IGNORED

Tips on burning Sega CD

2600Lives

Well, recently I've been doing some Sega CD gaming. I have a real soft spot for those crappy full motion games. Microcosm is AWESOME if you give it a chance. Anyway, burning them is a pain in the ass, so I thought I'd toss up a topic to help out. These will work in either KEGA or a real Sega CD. You need four programs (plus the ISO/MP3 of the game) for this to work right.

First off, the games usually come in ISO/MP3 format. If it's in BIN/CUE, burn with Nero and no sweat, but if not, you've got some converting to do.

1. Nero Burning Rom. There are other ones out there, but Nero is easily the simplest. My version came with the burner I bought in 2006.

2. WinLAME. This converts the MP3 files to WAV. Google it to find a download link. Easy to use and totally free.

3. CDMage. This is for opening the ISO file and converting it to a RAW format. Google it.

4. Sega Cuemaker. Again, free, and you need it to make a CUE file for Nero to read. Again, google to find it. You need the version that actually installs, or you'll get some weird error.

First step, unzip/unrar everything into a single folder. Use WinLAME to convert ALL the MP3 files to WAV format. On the Output Module option, choose Wave Output. Choose a destination folder, then press the Play button on the next screen to convert. It only takes a minute. You can delete the MP3s after this. Keep everything in a single folder.

Next, use CDMage to open the ISO file. In the All Image Tracks box to the right, right click on the single file there and choose Extract Tracks. Click Default Extensions and change the Mode 1/2352 to RAW (no dot, just the letters). Under Extract Tracks, change it to Mode 1/2352. Choose your destination folder and extract the files. You can now delete the original ISO file.

Make sure every file is now in a single folder. Start Sega Cuemaker. Choose the folder that contains all the files, and click Generate Cue. Now click Save Cue, and again, save it to the same folder (name it whatever you want) the other files are in.

Finally start Nero and choose the Burn Image option. Select the Cue file and it will burn ALL of the files correctly. I burn on the lowest speed, but it only takes about 5 minutes max. Now your game will work correctly! Enjoy!

Note that this also works with the Neo-Geo CD.

• Like 1

I use Memorex for my media. They're surprisingly good, actually.

For the Lunar, did the ISO come with any MP3 files? If so, they need to be converted to .wav and the cue needs to include them. You may want to find another place to download it from if it's just an ISO with no music files. The best case scenario is just a simple BIN/CUE combo, and though it may be a much bigger download, you just burn it with no converting.

BTW, Penn and Teller's Smoke and Mirrors unreleased Sega CD game is AWESOME. I've been playing Desert Bus for hours now, and it never gets old :P

• Like 1

Memorex used to be good, now they are CMC Magnetics crap.

Don't know about their CD's, but yeah, their DVD's are utter garbage crapola bottom of the bucket low grade worthless pathetic scummy poo straight from the septic tank of satan's toilet after he's dropped a week old bean burrito made with rotten beans and meat from a road kill skunk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got a Lunar ISO..but when I load it on the Sega CD..it just sits there & does nothing

I did

Make a cue in Sega Cue

Burned it in Nero

does it go to the cd control panel, or just do nothing? sega cd games are region specific (USA/EUR/JPN). if i remember right, an out of region game goes to the control panel.

also, you should have audio tracks. all commercial releases had at least 1 audio track, even if it's only 4 seconds of random whatever.

I got a Lunar ISO..but when I load it on the Sega CD..it just sits there & does nothing

I did

Make a cue in Sega Cue

Burned it in Nero

does it go to the cd control panel, or just do nothing? sega cd games are region specific (USA/EUR/JPN). if i remember right, an out of region game goes to the control panel.

also, you should have audio tracks. all commercial releases had at least 1 audio track, even if it's only 4 seconds of random whatever.

It just sits at the Title Srceen...Pressing Start dosn't do anything

BTW, Penn and Teller's Smoke and Mirrors unreleased Sega CD game is AWESOME. I've been playing Desert Bus for hours now, and it never gets old :P

:rolling: Hahahaha.

Yeah, I had to fire this up again. Playing via emulation on the Xbox. Frickin' a AWESOME. Desert Bus is the best! You never want to stop playing it it's so much fun! :P

Genius, pure genius. :cool:

;)

• 1 month later...

Hello, please help Ive been trying for hours! I downloaded a ton of sega cd games, it was called loads of roms. The games only came with a bin. file. There is no CUE file. When I open a game all that is in there is one BIN file. Although, with this software gene or something I can play on my computer but I cant seem to find out how to burn with just a BIN file.

Thanks

Ryan

Hello, please help Ive been trying for hours! I downloaded a ton of sega cd games, it was called loads of roms. The games only came with a bin. file. There is no CUE file. When I open a game all that is in there is one BIN file. Although, with this software gene or something I can play on my computer but I cant seem to find out how to burn with just a BIN file.

Is it possable that the CUE file is in the BIN file? So all i have to do is burn it with nero and it will work?

Thanks

Ryan

Thanks

Ryan

If you're talking about "Sega Megadrive emulator + loads of roms" that's something like 936 megs, then you need to be aware there are NO cd images in that set. Those .BIN's are just cartridge dumps.

Edited by Artlover

Oh ok, I think I understand more now. So even Rom Nation and the Sega Genesis Rom sites where you can download separate games that just comes in .bin are only for emulators... Is there any way to get .BIN and .CUE files to burn for sega cd instead of going through the process of converting and stuff. The first post said if you found .bin files just burn with Nero Image, where can you find them?

If not besides torrnets are there any good sites or download sites anyone knows of for burning sega cd games.

Thanks guys

Ryan

Oh ok, I think I understand more now. So even Rom Nation and the Sega Genesis Rom sites where you can download separate games that just comes in .bin are only for emulators... Is there any way to get .BIN and .CUE files to burn for sega cd instead of going through the process of converting and stuff.

I think you're still not quite understanding. I know it's confusing, but a .BIN and a .BIN aren't the same. It's a generic extension that represents that it is a binary file. Nothing more. .BIN's can be anything from CD images, to network router firmware updates, to linux programs, to Macintosh programs, to virus scan databases, to graphic files, to log files, to cartridge dumps for many different consoles, and so on. http://filext.com/file-extension/BIN

To that end, these .BIN files have nothing to do with SegaCD's period. They are dumps of Genesis "cartridges". They are not just for emulators persay. You can use something like this - http://www.dcemu.co.uk/neomd-flash-cart-re...cart-57343.html - and play them on a real Genesis console.

Is there any way to get .BIN and .CUE files to burn for sega cd instead of going through the process of converting and stuff. The first post said if you found .bin files just burn with Nero Image, where can you find them?

If not besides torrnets are there any good sites or download sites anyone knows of for burning sega cd games.

See above. Not any .bin file, but SegaCD iso .bin/cue files. To that end, were to find them.

Honestly, your only option is newsgroups or torrents. While some web based rom sites have SegaCD images, they are always either stripped down or of the malformed type that need to be fixed. So don't even bother with web based downloads.

If using torrents. Search for "Sega CD", and only bother with results that say Darkwater. Specificly, you'll be looking for a torrent called "Genuine and tested Sega CD USA images". There are a few different versions of this torrent floating around. You'll be looking for the one that is 65 gigs in size.

If using newsgroups/usenet. Basicly the same thing. Seatch for "Sega CD" and only bother with results that say Darkwater. Look in "alt.binaries.emulators", "alt.binaries.emulators.sega" and "alt.binaries.emulators.misc". They turn up every once in awhile. There are currently 4 Darkwater SegaCD games in "alt.binaries.emulators.misc" right now.

The importance of "Darkwater" is that they are the only person/group that made proper CD rips that are 100% and require nothing more then simply burning to a blank CD. They defined the standard by which both SegaCD and Saturn discs were to be ripped by to be considered proper/working.

Honestly, your only option is newsgroups or torrents. While some web based rom sites have SegaCD images, they are always either stripped down or of the malformed type that need to be fixed. So don't even bother with web based downloads.

That is far from true. I've downloaded well over 100 Sega CD games from various sites and FTP files. As well as hundreds of PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Neo Geo CD, TG16 CD, etc. Sure there are some bad ones out there, but there are plenty of good files.

As far as burning cd's using iso/mp3 files. You only need Fireburner and not 3 - 4 different programs. It's cheap to buy or look for a cracked version. I can't believe I'm the first person to mention this program, it's the best for "mixed" discs! For everything else use Alcohol 120% (except for NRG files, use Nero).

That is far from true. I've downloaded well over 100 Sega CD games from various sites and FTP files.
So have I. And every single one was either missing audio tracks all together (a lot of copies of SonicCD are a common example of this) or of the Iso/MP3's format (to conserve bandwidth and make for smaller downloads).

To that end. If you can get them to work and are happy with it, fine. But Iso/mp3 are NOT propper rips, and are looked down on by everyone in the scene who take it seriously. Justifying/defending them is a dis-service to everyone. :| Read below.

As far as burning cd's using iso/mp3 files. You only need Fireburner and not 3 - 4 different programs. It's cheap to buy or look for a cracked version. I can't believe I'm the first person to mention this program, it's the best for "mixed" discs! For everything else use Alcohol 120% (except for NRG files, use Nero).

What Fireburn does is converts MP3 to CDA on the fly. So can Nero, CDRWin, Roxio and others. The problem is, the results aren't always correct. Issues ranging from cutting off a weebit of the audio & pops/clicks when starting/ending playback (these are the two primary reasons everyone suggests manually converting mp3 to wav before burning), audio sync, pre-gap, track shifting. None of these issues have to exist at all, and only do because the discs were ripped in mixed mode to begin with.

The sad thing is (to touch back on my previous comment about being a dis-service), too many people don't even know what they are playing isn't right because they don't know any better. Compare an Original SonicCD, SonicCD iso/mp3 rip burned on the fly, SonicCD iso/mp3 rip with manual wav conversion and cue rebuilding side by side however, and it becomes obvious.

Scene motto: If it's not 1:1, it's crap. - Given the choice, I (and I believe most people) would rather it be "right" then "close enough".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello,

i recently downloaded a lot of sega cd isos from newsgroups, but i cant get them to work on my sega cd. Firstly, will burnt games work on a CLD-A100 with the pac-s10 module, does anybody know?

Every game i have has a cue sheet with a text file that says

--- Cue Sheet Creator ---

Cue Sheet created with SegaCDCC 1.0

The ultimate SegaCD Cue Sheet Creator

Programmed by H. Denessen

HarD4ce Software Development

See http://members.home.nl/hp.denessen

Then i have a lot of mp3 files as well as the iso. The cue sheet looks like this:

FILE "Mortal_Kombat_#01.iso" BINARY

TRACK 01 MODE1/2048

INDEX 01 00:00:00

POSTGAP 00:02:00

FILE "Mortal_Kombat_#02.mp3" MP3

TRACK 02 AUDIO

PREGAP 00:02:00

FILE "Mortal_Kombat_#03.mp3" MP3

TRACK 03 AUDIO

FILE "Mortal_Kombat_#04.mp3" MP3

TRACK 04 AUDIO

FILE "Mortal_Kombat_#05.mp3" MP3

TRACK 05 AUDIO

FILE "Mortal_Kombat_#06.mp3" MP3

TRACK 06 AUDIO

Any help would be great. The CLD-A100 says loading error but it loads real sega cd games.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Well, recently I've been doing some Sega CD gaming. I have a real soft spot for those crappy full motion games. Microcosm is AWESOME if you give it a chance. Anyway, burning them is a pain in the ass, so I thought I'd toss up a topic to help out. These will work in either KEGA or a real Sega CD. You need four programs (plus the ISO/MP3 of the game) for this to work right.

First off, the games usually come in ISO/MP3 format. If it's in BIN/CUE, burn with Nero and no sweat, but if not, you've got some converting to do.

1. Nero Burning Rom. There are other ones out there, but Nero is easily the simplest. My version came with the burner I bought in 2006.

2. WinLAME. This converts the MP3 files to WAV. Google it to find a download link. Easy to use and totally free.

3. CDMage. This is for opening the ISO file and converting it to a RAW format. Google it.

4. Sega Cuemaker. Again, free, and you need it to make a CUE file for Nero to read. Again, google to find it. You need the version that actually installs, or you'll get some weird error.

First step, unzip/unrar everything into a single folder. Use WinLAME to convert ALL the MP3 files to WAV format. On the Output Module option, choose Wave Output. Choose a destination folder, then press the Play button on the next screen to convert. It only takes a minute. You can delete the MP3s after this. Keep everything in a single folder.

Next, use CDMage to open the ISO file. In the All Image Tracks box to the right, right click on the single file there and choose Extract Tracks. Click Default Extensions and change the Mode 1/2352 to RAW (no dot, just the letters). Under Extract Tracks, change it to Mode 1/2352. Choose your destination folder and extract the files. You can now delete the original ISO file.

Make sure every file is now in a single folder. Start Sega Cuemaker. Choose the folder that contains all the files, and click Generate Cue. Now click Save Cue, and again, save it to the same folder (name it whatever you want) the other files are in.

Finally start Nero and choose the Burn Image option. Select the Cue file and it will burn ALL of the files correctly. I burn on the lowest speed, but it only takes about 5 minutes max. Now your game will work correctly! Enjoy!

Note that this also works with the Neo-Geo CD.

Ok can you recommend a free program that I can use to burn these files. A link would be super helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just downloaded a bunch of sega cd games. alot of them are in BIN CUE format but are the wrong region. I have convSCD and SCDconv to change the region but I am pretty sure it only works with iso's. Can I just convert the BIN to ISO apply the fix and then convert it back to ISO? If so, how do I convert it?

Hi,

I have just downloaded a bunch of sega cd games. alot of them are in BIN CUE format but are the wrong region. I have convSCD and SCDconv to change the region but I am pretty sure it only works with iso's. Can I just convert the BIN to ISO apply the fix and then convert it back to ISO? If so, how do I convert it?

• 1 year later...

Memorex used to be good, now they are CMC Magnetics crap.

I had a bad experience years ago with Memorex and have since used Verbatim or TDK with no issues.

I use Tesco's own brand!

DLing Sonic CD to test it!