IGNORED

Atari 2700 -- worth selling

pigsinspace

Hi

I am new to this forum yet a long time atari 2600 guy.

I have an atari 2700 (yes the wireless one that never shipped) in my closet. actually it has not been touched for probably 20 years. I worked at atari before and after TW sold the company. I worked directly for Leonard Tramiel as a game developer. one day he and I were at one of the warehouse across street from our building (full of left of stuff from the hay days of Atari.) and I saw the 2700 and asked if I could have it. the nice guy that he was said yes. probably figured less for the landfill.

I took it home got it to work and never did much since with it.

so my question to this forum is. From what I have read this box is very very rare yet if I put it up on ebay how much will I get for it. is there enough interest to justify me going through the hassle. is there folks out there with real money that want one?

from what I have read -- if this forum doesn't know no-one knows.

please advice

OK OK I just got it out of the closet. like I said I have probably not seen it for 20+ years. it does look like a prototype. instead of the flush mount buttons it has red buttons that stick out.

I knew it worked at one point because after I got it I tried it out. 2 of the button don;t seem to work any more (froze up) but I did put batteries in the remotes and they lit up. I am scared of applying power to the main unit since the button are frozen...

I just added a picture -- hope it worked

post-21299-1220558578_thumb.jpg

OK OK I just got it out of the closet. like I said I have probably not seen it for 20+ years. it does look like a prototype. instead of the flush mount buttons it has red buttons that stick out.

I knew it worked at one point because after I got it I tried it out. 2 of the button don;t seem to work any more (froze up) but I did put batteries in the remotes and they lit up. I am scared of applying power to the main unit since the button are frozen...

I just added a picture -- hope it worked

Very nice. My guess is that if you put it on Ebay you could get at least $2,000 for something like this maybe even more since they are extremely rare.

OK for $2000 it is definitely worth the hassle....

does others agree with the $2000 number

Should I take it apart and see if I can get the switches to work or leave that to the buyer.

OK I just got brave and powered the main unit up. it lit up and the buttons that work (all but the local and joystick button) appear to work. for example the b/w and color buttons switched lights. so the CPU must be doing something???

frankly looking close at it -- it is pretty cool looking...

I agree with the $2000 number or more. Start the bidding at $1500 or put a reserve on it or otherwise put it at what you want to get for it.

Or save it for another 20 years, and it'll probably be worth even more. *shrug*.

There are some nuts in this community with deep pockets, and this is a gem for them - although it seems like things have died down for retro collecting lately. Probably the new gen consoles having a lot of retro offering has something to do with it.

I wouldn't repair the button. The person who is going to go after an item like this and has the money for it is willing to do the repair themselves of have it done by someone who can do it.

Unless you're real comfortable with your chances of fixing the issue, that is.

Edited by Paranoid

That's very very cool.

And if you want to avoid Ebay fees, I am sure someone here would be willing to give you what you are looking for.

There are a lot of serious Atari collector's on this site and you have something we don't see everyday.

Very nice ! ! !

some good news

I hooked it up to a TV and placed a cartridge in it. I forgot how. haven't done this for years.

anyway

good is it appears to basically work and the one remote I tried did something.

I was able to get the knob on it to work but not the buttons. the select and reset button on the remotes appear to be non-working prototypes and I am not sure why the fire button does not work.

my guess is this unit was before they had the working low profile switches made and so that is why it has the red buttons and the 2 buttons on the remote do not work.

here is a picture to show proof.

I can't believe it work at all after so many years!!!

I noticed that your handle is Pigs in Space. Are you Bill Aspromonte? If so Defender II/Stargate is one of the best programmed games for the Atari 2600.

that would be yes.

glad you liked stargate. I worked very hard to make it as close to the original as possible. that was not easy given all of the limitation of the 2600.

OK allan

are you just trying to get on my good side with that picture of Stargate?

Hey Pigsinspace,

Do you have any interesting stories from Atari you'd like to tell? Some of us love to hear ex-atari employees talk about atari.

Allan

That's funny. I've actually had that as my avatar for a year or so. If you look really close you can see that it's a 5200 label. I made it for the prototype by Steve Baker. The picture came from the Apple II manual.

P.S. Welcome to Atariage.

Allan

I noticed that your handle is Pigs in Space. Are you Bill Aspromonte? If so Defender II/Stargate is one of the best programmed games for the Atari 2600.

that would be yes.

glad you liked stargate. I worked very hard to make it as close to the original as possible. that was not easy given all of the limitation of the 2600.

Neato. Stargate is definitely one of the best 2600 games. Nice work.

Oh, and double-neato on the 2700.

that would be yes.

I agree Defender II (as I've always known it) is an awesome game... one of my favorites. We're playing Defender in the 2600 High Score Club and I commented just yesterday that I've always preferred Defender II. :)

That's a nice little system you've got there. Post it in the Marketplace here on AtariAge and I'm sure someone will snap it up.