IGNORED

Dynex 20" CRT review / classic gaming

remowilliams

So, with the near demise of CRT based displays I figured I'd try to pick up a decent one if I still could. Even though modern displays/scalers have come quite a way, none I have seen still can beat even my humble C1084 14" CRT monitors in the field of classic gaming.

There isn't much choice these days if you are looking for a new CRT display, but after some research and store visits I picked the Dynex DX-R20TV 20" CRT unit. It's a 480i SDTV with composite, s-video and component inputs and an ATSC tuner. My expectations were low, but I have to say that I am very impressed by the picture quality of the unit. The out of the box settings are (as usual) horrendous, but after some adjustment the video is crisp and clear. s-video on the unit looks fantastic, besting even my C1084 monitors. Even medium res Amiga stuff such as Brattacus (on my CD32 over s-video) looks exceptionally clear.

Using SCART cables and a SCART/component converter device I have hooked up my Genesis/32X, 1040ST, and my Spectrum 128 +2 in component video. The picture while not quite as crisp as RGB on my 1084s is very good. I was very pleased to see that the unit would accept a 50hz signal over the component inputs as well. My only complaints are that there are only basic picture adjustments (as expected), that it has a slight misconvergence in the upper right quadrant and that I'm not thrilled with the built in speakers.

Now as far as parts quality or how long it will last, that I couldn't say. I'm guessing it's not going to rack up the years like the C1084s have. ;) But in the meantime this CRT has far exceeded my expectations, and has become my primary classic gaming display. I figured I'd do a short write up as I know there are probably others here who might be in the same market.

If it dies on me, I'll update the topic. :D

• 2 months later...

Best Buy has dropped the price on these to $129, and looks to be clearing them out. Might be one of the last chances to get a new classic friendly CRT display. Still have the original I bought as my primary classic display, and I just went and picked up another one.

Hooked my Amigas to it recently over scart/component and it's a beautiful picture.

Oh and light guns work too. :)

Due to the fallout of crts, i've recently accumulated approximately 10 crt sets of different syles and sizes all ranging in age from 1985 to 1990. All work like new and range from 13" to 27". I just picked up a 27 console zenith that needs power board repair. All of these will go in my game room and have particular hardware hooked to each. This way, i won't have to go searching for a good crt for my older hardware.

post-17612-1226913749_thumb.jpg

post-17612-1226913825_thumb.jpg

post-17612-1226913856_thumb.jpg

post-17612-1226913956_thumb.jpg

post-17612-1226913986_thumb.jpg

post-17612-1226914012_thumb.jpg

Speaking of CRT TVs, does anyone know of a good TV that's smaller than 19" and has S-video and component inputs?

I've never seen a feature rich tv under 19". Then again it's probably possible. I'm just not a big fan of smaller sets although i have a few of them. Then again, they're not my primary displays either. Most of mine have the s-video but i don't see why someone would want component inputs on a small set. I can't imagine playing the newer games on anything under at least 20". Again, you may find a small set with such connections but i never came across any. All my crts are for older stuff and my big screen hd has the s-video and components.

Most of mine have the s-video but i don't see why someone would want component inputs on a small set.

Well for me, it's because component inputs are the gateway to viewing 15Khz RGB video which is essential to old computers like the Amiga, ST, Apple IIGS, Spectrum, etc. These 20" Dynex units are replacing 20+ year old 14" Commodore (1084x series) monitors. ;)

Speaking of CRT TVs, does anyone know of a good TV that's smaller than 19" and has S-video and component inputs?

I've never seen a feature rich tv under 19". Then again it's probably possible. I'm just not a big fan of smaller sets although i have a few of them. Then again, they're not my primary displays either. Most of mine have the s-video but i don't see why someone would want component inputs on a small set. I can't imagine playing the newer games on anything under at least 20". Again, you may find a small set with such connections but i never came across any. All my crts are for older stuff and my big screen hd has the s-video and components.

Well, I'm mainly looking for a small TV because I'm not sure if my desk can fit a 20" TV. I've also been looking into getting an old 1702 monitor for cheap; I had one up until two years ago and I'd still be using it if it didn't break down on me.

EDIT: Did some measurements and it looks like the Dynex might fit on my desk.

Edited by ApolloBoy