IGNORED

Almost Got Back On FF XI Today...

Tempest

I was close... Really close... Too close...

I was in Best Buy today looking at the RPGs available for the 360, when I noticed FF XI. I had totally forgotten that it had been released on the 360! Back in the day™ I was an avid FF XI'er. I shudder when I think of how many hours I wasted in that game (at least two years of my life). I was seriously contemplating picking it up, but thankfully came to my senses. It sort of reminded me of a former alcoholic almost having that 'one drink'.

It's not that I didn't enjoy my time playing FF XI, it's just that it completely took over my life. I wouldn't say I was 'addicted' to it like some people are to WoW (I did quit after all), the main problem was that if you didn't play every day you got behind. To do anything in the end game you had to be part of a linkshell (clan), and if you were part of a linkshell you were expected to help out and keep your stuff current. That meant playing just about every day, whether you felt like it or not. Eventually it became like a second job (a fun job, but a job nonetheless). Considering that I'm now in the middle of finishing my MBA, about to get married, and have a house to take care of, that just doesn't work anymore. It also meant that you didn't have time to spend on other games, movies, or friends. That was the straw that finally broke the camels back for me and made me quit. If only FF XI wasn't so demanding of your time, if there was a more 'casual' solo version (like you can do with WoW to some extent) I'd jump back in in a second. But since FF XI relies heavily on partying and keeping absolutely current with all your stuff, I just can't make the time commitment it requires.

I have a list of reasons a mile long NOT to get back into this game, but it still tempts me sometimes. Anyone else ever almost 'fall off the bandwagon' and go back to a MMORPG that they quit?

Tempest

Yeah, That's happened to me with city of heroes/villains :twisted:

I swear i must have stopped playing and then started up again a couple weeks later 6 or 7 times. it just was felt so repetitive i couldnt play for a long time. i always remember it as much funner than it actually is. :(

i always remember it as much funner than it actually is. :(

Yeah I have that fear as well. I quit once before for a good while then started up again only to find that I wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would so I quit again. I think you tend to remember only the good parts and not the bad.

Tempest

The MMORPG I played were free (Diablo 2 and Guildwars)

Diablo would delete your account after 90 days of not playing. Guildwars would not.

I booted it up a couple months ago and all my characters and equipment were still there.

I haven't played either much since getting the 360 in spite of buying the collectors editions of all the Guild Wars and in spite of the fact Diablo 2 is funnest when you start out at level 1. (Once you hit a certain level your just grinding to reach the next one usually just fighting Baal over and over and over and over)

It was ridiculous how much I played Diablo 2 when I got it. (I paid $5 for it and the expansion at Goodwill.) I probably invested 40 a week on that $5 game!! LOL I think reflecting back on that experience cured me from ever getting that into a game again.

Like you said, it was more a chore.

I played GW often when I first got it, but in shorter sessions. I actually prefer just playing the campaign and hooking up with folks to get through it. The level cap was level 20 so you could hit the cap fairly quickly. The Vs I played but wasnt all that into it.

I guess I'd feel obligated to play if I was paying a monthly fee. As it stands I do plan on getting back on GW eventually and playing through the expansions. Its nice to know I can and it wont cost me a penny more. I wouldn't ever play one of the ones that cost to play. Or the ones that require you to keep playing to get past certain parts of the game. Thats one of the reasons I didn't get FF on the 360 and why I never got W.O.W or the likes.