillajoe [45]
  24. Recycled [44]
  25. Bentley Bear! [44]
  26. the 5th ghost [42]
  27. Blackjack [35]
  28. Christophero Sly [35]
  29. ed1475 [27]
  30. Rom Hunter [23]
  31. jjd [22]
  32. opeygon [21]
  33. Shannon [20]
  34. doctorclu [19]
  35. Butterwasp [18]
  36. jimdandy75 [17]
  37. LaserHawk [17]
  38. cosmosiss [16]
  39. iangamer [15]
  40. Thomas Jentzsch [13]
  41. tremoloman2006 [12]
  42. RJ [12]
  43. theKLT [12]
  44. lucifershalo [12]
  45. Whickeycolumbus [10]
  46. Artlover [9]
  47. atariwarrior [9]
  48. Dauber [9]
  49. LS_Dracon [9]
  50. atari2600land [8]
  51. vintagegamecrazy [8]
  52. Vectorman0 [7]
  53. Krytol [7]
  54. keitaro [7]
  55. lonewolfette9847 [6]
  56. Goochman [6]
  57. Omegamatrix [6]
  58. Phantom [5]
  59. chuckwalla [5]
  60. Nognir [5]
  61. MrBeefy [5]
  62. Elerach [3]
  63. Crazy Climber [3]
  64. SeaGtGruff [3]
  65. hrecker [2]
  66. gospeedde [2]
  67. Snider-man [2]
  68. EricDeLee [1]
  69. LoneWolfSeth [1]
  70. jboypacman [1]
  71. paddleperson [1]
  72. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  73. HatNJ [1]
  74. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Commando Raid
  • Shoot down a helicopter - 200 points
  • Shoot down a bomber - 200 points
  • Shoot down a bomb - 115 points
  • Shoot down a paratrooper - 115 points.
  • Every 10,000 points, you will be awarded a new building.

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints.
vintagegamecrazy
Alway aim for the bombs on the far right or left first as they're the hardest to hit overall, you'll almost always get the inner ones easily.

Use left difficulty B with controlled shots and when the bomber drops the missile on you keep firing the shots upwards all the while jiggling the joystick left and right to get a better chance to hit the game ending missile.
Kurt_Woloch
This seems to be another game where you have to prioritize things. In this case, buildings get gradually destroyed, and then the enemies begin to dig their tunnels. Now the tunnels, once digged, never go away, while every 10.000 points, the building with the most damage gets restored. Thus, aside from of course aways destoying the game-ending bomb, you should concentrate on shooting those paratroopers who go for the most damaged buildings, because if these reach their goal, they will start or continue digging the finally deadly tunnel.
An exception to this could be if there's no building that received three hits yet. In this case it might be better to let the paratroopers hit one building completely in favor of other, yet undamaged or less damaged buidings, because on reaching the next multiple of 10.000 points, the building with the three hits gets restored... but if the damage is distributed evenly across all the buildings, and none of them has three hits yet, the one with the highest hit count will get repaired, while the others remain damaged... which ultimately repairs less damage than if one building has three hits and others have none.
Deteacher
1. Set your TV Type switch to B&W. This is the autofire setting. If you leave it set to color, this game can become quite a hand cramper. Since we have the choice of either steerable shots or str8 shots, I'd go with steerable.

2. In the early rounds, select one building to be your "whipping boy." Try to defend them all, of course, but if you HAVE to let a paratrooper through, try to let same building get hit, rather than allowing multiple buildings to get damaged. As mentioned earlier, at 10,000, that building will be restored. Now, if a building is completely gone, it's time to pick a new whipping boy. :) Defending 3 buildings is easier than defending all 4. This strategy gets thrown out the window in the later levels, but the idea is the same. Make sure you know what buildings can take a hit if you have to let one pass.

3. If you've got a quick second, take out some helicopters! With a little luck, you can nail 2, 3 or even more, which will get you closer to the next 10,000 point threshold. You should try to take some of them out anyway, since that will mean fewer paratroopers to deal with.

--Zero

Wow who had to be the one to pick this lame game this week? I am going to participate for once since it's been a while. I don't have my camera with me but I got 43,095. Gotta love bad hit detection.

I have a few tips so far,

Alway aim for the bombs on the far right or left first as they're the hardest to hit overall, you'll almost always get the inner ones easily.

Use left difficulty B with controlled shots and when the bomber drops the missile on you keep firing the shots upwards all the while jiggling the joystick left and right to get a better chance to hit the game ending missile.

OK, here's my best so far... 85265.

post-8393-1218791148_thumb.png

I also have got some tips...

This seems to be another game where you have to prioritize things. In this case, buildings get gradually destroyed, and then the enemies begin to dig their tunnels. Now the tunnels, once digged, never go away, while every 10.000 points, the building with the most damage gets restored. Thus, aside from of course aways destoying the game-ending bomb, you should concentrate on shooting those paratroopers who go for the most damaged buildings, because if these reach their goal, they will start or continue digging the finally deadly tunnel.

An exception to this could be if there's no building that received three hits yet. In this case it might be better to let the paratroopers hit one building completely in favor of other, yet undamaged or less damaged buidings, because on reaching the next multiple of 10.000 points, the building with the three hits gets restored... but if the damage is distributed evenly across all the buildings, and none of them has three hits yet, the one with the highest hit count will get repaired, while the others remain damaged... which ultimately repairs less damage than if one building has three hits and others have none.

Here are my tips:

1. Set your TV Type switch to B&W. This is the autofire setting. If you leave it set to color, this game can become quite a hand cramper. Since we have the choice of either steerable shots or str8 shots, I'd go with steerable.

2. In the early rounds, select one building to be your "whipping boy." Try to defend them all, of course, but if you HAVE to let a paratrooper through, try to let same building get hit, rather than allowing multiple buildings to get damaged. As mentioned earlier, at 10,000, that building will be restored. Now, if a building is completely gone, it's time to pick a new whipping boy. :) Defending 3 buildings is easier than defending all 4. This strategy gets thrown out the window in the later levels, but the idea is the same. Make sure you know what buildings can take a hit if you have to let one pass.

3. If you've got a quick second, take out some helicopters! With a little luck, you can nail 2, 3 or even more, which will get you closer to the next 10,000 point threshold. You should try to take some of them out anyway, since that will mean fewer paratroopers to deal with.

post-9712-1218819966_thumb.jpg

Here are my tips:

and for those of us who have retired our worn out old 2600 and replaced it with a shiny "pause button"-having 7800, this week sucks

Here are my tips:

and for those of us who have retired our worn out old 2600 and replaced it with a shiny "pause button"-having 7800, this week sucks

Eh, just tape down your fire button...you'll be fine. ;)

Welcome back, ROM! I missed playing against ya. I hope you're gonna be a regluar when the new season starts in a couple weeks.

Tempting indeed.

Let's try to top the 200K.

8)

Here it is: 294,070.

I would have topped 300K, but I didn't realize the inner-left building was completely gone. I thought it could take another hit...whoops.

And by the way, what's with the bombs that get appear when there's no bomber on the screen? Grrrr....

post-9712-1219194361_thumb.jpg

I would have topped 300K, but I didn't realize the inner-left building was completely gone. I thought it could take another hit...whoops.

And by the way, what's with the bombs that get appear when there's no bomber on the screen? Grrrr....

Wow!

Excellent score, Deteacher.

Don't think I can beat that.

8)