IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 50: Quick Step!

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Quick! Race against your opponent to claim possession of the multi-colored trampolines. Jump on them and they change to your color! Get there first! Be the first to touch all the trampolines before they roll off the screen - you'll score big points!

This is the final game of the 5th season!

s_QuickStep_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Quick Step!
  • Released By: Imagic, 1983
  • Color/Black & White: Your Choice (B&W = Autofire)
  • Left Difficulty: N / A
  • Right Difficulty: N / A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - 1 Player
  • Chosen By: Impaler_26

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday August 27th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 3093 (Kurt_Woloch) [+11]
  2. 2917 (aftermac) [+10]
  3. 2742 (darthkur) [+9]
  4. 2731 (Impaler_26) [+8]
  5. 2624 (DarthCalvin) [+7]
  6. 2542 (SpiceWare) [+6]
  7. 2380 (toymailman) [+5]
  8. 2288 (jjd) [+4]

Best Tips
  • DarthCalvin [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 5770 (Alan W Hewston)
  2. 2452 (Giovanni Flamand) (Emulator)
  3. 2400 (Lafe Travis)
(Game 1, Difficulty A)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [479]
  2. toymailman [435]
  3. aftermac [256]
  4. keilbaca [225]
  5. SpiceWare [220]
  6. Captain Beard [200]
  7. Impaler_26 [194]
  8. Kurt_Woloch [193]
  9. theking21083 [143]
  10. homerwannabee [102]
  11. Nathan Strum [88]
  12. PressureCooker2600 [87]
  13. phaxda [83]
  14. Mister VCS [80]
  15. StanJr [75]
  16. Gemini [75]
  17. LarcenTyler [70]
  18. DarthCalvin [66]
  19. rheffera [65]
  20. midnight magicman [63]
  21. darthkur [60]
  22. shadow460 [48]
  23. godzillajoe [45]
  24. Recycled [44]
  25. Bentley Bear! [44]
  26. the 5th ghost [42]
  27. Blackjack [35]
  28. Christophero Sly [35]
  29. Rom Hunter [33]
  30. ed1475 [27]
  31. jjd [22]
  32. opeygon [21]
  33. Shannon [20]
  34. doctorclu [19]
  35. Butterwasp [18]
  36. jimdandy75 [17]
  37. LaserHawk [17]
  38. cosmosiss [16]
  39. iangamer [15]
  40. vintagegamecrazy [14]
  41. Thomas Jentzsch [13]
  42. tremoloman2006 [12]
  43. RJ [12]
  44. theKLT [12]
  45. lucifershalo [12]
  46. Whickeycolumbus [10]
  47. Artlover [9]
  48. atariwarrior [9]
  49. Dauber [9]
  50. LS_Dracon [9]
  51. atari2600land [8]
  52. Vectorman0 [7]
  53. Krytol [7]
  54. keitaro [7]
  55. lonewolfette9847 [6]
  56. Goochman [6]
  57. Omegamatrix [6]
  58. Phantom [5]
  59. chuckwalla [5]
  60. Nognir [5]
  61. MrBeefy [5]
  62. Elerach [3]
  63. Crazy Climber [3]
  64. SeaGtGruff [3]
  65. hrecker [2]
  66. gospeedde [2]
  67. Snider-man [2]
  68. EricDeLee [1]
  69. LoneWolfSeth [1]
  70. jboypacman [1]
  71. paddleperson [1]
  72. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  73. HatNJ [1]
  74. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Quick Step!
  • Claim a pink trampoline - 3 points
  • Land on a gold mat - 7 points + 1 Tricky Trap
  • Trampoline is your colour as it moves off to the bottom of the screen - 6 points
  • Freeze other player while glowing - 10 points
  • Score 2000 points and you get one extra life
  • When the other player runs out of lives, the game ends, and you get a 200 point bonus for each life you have left (if this bonus puts you over 2000, you get an an additional 200 points).

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints.
DarthCalvin
Be less aggressive on the first 2 waves. Don't worry if a few of his roll off the bottom. Concentrate on getting the pink and the white. I don't even use the traps until the first wave that doesn't form a square, I think that's the 5th wave. Get the white everytime you see it but don't try to intentionally kill him in those early waves. When you reach the crazy all over the place type wave start using the traps to lure him to his doom. If you've been careful, most of your points will come simply from the fact you didn't die. Out of a score of 2,624, I received 1,200 in bonus at the end of the game so I didn't have many more points than the computer, I just didn't fall off.
aftermac
-I have stopped "squirrel trapping" all together... the more lives the enemy has, the longer the game will last, and the more points you will collect.

-I also, try to avoid the bottom of the screen as much as possible. I've found that the more I go down there, the more likely I am to get frozen by the squirrel and fall off the screen. I'd rather just play it safe and keep as many bonus points as possible.

--Zero

post-9504-1219339612_thumb.png

Be less aggressive on the first 2 waves. Don't worry if a few of his roll off the bottom. Concentrate on getting the pink and the white. I don't even use the traps until the first wave that doesn't form a square, I think that's the 5th wave. Get the white everytime you see it but don't try to intentionally kill him in those early waves. When you reach the crazy all over the place type wave start using the traps to lure him to his doom. If you've been careful, most of your points will come simply from the fact you didn't die. Out of that 2,624 I received 1,200 in bonus at the end of the game so I didn't have many more points than the computer, I just didn't fall off.

post-10357-1219341572_thumb.png

Be less aggressive on the first 2 waves. Don't worry if a few of his roll off the bottom. Concentrate on getting the pink and the white. I don't even use the traps until the first wave that doesn't form a square, I think that's the 5th wave. Get the white everytime you see it but don't try to intentionally kill him in those early waves. When you reach the crazy all over the place type wave start using the traps to lure him to his doom. If you've been careful, most of your points will come simply from the fact you didn't die. Out of that 2,624 I received 1,200 in bonus at the end of the game so I didn't have many more points than the computer, I just didn't fall off.

Thanks for the good advice. That helped a lot.

Edit: 2,211

Yep, definitely helped. :D

post-10357-1219342161_thumb.png

Edited by darthkur

Definitely, my longest game so far... only 600 off this was from bonus points. I don't like that sometimes there is no possible way to keep moving up the screen. That forces you to lose points and bonus points through no fault of your own.

Tips:

-I have stopped "squirrel trapping" all together... the more lives the enemy has, the longer the game will last, and the more points you will collect.

-I also, try to avoid the bottom of the screen as much as possible. I've found that the more I go down there, the more likely I am to get frozen by the squirrel and fall off the screen. I'd rather just play it safe and keep as many bonus points as possible.

post-17553-1219415789_thumb.png

Tips:

I beleive your method is superior for the purposes of the HSC, however it doesn't seem to be a "winning" strategy :cool:

Perhaps I'll have to get over my natural desire to actually win and just aim for highest score

Tips:

I beleive your method is superior for the purposes of the HSC, however it doesn't seem to be a "winning" strategy :cool:

Perhaps I'll have to get over my natural desire to actually win and just aim for highest score

That all depends on how you define "winning". :cool:

This is one of those rare games that is a bit awkward for the HSC, because getting a "high score" conflicts with how the game is designed to be played... yet it still isn't cheating/point scumming according to the rules of the HSC. On the other hand, this would be a great two-player game!

This is one of those rare games that is a bit awkward for the HSC, because getting a "high score" conflicts with how the game is designed to be played... yet it still isn't cheating/point scumming according to the rules of the HSC. On the other hand, this would be a great two-player game!

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't implying it was cheating or anything, just ironic. Technically, the current high score is held by your computer opponent :roll: Does that mean we give the blue squirrel 11 points this week?

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't implying it was cheating or anything, just ironic. Technically, the current high score is held by your computer opponent :roll: Does that mean we give the blue squirrel 11 points this week?

LOL! Yeah, I got my butt kicked pretty bad that game. Blue squirrel might have a world record before this is over, if I can keep him alive that long :)

Here's my highest one so far... 3093. And yes, I also adopted the strategy of keeping the enemy alive as long as possible, but at the same time I try to freeze him from time to time as long as that doesn't let him fall off the screen.

Oh, and I didn't use the trap opportunities at all... I guess they don't really help your score, do they?

post-8393-1219499151_thumb.png

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

Whew, had to take a break from the Atari Olympics (and the rest of my life! :D ) to get some Quick Steps in.

My best score (stupid squirrel keeps dying):

post-10944-1219604997_thumb.jpg

As a challenge, how about we try for best differential! IMHO that seems slightly more the objective in this game versus highest score anyway based on the gameplay and scoring rules.

For this I'm at 1803.

post-10944-1219605021_thumb.jpg

Tips:

This is one of those rare games that is a bit awkward for the HSC, because getting a "high score" conflicts with how the game is designed to be played... yet it still isn't cheating/point scumming according to the rules of the HSC.

I consider this a valid strategy, and not point scumming at all. I love having games like this in the HSC, as it requires people to think a bit more creatively about how to actually get a higher score.

By the way, I'm going to take a week off between seasons, so no game next week. Season 6 will start September 3rd.

--Zero

I consider this a valid strategy, and not point scumming at all. I love having games like this in the HSC, as it requires people to think a bit more creatively about how to actually get a higher score.

By the way, I'm going to take a week off between seasons, so no game next week. Season 6 will start September 3rd.

--Zero

I still like my challenge idea. That way we try for highest score (HSC points) and to "win" (challenge points)

Also, I guess we'll never get to finish up Toyshop Trouble? The ROM was never made available, eh. Sorry about that as it was my pick, but it truly is an awesome game and I'd recommend it to anyone to buy. Maybe we'll be able to go at it this Christmas?

--Zero

Great! This will give the Atarilympics a chance to wrap up and maybe I can get in a few games of Dig Dug over in the 7800 HSC. :)

--Zero

I still like my challenge idea. That way we try for highest score (HSC points) and to "win" (challenge points)

The challenge was a good idea... I gave it a few good tries, but was only able to get about a 1,500 point differential.